GS-911 user in Berkshire? Brake failure light...

big_kitch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking for someone local with a GS-911. I live in Newbury.

I cleaned my rear brake calipers because they were binding and, having pushed the pistons in a little (finger pressure only), my brake failure warning message has come on. I have read that this can happen and am hoping it is an error that can just be cleared. If not, knowing the error would be useful.

I'm planning on selling the bike soon so can't justify buying a GS-911 and don't really fancy a dealer trip.

I was hoping someone could read and hopefully clear the error? I believe that this is possible without using up one of the VIN slots.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Have you tried the bike for a short distance applying both brakes ?
Did you do this with the ignition on ?

I have taken the bike for a spin and the light didn't clear. The ignition wasn't on when I pushed the pistons in.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Check the speedo sensor is clean and the connector by the rear shock top mount is also clean.

The rear brake caliper is easy enough to strip and new seals are only £20 so might was well do a top to bottom rebuild.

Hi Nick, you still looking for someone with a GS-911 to read your codes? Might be able to help you out with that one.

Roy.

The chances are its the rear speed sensor. They are a known reliability issue. If fiddling with the connector gets it working again there's a chance its a wire fault somewhere between sensor and main wiring loom.

Also, if your bike has a filament type rear brake light (early GS from 2004-2007) the rear lamp holders can corrode badly, causing brake failure warnings.

Hi Nick, you still looking for someone with a GS-911 to read your codes? Might be able to help you out with that one.

Roy.

Hi Roy,

I am still looking. I tried to send you a PM but got an error that you have chosen not to accept PMs? Would you be able to PM me?

Thanks

Nick

By way of an update in case it helps anyone else.

RoyF very kindly brought his laptop and GS-911 round which showed that ABS error codes 24048 (pump motor defective) and 24049 (power supply to pump motor faulty) were present. According to Google, these codes often mean the pump has failed. As well as the error codes, the pump motor voltage was showing ~3V when it should be about 0V.

My ABS pump failed in 2015 and I had it refurbished by Motoscot. I gave him a call to see if he had any pointers but he was unable without going his own more detailed diagnostics. However, he did say that one of his refurbished pumps had never failed.

Given the electrical elements of the error codes, and the fact that I had just washed the bike when the brake failure warning started (as well as having stripped the rear brake to clean the slider pin), I removed the tank to access the pump. I am pleased to say that a liberal dousing of the electrical connector with WD40 and a light tap of the pump motor has resolved the issue.

Happy days, and thanks for your help Roy!

You might have a less than ideal ABS motor but its easy enough to replace the motor or just the brushes. Vids on You Tube show how.

Back
Top Bottom