AF-Xied engine vibration at 2500-3000 revs

Ruby

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2011 GSA with 16000 miles

I purchased the bike with the AF-Xied already fitted (the chap said it had only just been fitted and needed a few tanks of petrol through the system before it'd make any change).

So, I have recently started to notice (over the last 30 miles or so) a engine vibration at 2500-3000 revs. I first thought that something was coming loose and rattling at a certain frequency.

Probably reading too much into this vibe I first thought it might be the fact I'd put too much oil in for topping up (although it isn't above the red circle).

Then I thought it might be the crappy supermarket petrol that I've had sitting I. The tank over the winter :-/ so I topped up with super unleaded.

Then today I thought it could be from when I recently changed a battery to one of those odyssey ones and I might have forgotten to put the ground wire on the battery terminal when I replaced the battery. So I just checked that and it is blinking away when I turn the ignition on, there's no loose wire dangling about. So as it's flashing away and I can't really remember if there was a terminal on the old battery or not I assume it is grounded to some other point on the bike chassis?

So I should imagine that it is working ok?

That then brings me back to the vibe.
Is it indeed a normal noise of the bike. I have to warm you I'm new to the GS and it's air cooled boxer engine. I've had the Jap inline fours, V twins and V fours.

So am I infact worrying about nowt or do I need to now change he setting of the AF-Xied from its current 7 blinks? :-/

Any help to stop my possible needless worry appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Sometimes when you change the battery, something (not quite sure what exactly) has to be reset/recalibrated using the GS911 diagnostic tool. Just a thought.

"If" you decide to take the AF units off for any reason...........keep me in mind for them.

Sometimes when you change the battery, something (not quite sure what exactly) has to be reset/recalibrated using the GS911 diagnostic tool. Just a thought.

"If" you decide to take the AF units off for any reason...........keep me in mind for them.

Cheers, I had heard you'd possibly got to rev the bike a few times with the engine off for the bike to start, but it started fine so I never did owt else.

Will do ;-)

Can anyone who has the AF-Xied fitted just confirm for me that the ground wires on the unit are the thin black wires that run from each control box?
If this is the case, both of these wires on my unit travel forwards with each wire so I should imagine they are grounded on the chassis/engine somewhere.
I would imagine that the AF's wouldn't blink if they didn't have the ground wired connected?

Also, do most AF users with a TC have their units on setting no 7?

Cheers

Richard

Aww Keith. If only you had known who was selling the bike before Richard had bought it. :rolleyes:
Ok Richard. Let's look at your concerns. Firstly, seven blinks at ignition on is fine. I run mine at eight, but it's a man thing.
The previous owner is correct in what he says about running a few tanks through it before it's adapted fully. I would say maybe a thousand miles.
The vibration at around 3k is normal for these engines. Just like Keith's. :D
If you've been raised on a diet of jap fours and the like, you may find the R1200 engine a bit, um, characterful. But stick with it. My last bike was the six cylinder, K1600GT and I wouldn't go back.
I've done around 20k miles on the AF XiED units and it pulls strongly from under 2k rpm. It'll never be as smooth as a four with those two big pistons, but you will love the feel of it.
Don't think a different battery would've made any difference. While they run slightly better on the good 'stuff', I think what you're describing is a normal, unmodified GS. Mine was the same when I first bought it.
If the LED's are lighting up, it's working fine. It's said that the earth connection is better directly on to the battery terminal. Something to do with electronic 'noise'.
Get out there and get some miles on it. It's very subtle, but you'll suddenly realise that it's getting better and better. More flexible, smoother(relatively!) and no surging anymore. Plus, you'll retain all the clever things that the ECU provides.
Trust me, you have been very lucky to have been left these units.
If you get tired of it, Keith will have yer arm off to buy them!

Should have said.
While the AF XiED units are adapting, try to use the full range of throttle positions and rev range, up to and including wide open.
Helps the ECU to 'relearn' as soon as possible.

Many thanks for putting the time into answering my questions/worries about the
Bike :)
I'll
Sleep easier tonight now. ;-)
Thanks again!
Richard

Should have said.
While the AF XiED units are adapting, try to use the full range of throttle positions and rev range, up to and including wide open.
Helps the ECU to 'relearn' as soon as possible.
Ride it like you stole it........??

I really need to get me some of those!

