Harley WL 1942

Dozer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive always wanted a WLA and I recently got the chance to buy a bike that had been off the road since 1986. It needs a fair bit of work and recommissioning but its all there.

Its a 1942 ex Canadian Army WLC45 750cc, built in 1942 and shipped over for the war, used in Normandy in 1944 where it was damaged, but I don't know how or who by. It was shipped back to the UK in 1946 and sold to Warrs in London, where it had a new engine fitted and was 'civilianised' and sold on. I don't know what happened to it between 1946 and 1966. A guy bought it in April 1966, put best part of 50000 miles on it until he was knocked off it in 1986, he repaired it and put it away, as he hurt his leg in the accident and couldn't kick it over. I bought it off him through word of mouth 3 weeks ago.

The fuel tanks had rusted out and the Linkert carb was gunged up. I bought a pair of new tanks and had the carb rebuilt. After 31 years sitting in a garage, 10 minutes of kicking and she started!

I couldn't work out why every time I tried to start the bike the engine would run away, until I realised it had a 'push' throttle! This is the most difficult thing ive ever ridden. Push throttle, hand gear change, foot clutch and left hand advance and retard twistgrip! Ive ordered a pull throttle conversion kit as to be frank, the push throttle thing is terrifying. It also has very little in the way of brakes of any kind.... I changed the seat to a tractor style one as the sofa that was on it was weird, and stripped off all the extra lights, crash bars etc. Motorcycle storehouse still stock just about everything for WLAs as there are loads still on the road in Holland.

Its a great piece of kit, especially once I can learn how to ride the bloody thing..... Ill upload some better pics once I get it working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 349
Looks a treat - you rarely see 45's about these days...you used to see a lot more about in the 70s/80s.... enjoy it! :beerjug:

I can't ride the fucking things....try pulling out of a slight uphill t-junction turning to the right.....if you're more than 5'3".....

Me too. I can't multi task.

Loads of them round here....:D I can't ride the fucking things....try pulling out of a slight uphill t-junction turning to the right.....if you're more than 5'3".....

My first ride on a Harley was a 45 engined chop with BSA gearbox in the mid-70s....on a club run in the black mountains. It was....interesting! :D

Loads of them round here....:D I can't ride the fucking things....try pulling out of a slight uphill t-junction turning to the right.....if you're more than 5'3".....

Shall I cross a 45 off my wish list then......

My Dad had one until pretty recently . He fitted a hand clutch lever and cable and it was still "interesting" to ride. He's 84 now but still rides , used to race Vincent's so I guess used to all sorts of different engineering . I just wish he'd given me the option to buy it :thumby:

I must admit I haven't reached the 'fun' part yet, the bike seems to be deliberately designed to kill you. Both hands and feet are doing something all the time, and everything is the wrong way round!

I had it out again today but I don't think I'm going to ride it again until the throttle works on 'pull' and it has some form of brakes. Ive ordered the reverse twist grip and new brake shoes as the old ones are contaminated.

More pics, now awaiting delivery of a non suicidal pull throttle assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 166
Probably like the 1962 Vespa in my dining room. Better to sit and look at than ride. :)
I am not a Harley person, but these old ones really do look :cool: whereas modern ones are a tad :ymca

I'm a sucker for the old style fat front ends, balloon tyres etc. Ive got a modern fat boy and a 1949 Sunbeam S7, I love that look.

Attachments

• IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 57

Back
Top Bottom