Named driver on insurance

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Eldest has just passed his car test, and is naturally on the hunt for a car..

Insurance wise its not going to be cheap (never is lol) and he accepts that.

Luckily he is near on 25, so that's some money off ..

Got a couple of quotes just to test the water ...

Using my Outback H6 3.0 it came in at £1300 odd ( not surprising)

Using his cousins Nova 1.3, it came in at just over £1150

Playing with the dates to make him over 25 it dropped to just over £1000,

So he's going to wait a couple of months before he starts looking.

I looked at adding either myself or his mother as a named driver ..

That made a huge difference, took near on £300 off the price.

Question though.

Can i be a named driver on his policy even though he doesn't live at the same address?

I have no intention on driving his car, so he would be the main driver anyway.

If he has an accident, does it affect my own NCB / policys or is it purely his policy his NCB??

Mart

If, accident was your fault, there would probably be an increase, as you've not made a claim on "your" policy it shouldn't effect your ncd.

No reason, why you can't be a named driver but live elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

My dear old mum's 84....I'm 58 :)rob)....I've been a named driver on her policy for the last 5 years - it reduces the premium by around £40, but I've never driven her car. Last week when I renewed for her, I was asked how often I'd drive her Fiat, I said 'never, but I'll be able to if needed', they had no problem with that at all.

Pete

I'm a named driver on my mate's Audi RS3 and by doing so that brought his insurance down by £150

I'm not sure why that is the case but he wasn't complaining

By having a named driver it shows that the main policy holder is not the sole user of the vehicle,even if you don't drive it, you could. Youngsters can benefit by having a parent as a named driver but not named as main policy holder.
Biggest reduction was when the daughter had a black box fitted to her new Fiat 500, went down £400. :thumb2

No. #1 son has had quotes this week - £2k, add a black box £1600, add his Mum £1300, add me £1100. Worth using Go Compare or such like and trying as many permutations as possible

Back
Top Bottom