Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Will be interesting to find out how transfer of data goes. This thread has given me some good ideas, pity that loop mode is not a continuous loop but at least I did not make the mistake of using before heading off.

I look forward to your ideas :D

OK doing a few quick trials, and with the loop set to 30 min you get the files in 6 minute sections with a new loop starting if you stop and start the camera. This is a good solution for me So I will run with this for awhile and see how it goes.

Another issue though, it takes for ages to get a lot of data off the SD card. ewven with USB 3 it is a slow process. Also the conversion seems to take ages, and I am running a fairly high spec I7 .

Very interesting thread, I was following someone on a GS yesterday at Calais tunnel with a rear facing Virb, you by any chance?
My question is on the ODB module,i have one of those but I didn't realise they connect to the GS, I thought only the GS911 connected to the BMW bike range?

Very interesting thread, I was following someone on a GS yesterday at Calais tunnel with a rear facing Virb, you by any chance?
My question is on the ODB module,i have one of those but I didn't realise they connect to the GS, I thought only the GS911 connected to the BMW bike range?

Not me, my bike's at home.

Try your OBD2 ELM327 device, see if it works

Where do I plug it in?

Assuming you have a EURO4 bike with standard OBDC it's Behind your battery cover.

If you don't have a EURO4 bike, you'll need to ask someone else on here if there is an adapter port?

Please can you advise whether you think upgrading from the Nav V to VI is worthwhile and second if travelling with only an iPad it's probably best to carry a micro SD for each day.

Is setting continuos record easily achieved ?

Thanks

Regarding the OBD2 ELM327 and the gear position not being correct, do you think a different OBD2 ELM327 would resolve the issue ?

Instead of buying a number of very expensive 128 gb micro SD cards, consider something like RAVPower FileHub Plus,Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion

What I don't know is how you know you have uploaded your days recording onto it unless you can view it on the iPad

Assuming you have a EURO4 bike with standard OBDC it's Behind your battery cover.

If you don't have a EURO4 bike, you'll need to ask someone else on here if there is an adapter port?

Mines a 2015 lc don't know if that makes it Euro 4 or not.

I already have a business haha. This is supposed to be my hobby :p

But thank you, I've liked how this is turning out :thumb:thumb2

Anyways, on the camera you can set it up on a rolling 5, 10, 20 or 30 minute recording file.

So if you have a notable experience, you can simply stop recording, and restart a new 30 minute file.

If someone pulls you over, just leave the camera recording. It'll overwrite anything older than 30 minutes anyway unless you start a new file.

If you want it to just record everything, then you'll have 10 Hours 30 Minutes worth on a 128GB MicroSD Card. Which is plenty for a days riding.

Lots of options basically, but just TURN OFF the recording via the Navigator VI screen if you want to go for a blast with the hills and sheep. Up to you.

Yes in deed very clever. I have read this with real interest. Please let me know when you are able to put the instructions on YouTube. I have all the bits needed except the OBD2 dongle but i am going to order that today and then start to play with setting it all up. Thanks

I have just found the OBDLink MX 426101 ScanTool Bluetooth: on amazon. I says it works with windows and android. I assume this will work ok? As Frearoony says it does have to auto off feature.

I have just found the OBDLink MX 426101 ScanTool Bluetooth: on amazon. I says it works with windows and android. I assume this will work ok? As Frearoony says it does have to auto off feature.

If you buy this, let me know if it works, and let me know if it gives you more data.

Yesterdays rideout video. All BMW R1200GS's in the wet over a 30 mile ride.

It's about 50 minutes long but includes wet weather and some advanced techniques. In this video we don't stop for roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic queues. The only time we stop is at the beginning for route instructions and at an Ordered Stop midway.

Full on bike telemetry and rear view with front camera (picture in picture) format.

The bike behind has just fitted the Hex EZCAN and has additional auxiliary lights (top two), we were testing them out on this ride.

Hope you like this nice progressive ride and enjoy it for what it is, a lads day out on our R1200GS's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterdays rideout video. All BMW R1200GS's in the wet over a 30 mile ride.

