Soon to buy a 2009 F800GS

mcljot

Reaction score
... probably!

70k miles, which scares me - but the seller is legit (friend of a friend), and I have every confidence in him. And the price is right.

Cam chain and tensioner has been replaced.
Clutch has been replaced
Alternator is being rewound this week.
Valve clearances done recently
New oil cooler thing (next to the oil filter)
ABS, heated grips, OEM panniers and top box (the ones that extend)
Touratech sump guard and hand guards
Touring screen
Standard seat, standard suspension
Chain and sprockets replaced recently
Brand new Mitas E-07 tyres
One small crack on a plastic fairing, left side under the handlebar
Front wheel hub has minor corrosion

The paint on the ignition cover is a bit tired looking - not the really bad paint flaking and corrosion that I've seen on the forums, but could do with being touched up. Is it as simple as popping the cover off, blasting it or stripping it, and getting it re- powdercoated or re-painted?

I will be adding Adventure Spec (or similar) crash bars, and a plastic protector for the rear shock. And that's about it for the time being!

Have I missed anything there that I should investigate?

Thank you :)

Alex

There are some high milers 100,000 plus F800's on here. A quick search through the F650/700/800 section should familiarise you. One area to look at is head bearings as these can become notchy. At 70k they will have been done a number of times before. Not expensive just need doing.lastl how old is the battery? Folk fit motorbatt with sucess.

Steve

Thanks Steve, yep I've been back to the dawn of time in the 800 section :) Found that guy Micky and a few other high milers. Not sure how old the battery is, I'll check the prices of a motorbatt. Steering yoke bearings and wheel bearings done recently as well. I'm handy enough so can do any of that stuff that needs doing for only the cost of parts.

Resale value is the most offputting factor - is there a market for high mile F800s? I know that's a terrible way to think of things - "how much can I sell it for in a few years", but such is life unfortunately!

Thanks Steve, yep I've been back to the dawn of time in the 800 section :) Found that guy Micky and a few other high milers. Not sure how old the battery is, I'll check the prices of a motorbatt. Steering yoke bearings and wheel bearings done recently as well. I'm handy enough so can do any of that stuff that needs doing for only the cost of parts.

Resale value is the most offputting factor - is there a market for high mile F800s? I know that's a terrible way to think of things - "how much can I sell it for in a few years", but such is life unfortunately!

Ultimately its £ per mile. If as you say the price is right now and it depreciates to half that, can you live with it?
Are you buying it for the right reasons?
I rode a 100,000 KM f650 hire bike whilst in Malaga last year. It rode like my 20,000 mile bike. So as a user they are good options, as are many of the 1100/1150/1200's you see on here. Gut feel tells me an airhead will wear miles well and also hold its value better, since you see many 110,000 milers on here, hence my question are you buying it for the right reason eg is it the right bike for your needs?

Thanks for your critical thinking, it can be easy to fall in love with the idea of a bike :) But I'm pretty sure it's right for my needs.

I have a 2008 Husaberg FE550E road legal enduro bike and a Kawasaki KX250 off roader. I want something with touring and green lane ability that can transport luggage and occasionally a pillion passenger. The options are Transalp, XT660Z, Africa Twin, F800GS, that kind of thing. I think the F800GS fits my needs better than the others - more grunt, more off road capability, 6 speed for covering distance. Smaller and more manageable than the bigger options - 1100/1150/1200GS, Super Ten, etc. I'm pretty confident the fit is right, and I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead with it unless something drastic turns up with the bike before next Saturday (unlikely).

Here she is - painted orange. I'll see how I get on with that colour, and might consider changing it in the future.

34040261316_0ab1c4abe5_z.jpg

Good luck with the bike. I think you will love it.
If its condition is good, just keep on top with regular washes and ACF50/FS365.
As with any bike, once neglected they suffer but if taken good care of they can last and last.

Grand choice, I've had 3 X 650GS twins & now riding a 2013 700GS...
All being cracking bikes, sadly the 800 is too tall for me..
Enjoy your new steed....

Unfortunately research tells me that the rewinds only last between 20-30K, as the fault is not fixed- you need a post 2013 stator and flywheel :(

Thanks for the responses, folks.

gspod - what's the price on a rewind vs. a post-2013 stator and flywheel?

Thanks for the responses, folks.

gspod - what's the price on a rewind vs. a post-2013 stator and flywheel?

Rewind was about £130 and regulator was over £100. New from Bmw around £600 I believe - I guess you may source a second hand one.
So I suppose it depends on how much mileage you intend to do.
Great bikes by the way

Hi folks, proud owner of this machine. Drove 250km home from purchase, and then did a 350km round trip today to get the hang of her. Loving everything so far :) I'm not sold on the colour but will leave it for the time being and see if it grows on me.

Will be adding a few farkles soon - I think I've decided on the Heed crash bars. Anybody with a reason not to buy these, please let me know!

33526486564_381eec4379_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom