Not the Nordkapp again!

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Been a while since I was up at the top so to speak so weather permitting I fancy the long ride up over the Arctic Circle and see where I end up.

I've been up to the Nordkapp twice aswell as Grense Jacobselve and The Russian border and missed out on the Lofotens so I've booked the ferry from Newcastle to Ijmuiden and will have the pleasure of riding over that big expensive bridge into Sweden.

I've got a fortnight from 25th May and will ride north and see where I end up. I don't really want to freeze my balls off and my arse isn't made of asbestos so I doubt I'll be riding too many six hundred mile days but we'll see.

Fjord Norway is unbeatable but I'm always drawn north to the desolation of Lappland and at least travelling up through Sweden can shorten the distances a bit with the higher speed limit and straight(read boring) pine fresh flash forested roads which I rather like.

I remember seeing Arctic foxes, elk, reindeer, beaver and even some Muskox which were unusual so it'll be interesting to see what passes by in the landscape on this trip to the land of the midnight sun!

Hope you have a good trip..... I'm doing a Nordkapp run in early September - hopefully we'll see the wildlife that you did. :thumb

Sounds like a lot of fun! I have been to Norway twice on the GSA. The first time we went to Nordkapp, arrived there on the 13th of June! We hit a serious snow storm 150 miles south of Nordkapp!! The weather can be testing to say the least at the end of May, early June! I am hoping to go to Norway this year too, no dates set yet? I have had quote from Eurobiketrans, return trip from Manchester to Oslo. I would fly out from Scotland a few days later. Not sure if I fancy the boring miles to get to decent roads? You'll love the Lofoten Islands, had a visit there on my 2nd trip to Norway. Have a look at live web cams in Norway, lots of snow still lying around! Are you camping or using hyter huts?

Hi FP
I hope you have a good trip :thumb2
Been to the Kapp twice now , and I might go again this summer, the wide open desolate spaces have strange pull on some of us right enough :thumb2

Do you plan on using hotels or camping ?

Looks a fairly tough assignment to do it there and back in two weeks (14 days) from Salisbury it would be 340 miles each and everyday. No idea what the roads are like, but having seen some of the roads in Norway I'd think you would need to bank a few 500 mile days to keep the daily average up.

Looks a fairly tough assignment to do it there and back in two weeks (14 days) from Salisbury it would be 340 miles each and everyday. No idea what the roads are like, but having seen some of the roads in Norway I'd think you would need to bank a few 500 mile days to keep the daily average up.

True . I did 5000 miles there and back . The last day up to the nordkapp was 500 miles .

Took me 9 days to get there from Blandford a few years ago so add on 30 mins for Blandford to Salisbury. I did a a couple of long days but also some sightseeing on the way. Then another two weeks to get back via Lofoten Islands.

Took me 9 days to get there from Blandford a few years ago so add on 30 mins for Blandford to Salisbury. I did a a couple of long days but also some sightseeing on the way. Then another two weeks to get back via Lofoten Islands.

This is similar schedule to what I have planned for my trip in September. Nine days to get up there including a day off in Stockholm for sightseeing. Then two weeks to get back including a couple of days in Lofoten. :thumb2:thumb2

This is similar schedule to what I have planned for my trip in September. Nine days to get up there including a day off in Stockholm for sightseeing. Then two weeks to get back including a couple of days in Lofoten. :thumb2:thumb2

I'd do it again in a heartbeat if there were not so many other places to go.

Back
Top Bottom