Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Right, having done some research I'm going for it.

I've decided to order a Garmin Virb XE camera (front facing on my bike at 1080p / 60 FPS) and the lower specced Garmin Virb X for rear facing 1080p / 30 FPS.

They will be hard wired into my new HEX EZCAN device on the aux channel. My new Aux Lights on left and right channel and the remaining channel for extra rear brake lights.

The Garmin cameras will have 128GB memory cards on a loop recording and paired together with the front camera (host) rear camera (slave).

The front/rear video footage is GPS timestamped and will auto syncronise.

Now the clever stuff.... the cameras are paired also to my Bmw Navigator VI satnav. I can use the screen for recording on/off etc.

But... it should also upload the bikes telemetry data in sync with the video recordings. How much data I dont know yet, but playback should be epic, showing video footage, GPS, speed, revs, altitude, heart rate... tons of stuff.

Also, the Sat Nav is paired to my phone which is paired to my Bluetooth headset in helmet. So audio from microphone should be overlaid onto camera footage.

All with no wires!!

Cool (if I got my info right and if it works).

Hi,

I am putting together a similar set up as time and money allow. Have my navigator vI and have picked up a Verb XE and a Verb X. Also got the bracket for mounting the Verb XE at the front. Hopefully will have the cameras mounted the weekend. I need to get the rugged power cables and wire them up and a couple of questions have arisen as follows:

1) For the rugged power cable I have come across a couple of options which can be seen at the following links;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543204

or

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/515318

The first is what I think you have used which is a straightforward power cable with the advantage of plenty of length.

The second includes a connection for an external mic and a video out connection.

Just wondering if as in your post below the bluetooth set up worked in giving you voice over on the video as if it did not the second option essentially gives a way of doing this.

For connecting power of have a fuse Block unit that allows powering of up to 6 accessories and can be configured to switch power to accessories on off with bike power by using a switch wire from something like the rear light. I also am looking to power a two way radio unit and possibly phone so probably 4 to 5 accessories. With this in mind I am just wondering which would be better the Fuse Block unit or the HEX EZCAN.

Any advice or comment would be appreciated.

Regards
B

A good thread keeps getting better.

An excellent mixture of advice, decent amounts of self help (so at least people are trying to work things out for themselves) and clear explanations where required. The Travel section could learn something from it.

Hi,

I am putting together a similar set up as time and money allow. Have my navigator vI and have picked up a Verb XE and a Verb X. Also got the bracket for mounting the Verb XE at the front. Hopefully will have the cameras mounted the weekend. I need to get the rugged power cables and wire them up and a couple of questions have arisen as follows:

1) For the rugged power cable I have come across a couple of options which can be seen at the following links;

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543204

or

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/515318

The first is what I think you have used which is a straightforward power cable with the advantage of plenty of length.

The second includes a connection for an external mic and a video out connection.

Yes you are correct. The first cable is what I have (x2) one for each camera, connected to my power source (HEX EzCan). The 10M Rugged Cable.

Just wondering if as in your post below the bluetooth set up worked in giving you voice over on the video as if it did not the second option essentially gives a way of doing this

Yes the bluetooth Headset option does work. But the quality is not as good as having a wired in microphone.

I did look at the other cable option but had two main concerns

1) The camera appears to connect to this Combo Cable via a USB Connector (which I would then question its 'waterproof' properties).

2) The Microphone Port, again 'waterproof' properties and also where would you host the microphone location? Inside your helmet? or on the motorcycle? Either way, waterproofness and connected wires?

So for the Rugged Waterproof, go anywhere, do anything option... Bluetooth might be better as a compromise.

Or the perfect scenario in my opinion is a THIRD camera mounted on your helmet with a hard wired microphone connected to that. :bow Then you can forget Bluetooth voiceover, and use the Bluetooth channel on the Virb Camera for something else.

A good thread keeps getting better.

An excellent mixture of advice, decent amounts of self help (so at least people are trying to work things out for themselves) and clear explanations where required. The Travel section could learn something from it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the 3 in 1 cable, looking at the photo of it I thought it connected to the camera with a similar wrap around type clamp to the charging cable or the rugged cable you have used and the 3 connections including the micro usb at are at the other end. I thought the micro usb is used for power/charging connection and a lead with a male micro USB is needed to connect it. I was thinking of using a male micro uUSB to Std USB coupled with a USB outlet to connect it to power on the bike.

