Navigator VI and Garmin Virb XE Camera

Hello,

The OBD2 connector is behind the bike battery cover. This is the plastic triangular cover by your right leg shin as sat on bike.

Yes the OBD2 data reader is powered by the bike and the connector. No further wiring is needed.

The OBD2 bluetooth adapter you are using doesn't turn off. Its always powered up. So if this is a concern you'll need to unplug it.

You can buy a OBDLink LX or MX model which auto powers off, but only when it senses battery voltage drop. These are x7 or x10 the price.

The Virbs will detect this device (once connected to your bike) and Blutooth Scanning. It'll then automatically connect each time you turn on the camera.

Remember, tge Virb may not find your OBD2 scanner the first time, so keep scanning for it until found.

Warlord, do you have a particular power-up sequence for the bike/camera? I've found that I'm not getting the OBDII data everytime I ride.

I've done a quick test vid. I'm still unhappy with the vibrations coming through the mount. Excuse the dodgy music was just playing around with the VIRB edit music clips.
Footage is also rather boring, average speed check camera section on the M4!:sleep

Warlord, do you have a particular power-up sequence for the bike/camera? I've found that I'm not getting the OBDII data everytime I ride.

I did have two issues at first with the OBD2 data reader dropping out. Both issues I resolved.

There were TWO situations of no OBD2 data.

1) When video record is on 'loop' mode.

In loop mode if the OBD2 telemetry data is being recorded FRESH onto a new file then it seems to be available in the Virb Edit Software. Right up until that file is overwritten during it's intended 'loop' phase.

The second the recording starts overwriting the file (in loop mode) then the telemetry data gets corrupted and it suddenly stops working. You then won't have any OBD2 Data to upload on that video clip.

The way I got around this was to just put it in standard Record mode and leave it running... So basically NO loop mode. I have huge 128GB memory cards so it's ok to have continuous recording of up to 10.5 hours.

This way the OBD2 data is a constant feed to the recording file and it doesn't get overwritten and messed up. You can still keep the file sizes short, by remote control stop/start a new recording file manually. This keeps the OBD2 reader telemetry data flowing and clean.

Pain in the neck, but it is what it is.

2) When using two camera's (Front and Rear) together in Main/Extended remote control mode.

The 'extended' Rear Camera would not connect to the OBD2 Reader. To use the rear camera with OBD2 Reader you have to make sure you put them both in Main/Main mode. Which means you will lose the 'remote control' feature on the rear camera. The front camera will still work on remote control, just not the rear. The front camera will also work if you connect the OBD2 reader directly to that (in this setup the rear can still be in extended mode and acknowledges the remote requests ok).

I think in this 'Extended Mode' instance the issue is with the Bluetooth Connectivity getting messed up on startup. Which is when the OBD2 Reader Bluetooth gets dropped in favour of the remote connection to the other camera.

Best make sure the intended OBD2 connected Virb is in Main mode only.

Hope that helps

I've done a quick test vid. I'm still unhappy with the vibrations coming through the mount. Excuse the dodgy music was just playing around with the VIRB edit music clips. Footage is also rather boring, average speed check camera section on the M4!:sleep

On the rear top right hand corner of the Virb XE you will see a 'security bar' intended to tie a securing leash to it.

If you get a small cable tie, you might be able to leash the top of the camera to the mount (or other anchor point). It may just stop the camera vibrating on its mount enough to get a more stable image. It'll also act as a tether point to help you keep the camera safe while in transit.

Maybe worth a try?

In addition to that, I'm guessing you've already activated the 'stabilise image' option in the Video Menu on the camera?

On the rear top right hand corner of the Virb XE you will see a 'security bar' intended to tie a securing leash to it.

If you get a small cable tie, you might be able to leash the top of the camera to the mount (or other anchor point). It may just stop the camera vibrating on its mount enough to get a more stable image. It'll also act as a tether point to help you keep the camera safe while in transit.

Maybe worth a try?

In addition to that, I'm guessing you've already activated the 'stabilise image' option in the Video Menu on the camera?