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Yeah, flat out. Over the border, of course. Can't touch you for it. :augie
Jaysus, I remember standing in the lay-by of the A1 somewhere around Lisburn......... 2 very annoyed RUC boys standing with the hands rested on side arms....... trying (and succeeding) to put the shits up me about having me in front of a magistrate the next morning for a bit of excessive speed on the dual carriageway.

I'll never get those 20 minutes back!!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

They're all pensioned off now. PSNI who? Never see them except parked up outside the Chinese carry out.
Remember one of the Garda clocked me at 93mph in the car just after I left the M50 heading north. Thought he was going to have a cow!
Was only trying to keep up with the traffic, officer. Am now the proud possessor of two of your wonderful penalty points. If they ever get around to it, they'll eventually be able to put them on my NI licence.

My Mk2 vibrates at 4000 to 5000. Maybe the twin cam redesign moved that vibration phase down so it's out of the way at motorway speeds.

First TC I ever tried was a demo bike in 2010. Thought it was wonderful and smooth.
When I bought my TC two years ago I thought I'd bought a pup! It was horrible, vibrated and surged.
I'm now of the opinion that those first demo bikes were re mapped.
Now mine runs the same as that demo bike.
You also have to remember that different (loud) exhausts will cause more vibration, too. Eh, bendy?
That's why front pipes have a balance pipe. Some sports systems don't due to manufacturing costs.
The fueling makes all the difference.

Aww Keith. If only you had known who was selling the bike before Richard had bought it. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling I sold you the bike. The two thin black wires are the return cables for the AF-Xied control units. I cannot remember where they were to be placed for the return current but they are fitted correctley. I was informed not to fit them to the battery for some reason and never did. As you say, they woulnt blink if they werent connected. That was my fourth twin cam model fitted with these units and they do take a bit of milage to get them to their best. All of mine had been set at `7 blinks` and worked ok. Yours needs another thousand miles on them before they are `set`. Gordon.

First TC I ever tried was a demo bike in 2010. Thought it was wonderful and smooth.
When I bought my TC two years ago I thought I'd bought a pup! It was horrible, vibrated and surged.
I'm now of the opinion that those first demo bikes were re mapped.
Now mine runs the same as that demo bike.
You also have to remember that different (loud) exhausts will cause more vibration, too. Eh, bendy?
That's why front pipes have a balance pipe. Some sports systems don't due to manufacturing costs.
The fueling makes all the difference.

My Akraprovic exhausts have a balance pipe. Vibes were just the same with OEM headers and with Remus headers which had no balance pipe.
I believe the Power Commander has slightly reduced the vibes compared to OEM headers but I've not tried it back to back without the PC.
It's quite possible that a free flowing pipe without fuel correction will cause rough running. The ECU is very adaptable but has its limits and runs a very weak mixture in standard trim.
The Akra is louder than standard with catalyst but not much worse than standard with decat headers.

My Akraprovic exhausts have a balance pipe. Vibes were just the same with OEM headers and with Remus headers which had no balance pipe.
I believe the Power Commander has slightly reduced the vibes compared to OEM headers but I've not tried it back to back without the PC.
It's quite possible that a free flowing pipe without fuel correction will cause rough running. The ECU is very adaptable but has its limits and runs a very weak mixture in standard trim.
The Akra is louder than standard with catalyst but not much worse than standard with decat headers.

Plus, on your bike, without the O2 sensors connected, you could very easily have developed a L/R AFR imbalance.

I have a feeling I sold you the bike. The two thin black wires are the return cables for the AF-Xied control units. I cannot remember where they were to be placed for the return current but they are fitted correctley. I was informed not to fit them to the battery for some reason and never did. As you say, they woulnt blink if they werent connected. That was my fourth twin cam model fitted with these units and they do take a bit of milage to get them to their best. All of mine had been set at `7 blinks` and worked ok. Yours needs another thousand miles on them before they are `set`. Gordon.

You are obviously convinced about their effectiveness, Gordon. That's about £1400 you've saved compared to re mapping!
Just curious, why did you let them go with your GS? Go for something different?

I got them cheap as the brother in law lives in the states and he picked them up on Craiglist (for about $100) for me. I didnt think it would be worth taking them off. I know I could sell them on again but never bothered. The set I got for the 1150 were a lot less, one bike came with them already fitted and I paid about £200 for the other set.

My first bike I had was sold on here to a member but it wasnt fitted with them. It was a 2010 model and ran like a dream.

Any future bike I aquire will definatly have them fitted.

Back
Top Bottom