It's about 50 minutes long but includes wet weather and some advanced techniques. In this video we don't stop for roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic queues. The only time we stop is at the beginning for route instructions and at an Ordered Stop midway.

Full on bike telemetry and rear view with front camera (picture in picture) format.

The bike behind has just fitted the Hex EZCAN and has additional auxiliary lights (top two), we were testing them out on this ride.

Hope you like this nice progressive ride and enjoy it for what it is, a lads day out on our R1200GS's.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QABZuNOpwRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes it was 19c today and it's in the middle of our winter! 21c tomorrow so starting to warm up.

You're really making me want to buy one of these Virbs!! Really had enough of the bloody GoPro

Yikes it was 19c today and it's in the middle of our winter! 21c tomorrow so starting to warm up.

You're really making me want to buy one of these Virbs!! Really had enough of the bloody GoPro

Haha, yes this setup for motorcyclists is very good.

What is it about the Virb that you like, and what is it about the GoPro that you don't like?

Haha, yes this setup for motorcyclists is very good.

What is it about the Virb that you like, and what is it about the GoPro that you don't like?

I like the dedicated charging solution for the Virb and it's also waterproof. I've been having charging issues on the bike with my Session and Hero5 Black, I sold the Black because I had enough of it. I also had a lot of problems with the remote losing connection all the time.

I just want something that is reliable.

I like the dedicated charging solution for the Virb and it's also waterproof. I've been having charging issues on the bike with my Session and Hero5 Black, I sold the Black because I had enough of it. I also had a lot of problems with the remote losing connection all the time.

I just want something that is reliable.

That was my main objective, reliability and ease of use. I prioritise that more than video resolution. No point having ultra fantastic 4K HDR camera if the bloody thing isn't charged, or file sizes are so massive your laptop can't process it.

Convenience is a major issue for motorcyclists. Camera equipment has to be easily available and ready to go, anytime, in any weather.

The noteable pro's and con's I've encountered so far..

Pro's

- Neat rugged looking camera and suits the GS.

- Rugged hard wired cable means always charged and ready.

- GoPro mounting means easy to attach any where on bike

- 128 GB storage card gives 10.5 hours continuous at HD 1080p.. thats a lot of footage

- I love that you can connect the Virbs together as Master & Slave

- I love that you can connect OBD2 telemetry data

- I love the Garmin Virb Edit software as its so easy to upload front, rear, and telemetry to produce a video. And its free.

Cons

- The Master / Slave link isn't reliable when also connecting bluetooth devices. It doesnt always turn on the rear camera when using remote. So I now just flick rear camera onto record before I ride off. It's as if the bluetooth data exchange interupts with wireless connection somehow.

- The desiccant moisture cards inside the camera HAVE to be completely dry (baking them at 80 degrees for 10 minutes) until they turn Blue in colour. I've compromised some footage already with moisture fogging on lens because of not drying out cards. I'll be interested to see how much of a problem this will be in winter (going from a warm dry garage into freezing low temps and rain)

- For a 50 minute YouTube clip it takes around 10 hours to download and render it all. I currently have to download each camera footage separately (which can take about 1 hour each if the cards are full), then it 'optimises' which can take up to 2 hours, then I can create the video. Then it has to be rendered which can take hours. Then it has to be uploaded to YouTube which takes around 3 hours on a 20Mb upload speed.

So THIS is my biggest gripe and I'm only shooting 1080p. It would be horrific for 4K footage.

I've now just invested in a 5 Terabyte storage device, a fast USB 3 MicroSD card reader and hope it'll make it more convenient.

I'm resisting the urge to buy a new desktop with massive processing power to easily speed things up, as I'm not a pro film maker. I just want footage every now and then to show my mates.

Would Likes

- I'd like to find a way to show 'Current Gear' selected on video telemetry.

- I'd like a UK date format in the Virb Edit Software for onscreen display.

- I'd like to have an automated screen width rescale based upon speed. So at 40mph or less the video is at WIDE mode. 40mph to 60mph the screen records at NORMAL mode. Above 60mph the screen records at ZOOM mode. All automated.

Reason being for rear camera footage, the faster you go the more distance there is between you and whatever is following you. So to bring them closer would be great.

Back
Top Bottom