Electra glide

lawvar

Reaction score
Ok guys play nice and be gentle
Like many on this site i have a R1200 gs i love the bike but its a problem for her indoors.
My wife has a knee replacement and cannot stand more than an hour as a pillion before it starts hurting.
My theory is that because of the seat and peg position she puts quit a bit of strain through the knee.
I was wondering if a glide would solve this for her as the seat would take most of her weight and she would need to support herself less through the legs.
Last year i had a harley 24 hour experience on a street glide and really liked the bike it handled much better than i thought and was fast enough.
I dont have a large budget so would be looking for the cheapest one i could get.
Anyone got any suggestions ?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can you afford a > 2010 model year?

What's your budget I guess, as model years, engines, frames etc all have an impact..

Tell us what year you can afford? then we can offer advice...

The difference between a Street Glide and an Electra Glide is immense so I would suggest you ask your dealer for another 24 hour road test before committing to spunk around £6k on a cheap, used Evolution :thumb2

I was thinking £6000 but cant find a thing so probably in dream land !
As little as possible as i dont want to px my GS.

I thought it was just mainly the back seat and top box ?
Main difference between them

Another option would be a Road King fitted with a sissy bar/luggage rack for you wife.
It would probably be a little cheaper than a Glide and just as comfy for her.
However it doesn't have a fairing, just a quick release detachable screen which is nice if your not blasting up a motorway.
But basically it's the same bike without a fairing, lower leg fairings and top box, plus a few other luxuries.

Ok- you will not get a Street Glide for £6k maybe £8k plus... Even for the earliest 2006 MY

£6k may get you an early TC Electra Glide,...if you are lucky.,,, But you would be able to get an EVO - but they are bum basic compared to a modern bike and the early FI bikes are to be avoided as an ECU replacement is £800 with no options other then a Carb conversion with associated faff.

I have a 1340 EVO Electra Glide, it is simply, mechanical and a decent enough ride... But be prepared to slow everything down a notch....the daft thing is a shity old 1340 big twin still commands north of £5k - but if you can up your budget a little, to say £8k you have a whole new world of choice from Glides to RoadKings.... Your investment is safe as well as they hardly depreciate.....

Lowered suspension, larger front wheel, seat, reduced electrics, different (lower) screen - that's about it.

Just a word of caution on the Electra Glide.

The Mrs and I used to tour on a R1200GS and then a K1600GT.

She wanted to try an EG cos they look so comfy for the pillion but although it was initially fine eventually she found the EG painful for her knee. Maybe it was the slightly tilted back seating position for the pillion and higher footboards which put to much pressure on her knee? :nenau

Ok my lack of knowledge is glaring here !!!!!
What about a carb evo what are they like compared to more modern bikes ?
Or even older ???????????

Thanks for the help so far guys

Agricultural....

you can get pillion foot board lowering kits that help with the leg bend....

Just a word of caution on the Electra Glide.

The Mrs and I used to tour on a R1200GS and then a K1600GT.

She wanted to try an EG cos they look so comfy for the pillion but although it was initially fine eventually she found the EG painful for her knee. Maybe it was the slightly tilted back seating position for the pillion and higher footboards which put to much pressure on her knee? :nenau

there is 2007 MY EG on eBay for £6995 - looks OK.. 44k which is nowt......

Replacing the standard seat with a Sundowner and adding a pillion backrest totally transformed passenger comfort.

I suggest a test ride with the pillion should the standard be present.

My 2006 1450 EG worked a treat for us, after my wifes hip replacement a few years back. Got her back into the swing of biking quickly & we even managed a 3k European tour 3 months later.

Personally, I think you need a budget of at least £8k, more if you want ABS 2007>. Just remember these are heavy old beasts, modern day antiques, that need respect & maybe a change in riding style.

My Evo Road king surprised me, when I got it. I didn't have the budget for a Twin Cam (unless it was a high-mileage one, and finding one that's had the cam tensioners done proved impossible). Upshot was I ended up with a 98 Evo. Yes, it's FI - I'm aware that this might go at some point, then a carb conversion for around £500 will be on the cards. What surprised me was how little it gave away in real-world terms to the TK I rode in the US. Of course it's slower, but it's still fast enough, cruises two-up loaded with luggage all day comfortably at 80 and returns 50mpg no matter how twattishly I ride it. Stopping is fine, if a little on the slow side - Goodridge hoses and EBC pads make a big difference. But I find it a capable machine, and I know that looked after it'll do mega miles. I may think about cams etc at a later date but it puts a smile on my face. Oh and depreciation is glacial if you get a good one.

Back
Top Bottom