Random recalculations using routes shared from older units

DavidB

Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to the Pyrenees with a small group. Our routes were pre planned on Mapsource using older maps ( the Nav VI releases new maps earlier than Zumos). The Zumo 660 worked perfectly with this technique. I only upgraded to a Nav 6 after the 660 fell out the mount on my other bike and bounced down the road. I was warned that the Nav 6 doesn't like Mapsource and that if you want to follow the chosen roads, you need to open gpx routes using Basecamp and add shaping points to them. I did that but the Nav VI still recalculated them when they were selected each morning and changed the routes. It then recalculated them as we went, even recalculating for no apparent reason when it was actually on route; sometimes coming up with the original route again and other times creating a new one. It still recalculated the route with auto recalculate turned off and when set to prompted recalculate calculated anyway despite selecting NO. It decided for itself and recalculate regardless. Totally weird. Fortunately I could just follow my pals, trying to understand what was going on.

Still bemused when I got back, I contacted BMW customer service for assistance. Nathaniel replied, "I’m not technically trained in this field so I can’t answer the queries you’ve asked - The best thing to do is to go to your local Centre and a technician will be able to help." If there is a Basecamp/Navigator expert at my dealer who might have the answer, I've not met them, which is why I asked BMW in the first place: routing me back there is about as helpful as the Nav VI routing itself. Seems like BMW have the expertise to create this stuff, or at least get Garmin to do it for them, but lack the wit to train their people in its use.

Can anyone explain what's going on to cause this, and how to prevent it? For sure, someone will have the same issues and have solved them; I will keep trawling the web for a solution. And, if I discover it, I will post it on here.

Last edited:
just the obvious things to check first
1. The maps are the same on your PC and device
2. The activity profile on basecamp matches the settings on your device e.g. faster route, no avoidances enabled.

it is rumored in certain places that map source is not compatible with the newer garmin units how true this is is unknown. but garmin say to use base camp due to incompatibility.

As Pablo1 has said ensure that all preferences are set the same on the unit and basecamp. also there seems to be some who have problems when the unit is switched between car and motorcycle mode, in one mode it alters the route and in the other it does not, you could try that.

You've done the right thing by importing the old routes into Basecamp and adding shaping points but you may well have left the default settings in the Device Transfer Preferences in you profile which strips the shaping points when sending the device:

Device Transfer Preferences.

• It is critical that you set this up correctly.
  • Launch Basecamp..
  • Click on Edit..
  • Select ‘Options’..
  • Select Device Transfer
  • Make sure your Device is selected in the Drop down box..
  • Un-check all check boxes in this dialogue

Have a look here for a bit more detail and a screenshot:

http://www.wham-motorcycling.org/garmin-help/

Back
Top Bottom