Routes required, Caen to Cannes, along with the usual...

As others have said some of the RDGA will be shut until about first week of June.
It's normally shown here on the Alps Portal but I can't see winter closures with dates,just some of the passes still blocked.

You could always make your way to Lyon,have a fantastic meal and stroll in the old town .I can recommend a nice hotel with parking then do one of the days I just did but in reverse . Link here.

Admittedly the Combe Laval is more impressive when approached heading north but it would still be stunning.And you would still see it and the Col de Rousset then do the best bit of the Route Napoleon with a break in Castellane on the way.

Stay in Castellane 2 nights then head along the coast past Antibes and Nice etc and do some of the RDGA which should be mainly open by then.

You could get from Castellane to the top of the Col de Turini easily in a day and stay at the lovely Hotel des Trois Vallees which is full of rally memorabilia.

Then head north.

If any of this fits in let me know if you want more routes and hotel recommendation

imho, if you are trying not to piss off your wife by doing too much riding in a day, you are plannng to do too much. I would cut back on the time in the saddle and just how far south you go

so you are away for 9 days can we assume thats 4 days down 1 day in Cannes and 4 days back, would this include your travel from the uk to Caen, as Wapping has said a little more info will help, can you and your other half cope with 200, 300, 400 mile days wich one, you say you maybe camping, do you plan to break camp early doors or 10am, do you mind pitching your tent in the dark, all this will impact on what advise or route people may suggest.
We are all different and what suits on may not suit you.

I Have responded to Wapping in post #18. Seems like you are asking a very similar question.

As others have said some of the RDGA will be shut until about first week of June.
It's normally shown here on the Alps Portal but I can't see winter closures with dates,just some of the passes still blocked.

You could always make your way to Lyon,have a fantastic meal and stroll in the old town .I can recommend a nice hotel with parking then do one of the days I just did but in reverse . Link here.

Admittedly the Combe Laval is more impressive when approached heading north but it would still be stunning.And you would still see it and the Col de Rousset then do the best bit of the Route Napoleon with a break in Castellane on the way.

Stay in Castellane 2 nights then head along the coast past Antibes and Nice etc and do some of the RDGA which should be mainly open by then.

You could get from Castellane to the top of the Col de Turini easily in a day and stay at the lovely Hotel des Trois Vallees which is full of rally memorabilia.

Then head north.

If any of this fits in let me know if you want more routes and hotel recommendation

Sounds like a good recommendation there Martin. I shall grab all the info you can provide, especially as far as B&B and hotels concerned with secure parking for the "Fat Cow" and your recent trip to Castellane is the sort of thing I'd love to do.

imho, if you are trying not to piss off your wife by doing too much riding in a day, you are plannng to do too much. I would cut back on the time in the saddle and just how far south you go

10 hours a day will piss me off not only my wife, I think 6-7 is very reasonable with 20-30 breaks every couple of hours I think is not impossible. Most south I'd be getting to, would be Cannes. But if I was to get there I would need at least 1 day of the bike and have a bit of a chill time.

Sounds like a good recommendation there Martin. I shall grab all the info you can provide, especially as far as B&B and hotels concerned with secure parking for the "Fat Cow" and your recent trip to Castellane is the sort of thing I'd love to do.

Remind me tomorrow night when I have more time

So many sites to choose from, I am lost now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Avignon, typing this. Did the Tunnel, stopped in St Quentin on the first night after an afternoon train. Headed down to vichy with Garmin set to no toll roads. Took me through the Loire and its tributaries including the Dore. Lots of flatish countryside with endless monocultures in between the river valleys. Trip from Vichy to Avignon was excellent through 2 national parks - Livradois and Ardeche (famous gorge).

Avignon is a decent base for a couple of days. I went to the top of Mount Ventoux today but had to come down the same way as the northern side is still iced up. Then did some lower valleys in the Luberon, lots of single track roads and a fun ride along the D900 back to Avignon, until it got clogged up with traffic.

