Faulty NEW clutch plate?

G5RJO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted a new flywheel and clutch assembly onto a mates bike 12 months ago, 1150 Adv. New clutch was a sachs unit..

After an eventful day when he mixed the horn and starter buttons up (Don't ask) he needs a new flywheel... again as it has a few short teeth:blast

Anyway, I pull the box and the clutch plate splines are 90% gone:eek:

He's only done about a 1000 miles on it and he's not a wheelie monster by any means.. It was lightly greased upon assembly but is dry now and needs replacing.

Anyone heard of a dodgy batch of plates? Any reason for that to happen other than crappy metal? Gearbox input shaft is sound..

Roger.

Misaligned? Would that be possible? I made a clutch centring tool (Pleasures of owning a lathe), the box just dropped on, not forced on in any way. If its my fault then it's my fault but I've changed a few and never had an issue before... would have thought it would need a LOT of pressure to force the misaligned splines to mate...

It would take a large amount of force to join a misaligned clutch, so unlikely.

Worth contacting the supplier and email them a couple of picture's for reference.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Gearbox splines are A1. No problem at all.

The gearbox wasn't 'forced' on in any way. It ran happily for about 1000 miles before the owner's unfortunate incident with the 'horn button' or not as the case may be. The chewed flywheel teeth are not linked. I think I'll do as suggested and let Sachs take a look.

On close examination (I'd post pictures but can't get my old head round the procedure), the splines are clearly pushed one way, in the drive direction, as if severely overloaded. There's so little of the splines left I'm surprised it held at all.

Roger.

Doesn't really answer your question but just a hint that the only grease you should use on the spline is Molybdenum Disulphide (same as a car cv joint). Use of Copaslip or similar is the single biggest cause of rejected warranty claims by Valeo and Sachs - Europe's biggest clutch manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom