Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Just trying to put some of this together and would appreciate a little help.

1/
I've read all or most of the post in other threads re the buying of the HEX EZCAN from the States and the WARNING from someone who appears to be a customs official/authority. My son will be going to Disney World next month with the family and I was wondering if I could have it delivered to he's rental property to bring back....As anyone done this and if so which mail order company would you recommend ?
2/
As anyone got a link to where I can buy these camera's, the Garmin X seems to be 'getable' BUT the XE is pretty rare and extremely pricey.

Warlord....Do you think I would get the same quality and info if I used the Garmin X front and rear instead of the XE front facing?

Thank you for the this great thread and hopefully I'll eventually get this going BUT I'm more of a Brian Potter that a Harry Potter....fingers crossed :mmmm

All my rear facing video is using the Garmin Virb X. If you are happy withthat you'll be fine.

The only real benefit with the XE is being able to get better light levels at night, and 60 frames per second enhancing slow motion

Riding into the fog..... and met another UKGS'er today :bow

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/__Z_I1tfC7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like snow. Give me a few months and it'll be here :D

Nice!:thumb2 I'll see your fog and raise you with some snow!:D

enjoyed watching that. Picture looked good, what the heck happwned at 02:10 looks like a crash. Intake temps were 4 degrees, was it just water on road or black ice?

I must be the weirdo that watches peoples video's (at 04:30am) from start to finish and actually enjoy them.

Are you happy with your camera setup?

I've read all or most of the post in other threads re the buying of the HEX EZCAN from the States and the WARNING from someone who appears to be a customs official/authority.…

That warning was from UKGSer's own stout guardian of our shores, Robin Quaint One. He's now on paperclip counting duties, hi-viv'ed up, with a clip board and stubby pencil. Proceed with great caution, mate.

That warning was from UKGSer's own stout guardian of our shores, Robin Quaint One. He's now on paperclip counting duties, hi-viv'ed up, with a clip board and stubby pencil. Proceed with great caution, mate.
Cheers Wapping....Will do :thumb

enjoyed watching that. Picture looked good, what the heck happwned at 02:10 looks like a crash. Intake temps were 4 degrees, was it just water on road or black ice?

I must be the weirdo that watches peoples video's (at 04:30am) from start to finish and actually enjoy them.

Are you happy with your camera setup?

Cheers. Yes pretty happy with picture although it does seem to lose some resolution when uploading to YT.

The roads were incredibly clear, I don't know how they do it, it's almost like they are heated! The wet patches were just water but we were riding on the assumption it could be black ice!

We could decide if that bike had crashed or broken down. The bike did seem to be off of the road but the chaps were smiles and waves when we went past so whatever it was it clearly wasn't serious.

Regarding the date format, I will have to check, I don't remember doing anything specific to change it.

Ok great, I'll take another look at my date setup as there have been a few Virb Edit Software updates recently

great footage in the the snow, that pass still on my to do list!

wish I had got my arse into gear earlier and had the cam setup before August. had some great runs up and down the Slovenian passes! after doing those roads I had to get somthing sorted for next year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PROBLEM

Hmmm, I thought the front camera would be the problem in the wet.

But it seems, on the GSA anyways, the rear camera is getting the worst weather abuse.

While out in heavy rain, the front camera is deflecting a lot of water, and seems to be handling it all no worries.

But the rear camera is in line from the rear wheel spray, so not only water but grit and mud.

It's penetrating past the door seal, fogging up the lens and Ive found muddy water residue on the inside of the camera case.

So I'm unsure whether to buy a new door and seal (as my camera was second hand and I don't know its history), or manufacture a small Virb X splash guard to protect it from rear wheel spray. :augie :augie :(

Hmmm, I thought the front camera would be the problem in the wet.

But it seems, on the GSA anyways, the rear camera is getting the worst weather abuse.

While out in heavy rain, the front camera is deflecting a lot of water, and seems to be handling it all no worries.

But the rear camera is in line from the rear wheel spray, so not only water but grit and mud.

It's penetrating past the door seal, fogging up the lens and Ive found muddy water residue on the inside of the camera case.

So I'm unsure whether to buy a new door and seal (as my camera was second hand and I don't know its history), or manufacture a small Virb X splash guard to protect it from rear wheel spray. :augie :augie :(

Buy the seal and make a guard, double bubble

had a reply from garmin about the virb app being buried in the sub menus
and the reply is what i expected from Garmin:-(

I refer to your recent enquiry concerning the above. Unfortunately there is no way to customise the order, sorry about that.

had a reply from garmin about the virb app being buried in the sub menus
and the reply is what i expected from Garmin:-(

I refer to your recent enquiry concerning the above. Unfortunately there is no way to customise the order, sorry about that.

Oh well, at least you tried.

In my search for keeping the rear camera a bit more protected from the water spray, I found this on Amazon.co.uk for £6.48 but you can get them cheaper off eBay at £3.99

Tuff-Luv Silicone Gel Skin Case Cover for Garmin Virb X / XE Camera - Black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0156A8X3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think its more designed to protect against knocks and bangs, but should also assist keeping water spray off. Going to give that a go and see if it keeps the worst off before I spend £40 on a new front repair kit.

I'll have to cut the side open for the Rugged Power Cable to fit it, but that should be OK.

I've ordered a couple at that price, so I can play around with them and try get the best setup for protection during Winter and Bad Weather only

Attachments

• Virb Case.jpg
    Virb Case.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Virb Case 2.jpg
    Virb Case 2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Virb Case 3.jpg
    Virb Case 3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 296
Just thinking about how these Gel Covers work.

It's going to be harder to remove your battery, memory card and open the door to access anything, so that'll take a bit more time.

But that's also a good thing for when its on the bike as it'll be harder to just pop the front open and steal the memory card etc. At £60 each they're not cheap.

It'll also make the camera look less expensive and hide the Garmin branded case

Back
Top Bottom