Urgent - a replacement rear shock.

MartW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just transferring this plea from the 'wanted' forum.

Anybody in Northern Ireland able to assist with a fairly urgent replacement spring strut/ rear shock for a standard (2003) 1150GS?

Hotel and ferry booked for a weekend trip to Scotland 21st April and trying to get this sorted beforehand - so as to avoid any potential nasty accidents in middle of nowhere...
I know the timescale is against me and it's very short notice, but any help or tips from NI based GSers would be greatly appreciated.

(I will be trying Clarence Bell first thing in the morning.)

Marty.

a friend of mine has a standard unit from a 1150 Adventure 2004 that he has replaced with a Touratech item
if intrested i can give you his contact info he could have it in the post this evening
Phil

Anybody in Northern Ireland able to assist with a fairly urgent replacement spring strut/ rear shock for a standard (2003) 1150GS?

Explain this a bit more please

Do you have a complete shock that you need fitted??

What is wrong with the one that is on the bike? They are pretty damn robust but they do get tired after 50 K

Explain this a bit more please

Do you have a complete shock that you need fitted??

What is wrong with the one that is on the bike? They are pretty damn robust but they do get tired after 50 K

Left the bike in for a quick service with Billy at BMC and he immediately flagged the rear shock at being on its way out, with way too much play - bounces down too far and comes back up slowly. Having read a fair bit of commentary on here I am bemused too, as there are only just shy of 16,000 miles on the clock??
Age seems to be the reason

Last edited:
Turn Your preload up and screw out the rebound screw!!!

if you are about 17 stone 3 to 3 and a 1/2 "HALF" turns in from fully out is about right

And preload set at about Moyen or medium plus a turn or so

@16,000 miles it will be fine! It would take about 10 mins to set it up precisely for you

- bounces down too far and comes back up slowly.

If your shock really is buggered I have a standard one in the garage you can borrow. It was taken off my bike at 34K when I put the Ohlins on. PM ME if you want it.

If your shock really is buggered I have a standard one in the garage you can borrow. It was taken off my bike at 34K when I put the Ohlins on. PM ME if you want it.

Cheers Mzokk, the kind offer is much appreciated. I'll bear this in mind if all other avenues prove fruitless.

a friend of mine has a standard unit from a 1150 Adventure 2004 that he has replaced with a Touratech item
if intrested i can give you his contact info he could have it in the post this evening
Phil

Cheers Phil, still in process of getting an interim 'fix' to tide me over, offer appreciated and I'll come back to you if needs be.

I'd try Dr F's suggestion first. Turn the preload adjuster clockwise and turn down the rebound a turn or two to the soft setting.

Shock issue sorted.
Thanks to one and all for the input, with special shout to Billy at BMC and additional input from Dr Farkoff.

As per other thread

Shock issue sorted.
Thanks to one and all for the input, with special shout to Billy at BMC and additional input from Dr Farkoff.

Back
Top Bottom