Walking & Riding Gear

Wear walking trousers and don't fall off....

I work on the theory that if cyclists (the good ones) are happy to wiz along at 40mph in a pair of shorts - doing 40 - 50ish on a bike in jeans is ok

I'm a 32" waist.....

I'm not planning on whizzing around like a loon. I'm in no hurry as the kids are going at walking pace. I always "dress to fall off" though & feel naked in jeans though but I may just have to open a tin of "Man Up" and just wear the walking trousers - unless your Summer Trousers fit??

D

Well I'm a 32 waist and I'm wearing them now (to check!)
Receipt from Rainbow for £118.75
They really are as new (but only knee no hip armour)

Wear walking trousers and don't fall off....

I work on the theory that if cyclists (the good ones) are happy to wiz along at 40mph in a pair of shorts - doing 40 - 50ish on a bike in jeans is ok

Been involved in an off at 60mph while wearing regular jeans and I wouldn't recommend to nobody, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this a few years ago. Nice and easy to get around and park. But changed my thinking afterwards...if anything goes wrong within the groups you cant transport, shelter or offer much assistance. Never mind if you have an off in gear or jeans. I was there to oversee them and having the car makes better operational sense. What i did anyway

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Once, and just the once, I rode from our village through the forest (on road) to the nearby station in vest, shorts and desert boots - with a helmet of course.

It was a really hot day and felt amazing at the time but I did keep thinking 'what if' etc.

Did the same going home later that day.

Bikers used to ride in Levi jeans and a tatty leather years ago.................how come things have changed so much?

Slow down and don't ride like a loon. you don't have to be in starship trooper mode all the time, fully kevlared up etc, do you???
Only talking to a guy at ABV today, we where both geting bored of getting armoured up every time we went for a ride, as you say it used to be jeans and leather jacket
I did last year buy a BM denim jacket along with jeans and leather walking boots and open faced crash helmet I already had, it was very refreshing riding a bike with out all the armour, but it was only for Sunday warm days ride outs

For me - two options.

1) a pair of kevlar draggin jeans, bike boots and bike jacket. When you are ready to walk - boots/jacket and helmet into GS boxes.

2) Same as (1) but wear rohan or craghopper walking trews under textile armoured trousers and just take the bike gear off when you are ready to walk, stick on walk boots and walk jacket and leave rest of gear with bike.

I would agree with the comments above, yes don't ride like a loon, and you prob won't die in an accident, but sliding down the road in normal jeans or walking trousers I would guess is not recommended. I would add from a friends experience, walking boots are not ideal ankle protection on a bike - wear proper bike boots. Ankles take quite a long time to heal and are complex joints so having them in a decent bike boot is a must for me.

Back
Top Bottom