Yes got image stabilization on already. I tried two different mount options, the one in the vid is the VIRB QR curved sticky mount attached directly to the top of the headlight unit. I figured this would be ideal as the headlight is already rubber mounted. I have also tried on an indicator mount bracket and I can visibly see the bracket vibrating at certain rev's. It's not terrible but would be nice to eliminate.

Cable tie option might help but as I commute into London every day I need quick detach so it's not really a practical option.

With the indicator mount, although you can see it vibrating, have you actually tried it with camera on and got any footage. Is it as bad in the video?

Did you see my comment above about the OBD2 reader solutions?

Did you see my comment above about the OBD2 reader solutions?

Sorry, yes. Unfortunately none of those scenarios are applicable, I also have a 128GB card so not doing loops and I only have the one camera.

Re the indicator mount, am seeing some vibs in the video footage, not sure if its worse or better than the headlight mount, not much in it!

Sorry, yes. Unfortunately none of those scenarios are applicable, I also have a 128GB card so not doing loops and I only have the one camera.

Re the indicator mount, am seeing some vibs in the video footage, not sure if its worse or better than the headlight mount, not much in it!

Ok. Hmmm.

Next time you are out pull over and just double check your OBD2 is still connected to your Virb Camera.

If it's constantly disconnecting, buy a 1 meter OBD2 extension cable and relocate under seat. See if it has a better connection.

Hi,

Well I've been trying out the NaV VI, Virb front and back cams and the LUJII OBDII and having a few problems.

I connected the cams with there WIFI with the front as main and the back in Join mode. Connected the Nav VI and the OBDII to the front camera.

On first test recording kept turning off I think because front Virb battery was low. Did manage to get a record a few clip but no OBDII data. May be the OBDII disconnected without me realising it. Front camera clips had no G Metrics info I think because GPS function was off. On clips from the rear camera I got G Metrics info and could display same in the video but no OBDII info.

Tried again yesterday again having some issues. Firstly noticed for some reason I can't seem to get the NavI and the OBDII connected at the same time. Connect one and the other then drops off. So connected the OBDII and then used the IPhone app to connect and start recording.

When I imported the clips and play them there was a set of gauges/info displays across the bottom for OBD2 info but just dashes i.e. no vales displayed. In a clip from the rear camera I got speed reading on these but no other info. I did notice if I click on the G Metrics button in the create video screen theres lists of files or logs of data there. I assume there must be a method of adding this to the video but haven't got that figured out yet, will have another go today.

Also with the front Virb when I connect it to the Lap top and started Verb Edit it showed an update available so I have now installed this so hoping this might sort out some of the glitches as well.

When I get an anyway decent clip I'll post it up

Be grateful for any comments or pointers.

Regards
B

Ok, I'll try to help...

On first test recording kept turning off I think because front Virb battery was low. Did manage to get a record a few clip but no OBDII data. May be the OBDII disconnected without me realising it. Front camera clips had no G Metrics info I think because GPS function was off. On clips from the rear camera I got G Metrics info and could display same in the video but no OBDII info.

Firstly, some suggestions and fault finding.

1) Make sure you are not connecting your Nav VI to your Front Virb via the Virb Bluetooth Menu.

Only the OBD2 Reader must be listed and connected in the Virb Bluetooth Menu. So delete any other device that may be paired in the Virb Bluetooth Menu.

The only way you should be connecting your Nav VI to your Virb is via the Nav VI menu option to connect to it. if that's how you are doing it already, great. If the Nav VI periodically disconnects from the Virb, that's normal, for some reason it just does that.

2) Set up the camera's as Main/Main (for now until we get things working correctly). So don't connect them together as Master/Slave. The OBD2 Reader should connect to the front Camera and remain connected. If it's losing the connection, it might be related to location (I bought a 1 Meter OBD2 extension lead and relocated the OBD2 reader under my seat.

Also, not a connection issue, but just make sure the Video Menu on the Virb is not set up on recording loop mode. Loop mode can corrupt the OBD2 data and stop it from being available.

On the Virb Camera, always make sure the GPS is turned on.

3) When you import BOTH video's from Front and Rear Camera's into Virb Edit, the software should recognise that they are linked.

Now select a sample clip from your Media Library and the Virb Edit Software will ask you if you would like to enable Multi-Cam Editing. Say Yes.

