Insurance for riding on the Continent - with a twist......

I got the MCE quote from MCN compare. I don't have a contact other than the number on their website 0844 338 6888. When I lived in Spain I was insured with Linea Direct. Direct Line in UK don't insure bikes but they might have a Dutch branch that does.

Stolzy, I agree that "allows to ride" and "kept" are different, but if the OP keeps the bike in the uk for 184+ days, it should count as being kept in the UK, not Netherlands. If not,Dutch insurance with up to 183 days in UK might be the way forward.

Import duty is basically the luxury Tax or ''BPM'' in Dutch which is the killer. This diminishes from day of purchase to about 5 years. So to avoid the tax I need to keep the bike on UK plates for this period.

you can reclaim the VAT paid on the bike in the UK as you will be exporting it.

all you need is the original UK invoice, a ferry ticket showing the bike has been exported and apply to the Customs at Dover

all you need is the original UK invoice, a ferry ticket showing the bike has been exported and apply to the Customs at Dover

even in the EU?

I doubt that is the case - Netherlands was in the EU last time I asked.

In any case, if it were, the OP would be liable for VAT/duty when it was imported into Holland

I got the MCE quote from MCN compare. I don't have a contact other than the number on their website 0844 338 6888. When I lived in Spain I was insured with Linea Direct. Direct Line in UK don't insure bikes but they might have a Dutch branch that does.

Stolzy, I agree that "allows to ride" and "kept" are different, but if the OP keeps the bike in the uk for 184+ days, it should count as being kept in the UK, not Netherlands. If not,Dutch insurance with up to 183 days in UK might be the way forward.
But then he's riding a foreign registered bike in the UK on a UK license, which (for all the obvious reasons) is itself illegal.

But then he's riding a foreign registered bike in the UK on a UK license, which (for all the obvious reasons) is itself illegal.

..and that's exactly the issue. Riding (and storing) a UK registered bike in Holland but having a Dutch driving license.

Had I had a UK license the issue would have been OK. UK insurers would cover me and from a legal perspective and here in Holland its not such a big thing. As I said Police don't care and customs would tell me to get a Dutch license and import the bike (Car). A soft offense considering the amount foreigners on the roads here. By law you need to register your vehicle after 6 months (if it comes from the EU) from outside EU your not allowed to drive it until its imported. As to driving license you can drive on an foreign / international license for 1 year after moving here.
Guess I need to just suck it up and pay the extra 8K :eek:

Are you sure about that? I think 'he' could do that for a 6-month period in any one year. I could be wrong, of course...

Are you sure about that? I think 'he' could do that for a 6-month period in any one year. I could be wrong, of course...
The bike can legally be in the UK for 6 months, but (according to my information from a senior traffic cop), to ride the bike on a UK license is illegal.

From https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports
6. Temporary imports
You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if all of the following apply:

you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here
the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total - this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months
My understanding is that if you have a UK licence you'll be deemed a resident.

Obviously there are daft inconsistencies - in France for example, there is no equivalent of road tax.

I doubt that is the case - Netherlands was in the EU last time I asked.

In any case, if it were, the OP would be liable for VAT/duty when it was imported into Holland

yes it can be done

I sold a new (one week old0 bike to a guy in France.

produced all the stuff and claimed all the VAT back.

he imported it into France , paid the duty.

So the OP would be reclaiming the VAT from the original purchase price - hence reducing his payment and them paying the import duty.

There is no way he will legally bypass the NL import duty.

yes it can be done

I sold a new (one week old0 bike to a guy in France.

produced all the stuff and claimed all the VAT back.

he imported it into France , paid the duty.

So the OP would be reclaiming the VAT from the original purchase price - hence reducing his payment and them paying the import duty.

There is no way he will legally bypass the NL import duty.
New. that's the difference.

Try these guys -

https://www.stuartcollins.com/

"We offer Motor Policies for UK registered vehicles that are outside UK Long Term. The policy provides the full cover selected across the 28 states of the EU plus Norway, Serbia and Switzerland, an annual Green Card is included with the cover papers. When circumstances dictate the vehicle may be left abroad whilst the insured is in UK. "

No connection....

Back
Top Bottom