Can you lower a GSA

JJ's GS

Reaction score
Guys I'm after a bit of advice please as I don't understand mechanics of bikes.
I really fancy a new GSA but felt it too tall for me where I could possibly drop it. I know you can change seats such as standard GS seat but I like the GSA seat to complete the look.
Lots of standard GSA around so just wondered if its possible without spending a fortune.

Many thanks.
JJ :beerjug:

I've "only" got a 29" inside leg and have no problem with my gsa.

You could either put seat to lowest setting, replace suspension with lowered springs etc, also get some training too: it's a confidence thing.

If you think you'll drop it, you will.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Are you aware there is a BMW factory lowered option?

(Edit: beat me to it)

The GS can be specced from the factory as a low chassis option, so it's worth hunting around for one of them.
I have a 30" inside leg and didn't fancy tippy toes all the time and I prefer the low option.

It's also a riding style thing, as if you pursue further training you'll be encouraged to learn it doesn't matter (but if you're stubborn like me you'll think it does).

[Edit: me too, I'm definitely slower since i sold my Ducati]

I have the factory lowered one and best decision I made I'm around 5'10 with 30" inside leg and feet are firmly on the floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a lowered GS TE with wire wheels and squint.
Buy what fits you best, do you really need a battle cruiser?

Thanks guys this is the response I was looking for :D

Sorry I should have said new shape GSA (around 2016) rather than buy brand new.
I've been looking for a lowered bike but haven't found one I can try as they seem quite rare.
I would like to get my feet down comfortably as I did with my GS and I know I don't need a battle cruiser but I just want one :thumb2

lowered GSA

Here you go , My GSA lowered, with wilbur shocks, By the guys advertising on this forum REVS, excellent service and it will be a keeper.:thumb

Attachments

• Baby Sam0765.jpg
    Baby Sam0765.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 451

Useful link. I have used this configurator before but always struggle to find it on their web site.

Incidentally I must be deformed as I am officially not a shape endorsed by BMW as able to ride their bikes. My inside leg is 31"/80cm and my height is 185 cm (just under 6' 1"), but the configurator refuses to allow this combination. Apparently with a 31" inside leg the tallest I'm allowed to be is 179 cm! Using the 31" inside leg setting it recommends the low chassis version of the GS, if I had set my height correctly it would have recommended the standard chassis. After sitting on both versions I bought the low chassis and have been very happy with that decision, though I use it with a standard seat in the low position at the rear and high at the front, rather than the low seat it came with. I probably could have been OK with the standard chassis and low seat, but this way I get the benefits of more legroom and a lower centre of gravity.

Given my experiences I would regard the configurator as just a guide, especially if you are a marginal case like me - best to try to find some examples you can sit on, and an obliging dealer who will fit different seats for you to try out, as mine did.

More than happy for you to try my bike if your in the area as there seems to be a shortage of the lower bikes around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear in mind that selecting the ESA two-up preload jacks the seat height up a couple of inches. I'm comfortable with my standard GS on the solo setting with a 30" inside leg, but it's sometimes a bit nerve wracking two-up if I stop on a steep camber etc.

Bear in mind that selecting the ESA two-up preload jacks the seat height up a couple of inches. I'm comfortable with my standard GS on the solo setting with a 30" inside leg, but it's sometimes a bit nerve wracking two-up if I stop on a steep camber etc.

Well in theory it is only counteracting the additional compression caused by the weight of a pillion, though how close it gets back to normal depends on how close the real pillion's weight is to BMW's estimate. Of course if you choose this setting without a pillion actually on board you could find your feet being lifted off the ground! The latest bikes don't have this issue because the suspension preload (when set on auto) makes the bike self-levelling, applying only enough preload to bring the bike back to a level stance if additional weight is added.

Back
Top Bottom