R80 1990 - Motogadgets M Unit v2 Installation

Eltoro69

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone installed wiring for the motogadgets M unit v2 for the BMW R80RT (1990)?
I am in the middle of making a decision if I should dump the existing wiring loom and install all new wiring with the new motogadgets unit. The only thing stopping me is FEAR!. Yes, I am afraid of the wiring and getting it all wrong. I like to only tackle things that I can fully understand and deal with. getting my hands dirty and working to a diagram is not an issue. I can manage that, I am an engineer but what confuses me is the masses of cable that I see on my bike and the cables that come off the engine block bit.

If anyone has worked on a R80 and has taken images of the wiring during the install, I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks

I've converted my '84 R80ST using a m unit and motogaget switches and speedo. I completely junked the original BMW loom, relays, fuses et al. There is a simplified wiring loom diagram on the Moto gadget website. To be completely honest I didn't do the work myself as I was working on another project and got Tom at Foundry Motorcycles to do it. Providing you are reasonably confident with wiring it would not be a difficult job to do it yourself. My advice would be to build your own loom not to try and adapt the original you'd be creating more problems than you were trying to avoid.
Paul.

Start from scratch, do one circuit at a time, simples! DAMHIK.

Disclaimer: I've not actually installed an M Unit, but I have done several of their speedos and lots of custom rewiring on R series twins.

The whole point of them is to simplify the wiring and to be able to use lighter gauge wires - Dump the OEM loom and switchgear.

Hi,
Anyone installed wiring for the motogadgets M unit v2 for the BMW R80RT (1990)?
I am in the middle of making a decision if I should dump the existing wiring loom and install all new wiring with the new motogadgets unit. The only thing stopping me is FEAR!. Yes, I am afraid of the wiring and getting it all wrong. I like to only tackle things that I can fully understand and deal with. getting my hands dirty and working to a diagram is not an issue. I can manage that, I am an engineer but what confuses me is the masses of cable that I see on my bike and the cables that come off the engine block bit.

If anyone has worked on a R80 and has taken images of the wiring during the install, I will really appreciate any help.

Thanks

I think it's fairly simple, though you need a sub circuit that does the charging, but all the lights are simple, you just connect to the right port on the m unit,

go for it, as has been said, just sort each item one by one, wiring looms look complicated until you separate them from all the other circuits.

Having had ZERO electrical experience and lots of fear I can now say that M units are awesome :)

I've put them on both a R100 and a Ducati 900SS and have 100% reliability. As long as you have good crimpers/soldering iron, a couple of copies of your wiring diagram to play on and some time /space for thinking then it is pretty easy to install one. The charging and ignition circuits stay as-is but you can simplify everything else.

And you learn about electrickery.... what's not to like!!

Oh, and always go back to the simple M unit wiring diagram in the installation guide when you get confused, it is as straight forward as they make out once you get down to it and rip out all the relays.

I also have the munit,and a complete retire on my r100 ,top stuff gets rid of all the relays and crap old wire

Back
Top Bottom