Test ride on the new Baby BMW

Bmmike08

MikeGSRT
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Test Ride on BMW G310 R

For some months I have been awaiting the delivery of the smallest and newest BMW motorcycle. There was a delay in delivery but on Tuesday 18th April 2017 I arranged to test ride one of these smaller BMWs.

A few facts before I start the report:

The bike is assembled in India and has a water cooled single cylinder 313cc engine with twin overhead camshafts, four valves and dry sump lubrication. The engine develops 34 hp (25kW) at 9,500 rpm. Max torque is 25Nm at 7,500 rpm.
There is a six speed gearbox, O-Ring chain, single disc brake front and rear with ABS.
Unladeden weight is 158.5 kg. Seat height 785 mm (high/low seat available).

Fuel tank about 11 litres.
Optional extras: Low or Comfort seat, Luggage Bridge, Centre stand, Heated grips and LED indicators.

On the ride over the Cannons to take my R1200RT LC in for some warranty work I was wondering what to expect with this totally different and smaller BMW.
As you approach the bike is noticeably small but quite attractive in appearance.

The handle bar controls are simple and laid out in a similar fashion to other BMW bikes. Light switch, horn and indicators on left hand side and Start button and Emergency switch on right had side. On the left bottom of the instrument display is a hard-to-see black rubber button which controls various settings on the computer - mileage, range, miles per gallon etc.

On mounting the bike is low - I am 5’ 9” with 29” inside leg and with the saddle fitted (standard) I was able to place both feet on the ground.
I flicked the light switch to dip (not automatic) and pressed the starter button. Instant response with a very smooth engine ticking over at 2000 rpm. Engaging first gear (no clunk!) and moving off was a smooth procedure with the engine revving easily.

The ride was excellent (adjustable rear suspension) and the braking proved very adequate and positive.

I rode several mile around country roads near Braintree and found the bike responsive and with positive tracking. Very easy to negotiate all types of bends and eager to accelerate quite fast on the open road.
It has a nice note to the exhaust when accelerating.

One of the most notable facts to me was how easy it is to wheel it around for parking - the low weight is a real bonus in the context.

I have been riding BMWs for 45 years, all boxers from the R60 though to the current R1200RT and can say that I was very impressed with this new small BMW. It gave me a fun ride, something similar to the GS & GSA.

As I grow ever older and weaker I can see a time when I will have to part with the R1200RT due to its weight and this little single engine BMW may well fit the bill to extend my motorcycling.
I think it will appeal to the older rider as it is a light bike and the young will be drawn to it as the basic cost on the road is £4,290.00 which includes BMW Emergency Services for two years< Road Tax for one year, fuel, number plate, new bike preparation, Datatag Protection and RealRider subscription.

To sum up, a great little bike which will appeal to a wide range of customers.

My thanks to Cannon BMW for arranging this test ride.

Safe riding to you all.

Mike Davies

Attachments

• 1. G310 LH side.jpg
    1. G310 LH side.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,523
  • 3. G310 RH side.jpg
    3. G310 RH side.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 4. G310 RH side forward.jpg
    4. G310 RH side forward.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,517
  • 2. G310 Rear view.jpg
    2. G310 Rear view.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,500
I have two KTM 690s Enduro and Duke & an XR but ride my Duke the most. It's small, light, powerful and completely bonkers to ride.

For most of the riding I do it's much better than my XR

What did you think of the digital display? I wonder if we will see BMW introduce it on all models as revisions come through. Nothing could be worse than he current 1200 GS's!:D

Hello Andy,

The digital display is fine. The rev band at the bottom of the display is a little small but still visible!
Not so much on the computer as the bigger bikes.

That's slap bang in the middle of KTM 390 Duke territory :thumby:

Similarities in where its made also KTM in India. Ktm is made by Bajal whereas BMW is TVS. I looked at the build quality of a 390 only yesterday and it was superb. Looks like the Austrians and the Germans will be slugging it out in the A2 market.

I was talking to a chap yesterday who had a 14 plate 390 Duke with 30,000 miles on the clock and was just waiting for his new 17my 390 to arrive

He said the 390 was a "robust little runner and loads of fun"

I was talking to a chap yesterday who had a 14 plate 390 Duke with 30,000 miles on the clock and was just waiting for his new 17my 390 to arrive

He said the 390 was a "robust little runner and loads of fun"

He's absolutely right. I was sad to see my 390 go. It was a bargain at £3,600 six months old with only 300 miles. The 690's obviously much better but not twice as good which the cost is.

I'm thinking of one of these as a commuter to get to work, and a way of keeping the miles lower on my main bike. I think it would be perfect.

Terry

Spoke to a dealer last month as it appears on the Motorrad website. However he was not very helpful. It has been delayed so many times now.

Another ride on the BMW Baby G310R

I took out another G310R today whilst my R1200RT LC was in for it's 18k service.

This was a new bike (140 miles) in Sport colours and looked really attractive.

I enjoyed my time riding it around the lanes of Essex, calling at Andrews Field for a sandwich and drink.

I like this small BMW and have nothing to add to my original report except that it fun to ride and perfoms well - the GS version is due out later this year - be interesting to see how that rides.

Cannons tell me they are selling well.

safe riding,
Mike Davies

Attachments

• 1. G310.jpg
    1. G310.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 808
  • 2. G310.jpg
    2. G310.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 854
  • 5. G310.jpg
    5. G310.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 832
I read on MCN that they're taking the GS version out today. It'll be interesting to see what they think of it.

Back
Top Bottom