For the audio connection, I intended to connect this with a lead to the passenger lead of an Inta-Ride Hawk Bluetooth Two/Way Radio/intercom unit that I am also going to install. The idea hear is that once I hit the PTT button on the Hawk and transmit the audio will be recorded on the camera, that way I can record only the commentary I want to the raid, all hardwired on the bike but using a bluetooth headset so no wires connected to the rider and all bike powered except the headset. Was thinking connections could be positioned appropriately for protection from the elements and maybe heat shrink the connections if necessary to be on the safe side.

Video connection wouldn't be used normally. The rugged cable is mooted as great for rugged environments, such as adventures on ATVs, motorcycles and more so must be weatherproof to certain degree and am thinking should be able to make it watertight.

On having a look after you raised the question I found this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523385

which seems to be a cable to connect from the Mini USB on the combo cable to a power supply.

Any thoughts o the Fuse Block vs the HEX EZCAN??

Well I have now used the Virb setup on my trip to the Top of Australia. I did the following in the short prep time I had.

1) Mounted the Virb by Ram mount to crash Bar using long extension between two ball mounts. Stuck the quick release mount to one end so I could easily remove camera , and used a fishing trace for extra security.
2) Used 128 gig card in the Virb and set to 30 minute loop mode which gave 5 min segments. When I wanted to save I stopped and started the Virb through the Nav Vi.
3) Downloaded using spare cable to 1 Terra bite hard drive when time permitted.

Observations:

I have not rendered the data yet but the camera worked flawlessly in rain cold heat and very rough dirt road conditions. I have ordered a Hex Cam setup and will buy a second Virb so I can have front and rear crash cams.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the 3 in 1 cable, looking at the photo of it I thought it connected to the camera with a similar wrap around type clamp to the charging cable or the rugged cable you have used and the 3 connections including the micro usb at are at the other end. I thought the micro usb is used for power/charging connection and a lead with a male micro USB is needed to connect it. I was thinking of using a male micro uUSB to Std USB coupled with a USB outlet to connect it to power on the bike.

For the audio connection, I intended to connect this with a lead to the passenger lead of an Inta-Ride Hawk Bluetooth Two/Way Radio/intercom unit that I am also going to install. The idea hear is that once I hit the PTT button on the Hawk and transmit the audio will be recorded on the camera, that way I can record only the commentary I want to the raid, all hardwired on the bike but using a bluetooth headset so no wires connected to the rider and all bike powered except the headset. Was thinking connections could be positioned appropriately for protection from the elements and maybe heat shrink the connections if necessary to be on the safe side.

Video connection wouldn't be used normally. The rugged cable is mooted as great for rugged environments, such as adventures on ATVs, motorcycles and more so must be weatherproof to certain degree and am thinking should be able to make it watertight.

On having a look after you raised the question I found this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/523385

which seems to be a cable to connect from the Mini USB on the combo cable to a power supply.

Any thoughts o the Fuse Block vs the HEX EZCAN??

Sounds really good.

Never used a fuzeblock so can't comment sorry.

Well I have now used the Virb setup on my trip to the Top of Australia. I did the following in the short prep time I had.

1) Mounted the Virb by Ram mount to crash Bar using long extension between two ball mounts. Stuck the quick release mount to one end so I could easily remove camera , and used a fishing trace for extra security.
2) Used 128 gig card in the Virb and set to 30 minute loop mode which gave 5 min segments. When I wanted to save I stopped and started the Virb through the Nav Vi.
3) Downloaded using spare cable to 1 Terra bite hard drive when time permitted.

Observations:

I have not rendered the data yet but the camera worked flawlessly in rain cold heat and very rough dirt road conditions. I have ordered a Hex Cam setup and will buy a second Virb so I can have front and rear crash cams.

I'd like to see some footage once its ready.

I'd like to see some footage once its ready.

Will take some time as there is a lot of data, I am just starting to work out how to do the editing side of things. My mates were so impressed with this set up that two of them did the same and ordered on the go. I have just ordered another XE as the X isn't much difference in price. I have a high quality OBD blue tooth reader I use for my Range Rover I just need the cable extension which I will sort. Will do a better install now I am back and have some time to spare. Your thread was very helpful , One of the guys on the trip purchased an X in Cairns and used his watch to turn on and off so there are other options besides the Nav.