Then select the 'Editing' option. You can also get here by double clicking the 'two cameras' icon on your video timeline (they are always situated in the middle of the timeline clip).

Then ensure your G-Metrix Source is set to FRONT Camera (as this is where your OBD2 Data reader is connected). It might be defaulting to REAR camera which is why you can't see anything?

Attachments

• Virb Edit 1.jpg
    Virb Edit 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Virb Edit 2.jpg
    Virb Edit 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 405
Another video from today's ride around Derbyshire in England.

Narrow lanes, through a river, cattle grids... nothing taxing and just for fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nKm7NC-9_Co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok. Hmmm.

Next time you are out pull over and just double check your OBD2 is still connected to your Virb Camera.

If it's constantly disconnecting, buy a 1 meter OBD2 extension cable and relocate under seat. See if it has a better connection.

So I've been doing some more testing with the ODBlink LX, as you suggested I got an extension cable in case engine heat was an issues. No change. it seems the Bluetooth connection itself is not the problem, it connects to the VIRB every time no problem. The issue is it does not seem to pick up any ODB data from the bike and thus does not transmit anything to the camera. Power and Bluetooth LED's good, but the ODB and transmit LED's show no signs of life!:confused:

I did a reset, hooked it up to my laptop via bluetooth and it started working, re-paired it to the VIRB and hey its working. did a full ride to work and got good data for the complete journey. Then rode home at the end of the day and yet again no frickin data!:mad:

Anyway, long story short, I brought one of the cheap £5 ODBII adapter off eBay and so far it is working perfectly and giving me data every ride!:clap

I think the issue is that the LX is going into sleep mode and then not coming back out of it properly. looking on the forums it may need a firmware upgrade/downgrade as certain versions are flaky. I need to play some more when I have time. My advise in the mean time would be stick to the £5 eBay jobbies!:thumb

Wow, and I've just spent £70 on the OBDlink MX version. Haha.

Thanks for the info. I'll just use my MX for service light resets and my cars then.

At least now you have the extension lead, you can easily unplug the cheapy OBD2 reader when you dont want it on Standby

the MX may be fine, and my LX may work properly with a firmware change hopefully. Otherwise as you say service light reset on the cars!

its a shame the cheap one doesn't have the LED's on the end like the LX/MX as I could check them without having to take the seat off.

Hi,

So been tricking around trying to get everything to work and am getting there slowly but surely. Here's s link to a clip of what I've been able to do so far.

Getting certainly done of the info from the OBDII now and the gushes/readouts across the bottom of the screen appeared automatically.

https://youtu.be/nl3RFKJwkig

There's a couple of the guages not showing any readings, not sure if this is normal or because I'm not getting a full read out from the OBDII but in the Data tab in the Virb Edit software there doesn't appear to be any listings for the these.

Warlord I notice you have time and date on your videos, how do you get that to display.

Happy with the Burns and video so far, just need to get a bit more time to sort out the guages and improve the look/layout and save as a template.

Be great if there was a wider library of templates somewhere that you could just import.

Be grateful for any comments, advice or input.

Regards
B

Another video from today's ride around Derbyshire in England.

Narrow lanes, through a river, cattle grids... nothing taxing and just for fun.

Question: Why does the speedo in on the screen in the clip attached to this post max out st 60 mph? What happens if you hit 61 or more?

Question: Why does the speedo in on the screen in the clip attached to this post max out st 60 mph? What happens if you hit 61 or more?

The speedo and revs guages all automatically calibrate based on the maximum readings in the Telemetry data for that particular video clip.

If I had been on a race track doing 180mph and 15,000 rpm, the guages would recalibrate to show that.

Time and Date are in your gauges drop down options

I am still following this and have now just received a second camera. One thing I have noticed is that the battery life when the camera is sitting is not to good, battery dies even when the camera is off. My thoughts are that since I have it set to auto start the GPS is running in background and uses up the battery. As I don't ride daily this may turn out to be an issue, I want to use the cameras as front and rear crash cams.

I have also just received the Hex ezCan and will get that wired in, I had two USB ports directly wired and this was a battery drain issue even with the Virb removed , I am thinking to program the USB ports for 30 minutes after ignition off, although I have no idea about Hex Can program at present.

Back
Top Bottom