They key, now or in May, is to be flexible - I deliberately booked 3 nights here in Avignon as I knew even if the weather is crap I could find something to do but I have had blue skies. At the top of Ventoux, the temperature dropped to 13C, 23 C in the city. When I left Vichy, going across the Livradois it dropped to 6.5C and drizzled a bit. I was glad I packed the electric waistcoat. Like me, you may find some roads still shut or reshut due to ice or snow. Prepare for the changeable weather with a decent layering system. In May you can go from 30C in a valley to -4C at 2000m.

In a past year, I set off from a Le Havre crossing, arriving lunchtime, overnight in Blois on the Loire. Then headed down into the Massif Central and stopped in Le Puy. Hopped over the same National Parks to stay on the Rhone at Pont Esprit - did some daytrips around the Ardeche. Route home was through the Cevennes, Lot & Tarn Gorges then Loire again. Stopped in Meyrueis, Millau, a friends place near Rocamadour and then Tours. Saw loads of rivers!

Wherever you end up, Ev, have a great and safe ride, bud.... fair play to you for cramming that in 9 days.... I will be taking in the Alps and lake como, via the B500 in the summer, and swmbo stated "no hotel, no trip" :D:hide

Wherever you end up, Ev, have a great and safe ride, bud.... fair play to you for cramming that in 9 days.... I will be taking in the Alps and lake como, via the B500 in the summer, and swmbo stated "no hotel, no trip" :D:hide

Cant tell right now if I am cramming it in but I shall play it by ear. Swimbo suggested we camp odd night if weather is nice. if it is raining it is a non starter. I rather have a lighter luggage when two up, so may deliberately forget the tent at home :D to save me lugging unnecessary weight about and not use it at the end of the trip.

I'm in Avignon, typing this. Did the Tunnel, stopped in St Quentin on the first night after an afternoon train. Headed down....!

Sounds like you are having a great time. Thank you for sharing some helpful information. I am relatively new to France and it is a huge country so taking into perspective I shall look a bit more at the road maps, draw up a few lines and see what we get.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Just so we all have in mind what it is you want, is this summary correct:

Nine days less two off the bike = 7 days. I take it that you roll off the ferry on the morning of day one and roll onto it in the evening of your last day in France, so that is nine full days in France. I only ask as we sometimes discover that the period away includes a day or two for the bod to get from their house in England to the ferry and a day to get back.

Start point and end point Caen. Destination, Cannes... but not necessarily.

200 to 250 miles a day, down some decent roads. I guess you don't mind a bit of motorway where it makes sense.

Pillion on the back.

Things to see...

Maybe a bit of camping, though I am not convinced on why. It strikes me as a faff if you are only away for a few nights, as it certainly does not speed things up.

Anything I have missed before everyone suggests you go to the Ardennes via the Millau bridge?

Here is a route of roughly the way i would go if i was taking this trip trying to do and see some of the things you want to.
This would be the outward route taking in the loir, Perigord Limousin, the Lot valley, the Gorges du Tarn, Avignon and the gorge du verdon, to name but a few of the areas of outstanding beauty, with a rough distance of 850 miles, this does not use any.. tolls or motorway, and will take you through some of the best France has to offer.
As i have said this is just a rough route of the way i would go.

Forgot to mention basecamp gives a none stop time of 24hrs so thats about 4 days of your 9 at your 6-7 hrs a day to give you an idea.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• route c to c1.jpg
    route c to c1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 188
That looks good leedude. :thumb2 If the OP goes that way he could visit Oradour-sur-Glane when passing Limoges.

That looks good leedude. :thumb2 If the OP goes that way he could visit Oradour-sur-Glane when passing Limoges.

It only took 39 posts. Not a record but not bad just the same. Lose 15 biker bonus points for not mentioning the Millau bridge in the same breath.

Now, what about the dude's (to coin the usual expression) return journey?

Back
Top Bottom