Very good.

If you have the OBD2 port by your bike battery. Just connect it there.

I bought the OBD2 extension cable as a fault finding excercise but the connection dropping issue turned out to be the 'extended/main' setting.

Give it a go and you may not need the extended OBD2 cable.

I received my OBDLink LX today http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/ and can confirm it does work with the VIRB XE.:thumb2 I brought this one rather than a cheapy chinese job as it is supposed to be the fastest on the market, they claim 4 times as many samples per second as the closest competitor. It also powers off automatically so no battery drain worries.

It paired first time no problem. it has a little button you press to make it discoverable.

On initial testing I wasn't getting any data in Virb Edit.:confused: I finally figured out that having the WiFi and the Bluetooth enables at the same time caused the issue. Disabled WiFi on the VIRB and the OBD2 data was captured as expected. Will do a proper test with it tomorrow.

It is quite tight in the side panel by the battery so I may get an OBD2 extention cable so it can be located under the seat.

Only Issue I have now with the Virb is I'm a getting a bit of shake and vibration from the bike in the video. I currently have it mounted on the top of the headlight with the included Virb Quick-release mount which is a neat solution but might need to look at some other options to isolate the vibs.

Thats good news. I'll upgrade my OBD2 to the OBDLink MX version as it does other brands like Ford and GM.

Will be useful for other family member cars in cases of emergency. And can reset Service Indicator on our BMW R1200GS bikes I understand.

What I'm also very interested in... does the LX give you any more data than you've seen with my cheapy version?

What I'm also very interested in... does the LX give you any more data than you've seen with my cheapy version?

I don't think so, OBDII sensors are:

Engine Load
Coolant Temperature
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed
Intake Air Temperature
Throttle Position

Thats good news. I'll upgrade my OBD2 to the OBDLink MX version as it does other brands like Ford and GM.

Will be useful for other family member cars in cases of emergency. And can reset Service Indicator on our BMW R1200GS bikes I understand.

That's why I bought the MX because I have a Mazda 6. Still waiting to get the Virb though but getting closer.

But I'd also heard on the grapevine that these Garmin Virb XE and X models can also connect to OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth devices.

This means you can connect it to your BMW R1200GS OBD2 Port and suck lots of really juicy data out of the bikes ECU, AS YOU RIDE ALONG.

So I bought this one off Amazon.co.uk last night, which arrived today and I connected it up.

It took about 10 attempts as for some reason the Bluetooth Search on the Garmin Virb XE couldn't find it.

But after repeated attempts it did find it, and it now connects everytime without trouble.

I fitted it to the OBD2 port and put it in a waterproof bag (upside down) to protect it from water ingress.

Hi Warlord,

Hope you don't mind all the questions and am grateful for your help. As per earlier posts I am pretty much copying you set up and now have the Nv VI and the cameras set up and working. Still need to get the Garmin Rugged Power cables for the Virbs and wire them up so they are powered by the bike.

I also got a LUJII OBD2 ELM which I want to set up. You mention fitting the to the bikes OBD2 Port. Does it Plug straight in and do you know where the port is on a 2017 GSA?? Wen you plug it in I assume its powered by the bike, is it always on or does it turn off when the bike turns off?? And finally do the Virbs just find it and connect automatically when their bluetooth scanning/search is activated.

Be grateful for any help and advise.

Regards

B

Hello,

The OBD2 connector is behind the bike battery cover. This is the plastic triangular cover by your right leg shin as sat on bike.

Yes the OBD2 data reader is powered by the bike and the connector. No further wiring is needed.

The OBD2 bluetooth adapter you are using doesn't turn off. Its always powered up. So if this is a concern you'll need to unplug it.

You can buy a OBDLink LX or MX model which auto powers off, but only when it senses battery voltage drop. These are x7 or x10 the price.

The Virbs will detect this device (once connected to your bike) and Blutooth Scanning. It'll then automatically connect each time you turn on the camera.

Remember, tge Virb may not find your OBD2 scanner the first time, so keep scanning for it until found.

Oh and don't forget to post some YouTube clips of your video footage. Especially how you've set up your telemetry data.

Thanks for that. Yep will try and get a few youtube vids up once I figure it all out?

Back
Top Bottom