Will a tyre inflater overload 12v socket?

soupdragon

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a small 12v tyre inflater that can plug directly into accessory socket. However, I have read some customer reviews on Amazon that report that they immediately overload the canbus on BMWs and cut out. So, they must be directly connected to the battery instead. Has anyone had experience with this?

Yes. Some will trip the current limit especially when the pressure gets up a bit and the compressor has to work hard.
Some folk have had no issues however. Must be down to the compressor.

Fitting an extra socket to the battery, through a fuse, can be very useful for many reasons. That's what I did.

I've got an Oximiser cable fitted direct to the battery which is live permanently and fused, you can buy a cigar lighter adapter to power your inflator.

I have a lead straight from the battery that accepts my optimate, heated jacket and slime air pump ( obviously not at the same time)

It is there for whatever i need to use at the time or tucks away under the seat if not needed at all

I think this is the best all round solution

I've just added a socket wired directly to the battery precisely for this purpose on my 650. I've put a 10A fuse in there, which will be fine for the airpump....

D

I've just added a socket wired directly to the battery precisely for this purpose on my 650. I've put a 10A fuse in there, which will be fine for the airpump....

D

Done that on mine for heated gloves & mini compresser..

Yes ... it'll trip the Canbus ....

I fitted an auxiliary socket wired to a Centech fuse unit direct battery. Live all the time ... handy for inspection light, remote charging, heated jacket, 12v tyre inflator etc.

i-QWXW2X5-L.jpg

:beerjug:

I'll just add to this thread - I just bought an Air Man Tour tyre inflator which instantly trips the switch in the 12V socket on the R1200GS LC.

It works fine when connected to the battery directly via an additional connection, but disappointed BMW have this socket on such a low output.

James

I have a lead straight from the battery that accepts my optimate, heated jacket and slime air pump ( obviously not at the same time)

It is there for whatever i need to use at the time or tucks away under the seat if not needed at all

I think this is the best all round solution

And where was your slime pump on Thursday when you got a puncture

Back
Top Bottom