Yes, the ABS pump failed.

StephenS

Reaction score
Good morning, RT people.

I could use a little help.

I have a 2007 RT with 17000 miles, which I bought 15 months ago at 10,000 miles.

I thought I got a good deal, but apparently sitting in a garage not being used much is not good for them.

My dealer in Plymouth tells me that the "brake fail" warning that comes on solid is a failure of the pump, and since it is a non-serviceable item, this motor+lump of alloy will cost £1300.

I've read other threads on here and on YouTube that suggest that the pump can be broken into and fixed. I rang Steve who runs a workshop in Luton (sorry, I have the name but it won't come to mind) who fixes them for £300ish.

Now Luton is a long way from South Devon.

Does any other mech offer this, a bit closer to home?

Will the modification invalidate insurance?

Should I just swallow hard and pay the dealer?

(They say the battery I ok, btw)

I do love the bike. I took my wife around the north of Scotland last year and it was magical.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve

Other costly repairs include the fuel gauge (common failure, apparently) and rear pivot bearing.

On a bike with 17000 miles. Humph.

It's a real shame that the RT does the job so well.

Does your man in Luton give any warranty, or fitting?

My mate repaired his himself as per some of the info available on the web. It lasted about 6mths . He sent his off to have it reconditioned but so far hasp lay covered about 1100 miles on it . Ill find out where he sent it as he was happy with the service and price.

As a 2007 bike, does it have the early Servo ABS or the later non-servo ABS ?

There is a big difference in complexity and repair costs between the two types. The later non-servo units are prone to sticking motor brushes which is a relatively easy fix. The earlier servo units are complex and prone to failing with a £1400 bill just for the pump itself without labour etc.

Might be worth calling Steptoe.

thats a lot of money.

consider removing it if possible - must be much cheaper option.

I'd prefer to spend 100:00 on a new battery just to prove it's not on its way out.
Make sure your brake light is working too and there's no corrosion in the bulb fixing

theres lots on here about this problem....make sure the rear brake switch is clean and working....also i believe the speed sensors need to be working cos that will affect the abs......a servosectomy is the cheapest option i believe and then youll have piece of mind it wont happen again...

consider removing it if possible

I'd prefer to spend 100:00 on a new battery just to prove it's not on its way out.

Don't remove it, bypass it
Check the battery voltage with a multimeter, should read 14volts, if only 12 volts or less the battery's nackered

Thanks for your replies.

I've done nothing yet.

I'm a bit concerned that if I take the cheap route, then I would have to declare a "modification" to the insurance broker.

Wierd engineering that designs a system where a fault in the abs can be impersonated by a rusty bulb socket, isn't it?

Thanks for the tip. I'll get on it.

Yes, it's a full fix and fit service, takes about three hours.

to be clear, this is with the engine running. Ignition off, the battery if good will read around 12.8volts

I have checked the battery with bike running and not running. 14.7v and 12.8v.

Also checked the brake light fittings. All looks good.

So it's looking increasingly like a proper ABS fail.

Thanks again for advice.

Does your man in Luton give any warranty, or fitting?

Steve at Motoscot guarantees the repair for a year.He also has loan bikes available.
I had mine done in March & it was about 2 hours from start to finish.
It's been faultless since.
I was talking to another customer there who had ridden up from Shrewsbury to Luton.

Steve at Motoscot guarantees the repair for a year.He also has loan bikes available.
I was talking to another customer there who had ridden up from Shrewsbury to Luton.

That's very good to hear, Wolfgang. Much appreciated.

I had my ABS fixed at Motoscot yesterday. Very friendly, competent crew. They lent me a bike to go down the road to the nearest greasy spoon for breakfast, and when I returned it was ready.

Brakes are sharper, ABS warning light is out, so far so good.

I did ask Steve what he actually did to improve the ABS pump, so that the fault would not recur, but he wanted to keep it as a trade secret. I can understand his point of view, but I would have liked to know.

Recommended fix at this point in time. If I get any problems down the line, I'll let you know.

Thanks to those posters who helped me sort this out. Much appreciated.

Steve.

Ps. It's a bigger of a long way from Luton to South Devon.

Back
Top Bottom