Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Are you downloading the content from the SD while still in the camera? If so, I would recommend getting a SD card USB adapter to read it directly as it should be much faster

Are you downloading the content from the SD while still in the camera? If so, I would recommend getting a SD card USB adapter to read it directly as it should be much faster

I am yes.

How it works currently is I get home, put bike in garage. Bring down laptop and connect directly to Virb Camera and leave it downloading while I go do something else. Then repeat for other camera.

I've since recently (and still awaiting delivery) bought a Kingston USB 3.0 High Speed Card Reader. So I'm hoping to be able to remove the cards from the Virb's and upload directly onto my 5TB Storage Device via my laptop and Garmin Virb Edit software.

My Laptop is a bit old, but its a DELL XPS 15 L502X (Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4 Ghz - 4GB RAM - 64bit Windows 10 Home)

Any way of downloading that doesn't involve your laptop and wifi would speed things up. But - are you wiping the SD card each time, or are you just downloading that particular day's footage and allowing the camera to overwrite the next day? If you are overwriting, then the less times you take the sd card in and out - may prolong the life of the slot in the camera?

That said - perhaps the socket for downloading might be equally susceptible to wear.

al

But - are you wiping the SD card each time, or are you just downloading that particular day's footage and allowing the camera to overwrite the next day? If you are overwriting, then the less times you take the sd card in and out - may prolong the life of the slot in the camera?

That said - perhaps the socket for downloading might be equally susceptible to wear.

al

When I've downloaded the footage off the MicroSD Card (once I've verified the footage is safe) I format the cards before I start the next ride out.

So at the start of each recording session the MicroSD Cards are freshly formatted.

I can't connect my laptop via Wifi Directly to the Garmin Virb Camera. So this isn't an option for footage download.

The Virb Wifi is used to communicate between other Virb Camera's and the Mobile Phone App.

On the Mobile Phone App I believe you can download video footage to your phone, but I doubt it is quick.

I think the weakest link in all of this will be my Laptop's processing ability to 'optimise' and 'render' the footage.

Even if the download from the camera to my laptop is lightening fast. My laptop still then has to process it all.

My Broadband speed is reasonably fast at 20MB upload, so can't complain to much about that either.

Attachments

• Broadband.jpg
    Broadband.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 340
Its the Wi-fi within your own house that will limit speeds.

Well that doesn't make sense to me as my laptop is hardwired to the router in my home office. So uploading it to the internet is at the above speeds, as that's where I did the speed check earlier.

Downloading the footage from my Virb Camera's onto the laptop is hardwired also. Even if I use the USB 3.0 card reader, that's hardwired.

Also, my wifi setup at home has an absolute beast of a router. One of the fastest out there for hardcore home environments MU-MIMO (Multi User, Multi In Multi Out). Regardless of whether you are on a Surface Pro Tablet, Smartphone, Laptop, Playstation 4 Pro, XBOX One, Smart TV Streaming 4K HDR Media, it does it all, at the same time !!

We've got over 50 connected devices at home and this router does them all. Its a beast.

NETGEAR R9000-100EUS Nighthawk X10

AD7200 802.11ac/Ad Quad-Stream MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Router with 1.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor and Plex Media Server

- 802.11ac Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi plus 802.11ad WiFi - Up to 4600+1733+800 Mbps wireless speed

- 60GHz 802.11ad WiFi - Fastest WiFi technology for instant downloads and backup

- Plex Media Server - All your movie, TV show, music, video, and photo collections at your fingertips. Anywhere you go, on the devices you love.

- High-Performance Active Antennas - Better WiFi coverage and faster speeds

- Powerful 1.7GHz Quad Core Processor - Fastest processor for home router for better 4K streaming, VR gaming, surfing, or anything you throw at it

When I'm uploading to the internet, contention in our street is minimal, so the upload speeds are genuine and stable. It's a very fast setup for domestic residence.

My Broadband speed is reasonably fast at 20MB upload, so can't complain to much about that either.

Yes, it is reasonably fast, but always remember that Mbps is Megabits (Mb) per seconds, not Megabytes (MB).
Also, that is your upload capacity. It doesn't mean the server on the other hand will always match that speed, depending on what/who you are using.

I randomly read a few things here and there in this thread, but out of curiosity, how can it take you 10 hours to download a 50 mintes 1080p video connecting to the camera via (presumably) USB cable (assuming USB2 connection)?

How big is the file?

Yes, it is reasonably fast, but always remember that Mbps is Megabits (Mb) per seconds, not Megabytes (MB).
Also, that is your upload capacity. It doesn't mean the server on the other hand will always match that speed, depending on what/who you are using.

I randomly read a few things here and there in this thread, but out of curiosity, how can it take you 10 hours to download a 50 mintes 1080p video connecting to the camera via (presumably) USB cable (assuming USB2 connection)?

How big is the file?

Does the laptop not throttle the speed? Caching or something?

No. It should not. Also the wifi generally would not affect the speed and he said he is running on cable (good).
10 hours to copy 128GB (assuming the card is full) of data seems a bit too much. Takes me less to move stuff like that on my server, connecting from home connecting to the office via VPN...

Regarding the processing time, the video seems to be 30fps, keep in mind your laptop has to change the fps and apply the overlay. Even though it is not that much to process.

- For a 50 minute YouTube clip it takes around 10 hours to download and render it all. I currently have to download each camera footage separately (which can take about 1 hour each if the cards are full), then it 'optimises' which can take up to 2 hours, then I can create the video. Then it has to be rendered which can take hours. Then it has to be uploaded to YouTube which takes around 3 hours on a 20Mb upload speed.

