Nav V Basecamp 2018 map download query

I've now no idea how to download southern Europe either!

Its just a bit of a cock-up by Garmin.
The maps sent to the unit will have the same nane - GMAPSUPP.img. That cant exist so one or both must be renamed or the second map will overwrite the first.

The maps sent to the unit will have the same nane - GMAPSUPP.img. That cant exist so one or both must be renamed or the second map will overwrite the first.

That's interesting.
Does that mean you can only download one map at a time, I assume?
If downloading to the Nav V how do you change the filename on the device or do you download to the pc first and do it there?

All help appreciated.

Apologies if this sounds a stupid question.
Are both North & South given the same file name when downloaded?
If one downloads and you change the file name does Garmin not just download the first file again?

Are both North & South given the same file name when downloaded?

I think it depends how you dl them. Garmin Express "should" give them different names - probably gmapsupp and gmapsup1, but they seem to have got it wrong.
If you dl to the pc, I believe they will be in different directory's (folders) and you can rename them there and copy across.

I think it depends how you dl them. Garmin Express "should" give them different names - probably gmapsupp and gmapsup1, but they seem to have got it wrong.
If you dl to the pc, I believe they will be in different directory's (folders) and you can rename them there and copy across.

Many thanks - I'll persevere!

I did a reformat of the SD card yesterday and now my pc can't find my Nav V!
I bought a new data transfer cable today so I'll try that tonight and see if it works.
If I ever get all this working I'll be using these maps for many years, I hope.

Sorry, I still need help.
I'm home now and did a map update (they should have already been downloaded) and it did it quickly (suspicious).
If North & South downloaded as two files I can't find them - where do they normally go on a Windows pc?

If North & South downloaded as two files I can't find them - where do they normally go on a Windows pc?

This any help:
MapUPdater stores the temporary map installation files in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Temp\img. The directory is also accessible as %temp%\img

The files are purged after a successful installation, unless you specify "save installation files"

Maybe Garmin Express save the temp files in the same location.

Also check in C:\ProgramData\GARMIN

All of this is new to me as I just got a new Nav5 today from my local BMW

do I need to do any of this as not had a chance to plug it into a laptop yet ?

tyia

....I just got a new Nav5 today...do I need to do any of this as not had a chance to plug it into a laptop yet ?

Do you need to do any of this? Yes and no or indeed, no and yes.

Assuming that the device you bought from BMW has its full European maps installed, then you can just attach it to your awesome steed and you should be good to go. But...

1. At some point it's a good idea to register the device with Garmin. To do this you are best advised to connect it to a computer, carrying out the registration online.

2. The Nav V's screen is relatively small, compared to a home computer's. If you want the convenience of plotting routes on the larger screen of your home computer, using BaseCamp / Mapsource / Tyre or whatever, you'll need to connect the device to your home computer at some point if only to transfer the route(s) you created to the device.

3. When you connect the device to your computer, you'll maybe / probably receive prompts that there is either a software update available or that new maps are available or both. You are not obliged to undertake either the software update or the map update. Is it a good idea to do neither, all or some of the updates? That's up to you, the owner. I do and, touch wood, everything has been near enough OK with all of my devices since I first started using Garmin's products years and years ago, right back to the Quest device, using PC's at first and now a Mac. I am no IT wizard, trust me. I have no idea what goes on in the box of widgets, nor do I want to. I just follow the on-screen prompts and installation instructions. Others have had the same good fortune as me, whilst others have been less fortunate. Why? I have no idea.

The only time I ever had a problem was way back when the 1200 was first released. Some (not all) Garmin devices, powered by the bike's ignition switched electricity supply, shut down whilst riding. Garmin released a software update which, amongst other things, stopped this happening. Like many other devices, mine never shut down but when the update was installed mine (and some others too) started shutting down. In other words, a fix to cure a problem I didn't have, resulted in me (and others) getting the problem. This was quickly fixed by a subsequent Garmin software update and all was well thereafter.

This any help:
MapUPdater stores the temporary map installation files in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Temp\img. The directory is also accessible as %temp%\img

The files are purged after a successful installation, unless you specify "save installation files"

Maybe Garmin Express save the temp files in the same location.

Also check in C:\ProgramData\GARMIN

Thanks, I'll try the temp file tonight.

I looked in the Garmin file last night and there was nothing there!

Thanks, I'll try the temp file tonight.

I looked in the Garmin file last night and there was nothing there!
Within Basecamp on a mac, you can click on MAPS and then there's a button saying "Reveal in Finder". Finder is the mac equivalent of Windows Explorer.

If windows allows you to do an equivalent action you could rename there and send the map to your device from Basecamp.

Within Basecamp on a mac, you can click on MAPS and then there's a button saying "Reveal in Finder". Finder is the mac equivalent of Windows Explorer.

If windows allows you to do an equivalent action you could rename there and send the map to your device from Basecamp.

I'll try and find the Windows equivalent tonight; if I can find them I'll can copy them to the NAV V - it shouldn't be this difficult especially as they're not cheap!

Ta.

I called Garmin support as I had the same issues with missing detailed map for Southern Europe. It was detailed for Northern Europe but just main routes for Southern Europe.

Garmin have split the maps due to a 4Gb file limit.

I used map installer on my Mac to select the Southern European maps and installed them on my Mac. I then used the same to copy them to my SD card in my NAV V.

I have Northern Europe on the internal memory of the NAV V and Southern Europe on a SD card in the NAV V. I can now see detailed maps for both North and South on my NAV V and it switches between the files as needed.

Back
Top Bottom