Exhaust stud stuck...Engineering firm recommendations in Scotland?

waterloo700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Same old problem...exhaust stud has snapped and its resisted all my attempts to shift it.

I'm not going to attempt to drill it out so can anyone recommend an engineering firm in the Inverness or Central Belt who will do for this of work if I get the head to them?

Agra Engineering in Dundee, most marine or agricultural engineer's should be able to tackle the job.

You can try liquid nitrogen to freeze then heat stud. Thermal shock often works.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

cost me £60 at arthur laings in kirkcaldy but bit far from you. i had to get 4 of them done. he did them with the heads still on the bike.

It's not impossible to do it in situ ....

Well that was an interesting couple of hours!

The mission - To extract the rotted exhaust stud.

I started with a bit of heat and the old 'double nut' trick ...... No chance, the stud just snapped.

However, there was still 15mm of thread showing so I would another nut on and welded it on, the hope being that the heat transferred would help release the thread, each time I just managed to snap a bit more stud off .... five times in fact :D

IMG_2101 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2102 by tunneruk, on Flickr

So, undeterred, I went back to basics and got stuck in -

IMG_2103 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2104 by tunneruk, on Flickr

I was very lucky in that I managed to drill out the old stud and just leave a coil of thread which came out like a spring. I ran a top down the hole and wound in the new stud!

IMG_2105 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2107 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_2109 by tunneruk, on Flickr

The result of this is that I've got naff all painting done today! :blast

I ended up with two replacement heads for the 1100r, you sir are exceedingly lucky.

This time, I've got domed exhaust nuts a la` Honda, which hopefully means it doesn't reoccur.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - the head is going in to Precision Engineers in Inverness for them to assess whether they can do the job!

Update....Precision Engineers did the job the work and the bike is back together again. Both studs out (if one snapped the other won't be far behind) and one thread insert. Not cheap when you throw in the cost of a new head gasket but the sun is here and life's too short.
Thanks everyone who offered advice.

Back
Top Bottom