Ah, ok, I initially misread.
I assumed 10 hours for download and processing only! That seemed a lot.
This is still a lot, but makes more sense now.

How big is the file?

The file sizes can be up to 128Gb on each camera which is around 21 HOURS of footage, audio and telemetry data. So you download everything and then pick out the various clips and amount of footage you want, to then create a 50 minute final cut video. But you need front and rear footage to be able to flick or switch between both (or picture in picture)

So its the initial download of everything that's the killer. Not the 50 minutes that you end up with as a final cut video

Ah, ok, I initially misread.
I assumed 10 hours for download and processing only! That seemed a lot.
This is still a lot, but makes more sense now.

I'm not going on exact time's as its way to long to actually time it. But it is HOURS

Approximates for the start/finish time of a 50 minute video...

Front Camera (128GB Card) Download all footage and data to Laptop (takes around 1 Hour)
Front Camera (optimising... a process the Virb Edit Software does to pre-render the footage and G-Metrix) takes around 2 Hours
Rear Camera (128GB Card) Download all footage and data to Laptop (takes around 1 Hour)
Rear Camera (optimising... a process the Virb Edit Software does to pre-render the footage and G-Metrix) takes around 2 Hours
Video Editing (myself picking out bits and sticking them all together, checking stuff, messing about) takes around 1 hour
Garmin Virb Edit Software Rendering a final movie takes around 2 Hours
Upload to YouTube takes around 3 Hours

Frickin 12 hours of my life gone (Ok so I'm not actually around while my laptop is working its nuts off, but still 12 hours !!), just to get one 50 minute video out, that most people won't be interested in anyway haha.... must be mad !

But it is still an awesome setup for holidays and special events. In the meantime I think I'll just wipe the cards at the end of each rideout unless something SPECTACULAR needs to be downloaded

I'm not going on exact time's as its way to long to actually time it. Bit it is HOURS

Of course, it makes sense now.
Initially I misunderstood and assumed it took you up to ten hours just to download and automatically process 50 minutes of uncut video footage. That was a bit too much and was trying to troubleshoot where the problem might have been. But as you explained it, the time it takes sort of makes sense.

Frickin 12 hours of my life gone, just to get one 50 minute video out.

And almost no one is watching 50 minutes of road riding.
No one is watching 3 minutes of someone skydiving these days: rule of thumb, keep it short and sweet :)

I kept reading over your set-up as the work done is very interesting... my two cents: unless I got it wrong again, if you are recording 60fps on the front and 30fps on the rear, you basically waste rendering time re-adjusting the fps to 30 when you do the final edit. You can shave some minutes/hours there. ;)

Of course, it makes sense now.
Initially I misunderstood and assumed it took you up to ten hours just to download and automatically process 50 minutes of uncut video footage. That was a bit too much and was trying to troubleshoot where the problem might have been. But as you explained it, the time it takes sort of makes sense.

Indeed :beerjug:

And almost no one is watching 50 minutes of road riding.
No one is watching 3 minutes of someone skydiving these days: rule of thumb, keep it short and sweet :)

Except my elderly Mum... haha, and the lads on the ride who just want to watch themselves on the TV

I kept reading over your set-up as the work done is very interesting... my two cents: unless I got it wrong again, if you are recording 60fps on the front and 30fps on the rear, you basically waste rendering time re-adjusting the fps to 30 when you do the final edit. You can shave some minutes/hours there. ;)

Ok now that is useful, because the front camera is recording at 60 fps, and the rear only has 30 fps at 1080p. So I might just set the front up at 30 fps then if it gets produced at the lowest common frame rate.

Thank for that :)

But, having said that, I never know which angle I want the footage from.

So in the event of an accident where the front camera is the main point of interest, I'll want the full 60 fps footage which I'll have if I keep it as it is..

Arrrrrrgh :bow

Ok from now on, 5 Minute Video's is all I will do, MAX.

But I still have to get my footage off the camera's quickly :thumb2

I could go back to the original write over files but the telemetry data gets messed up.

So it is best just start the recording and leave it on permanently as the telemetry data is secure, but I then have a massive video file to download.

Rock and a hard place.... :blast

Except my elderly Mum... haha, and the lads on the ride who just want to watch themselves on the TV

haha :D
I know, I do upload a lot of footage I record from the bike on YT, mostly for storage and to share with a few friends.
But usually, people drop after a minute or so.

I did some editing here and there for fun every once in a while, but I mostly just cut the file off the gopro and drop it online these days :)

Ok now that is useful, because the front camera is recording at 60 fps, and the rear only has 30 fps at 1080p. So I might just set the front up at 30 fps then if it gets produced at the lowest common frame rate.

Thank for that :)

No problem!
The videos you posted here seem to be at 30fps. So I'm assuming the software is dropping the frame rate. That could be CPU intensive and take some of your rendering time. When working with a lot of footage as you do, having the same source material helps to speed up editing/processing times ;)

I could go back to the original write over files but the telemetry data gets messed up.

I don't really know how the virb works, but the telemetry data has to be timecoded. That would avoid you to render the full footage (to overlay the data visuals) before editing.
IE: you edit your 5 (or 50) minutes video and the data overlays are applied only to the relevant clips you are gonna use.

I don't know that software, so up to you to figure how to do that out – sorry :D :)

Anyway, thanks for explaining your set-up. Pretty interesting and good to know.

FWIW... my YT vids are only a maximum of 15 mins but more often between 5 and 10.... This is mainly down to the time it takes just to make the video anyway. :D

Back
Top Bottom