No Maps in France.

You'll lose your current maps, and they'll be replaced with the new ones. Hopefully all of them, but you won't know until after the update.

Before you do the update, connect to the PC and copy or rename the old maps. The updater will only replace gmapsupp/gmapsup1 maps... Assuming you have enough space for the new maps as well.
After the update you will have both. Deactivate one set with the device menu's.

Im off to the Baden Baden next week for a few days... map routes are loaded to the Nav5 to include a couple of day rides round the Northern & Southern parts of the forest. My Nav5 has the maps ticked as per #52 so am hoping we won't have any issues.

Wish me luck

My Nav5 has the maps ticked as per #52 so am hoping we won't have any issues.

Wish me luck

If your routes display normally on your device and you can zoom in to see all the detailed information in the map, then it's indeed there. You shouldn't then require any wishes of luck, at least not as far as this single simple aspect of your trip goes.

If your routes display normally on your device and you can zoom in to see all the detailed information in the map, then it's indeed there. You shouldn't then require any wishes of luck, at least not as far as this single simple aspect of your trip goes.

That's the situation I am in. I have planned my first three days, uploaded and zoomed in on my Nav... they are there. So no updates from 17.3 for me... but the urge to do so is still there. I mean, what could go wrong ....:D:blast

That's the situation I am in. I have planned my first three days, uploaded and zoomed in on my Nav... they are there. So no updates from 17.3 for me... but the urge to do so is still there. I mean, what could go wrong ....:D:blast

It's incredibly simple.

If you are happy with the maps you already have on you device, that your carefully prepared routes display correctly, that you'll be able to use the device just as you expect you should whilst you are away on your epic Adventure (with a capital A) then leave it as it is; forever if necessary.

If you feel like updating your device before you go, do it; though risk losing what you've already got and are happy with.

If, after an unsuccessful update, your holiday is at risk, then decide if you are still prepared to go and / or work to cure the problem, using the various fixes described in assorted posts on this site and others.

If you decide to leave it as it is until after you come back, see above.

In short: Do it or don't. It's your urge, your device, your holiday, your life. Nobody but you cares what you do :D :beerjug:

It's incredibly simple.

If you are happy with the maps you already have on you device, that your carefully prepared routes display correctly, that you'll be able to use the device just as you expect you should whilst you are away on your epic Adventure (with a capital A) then leave it as it is; forever if necessary.

If you feel like updating your device before you go, do it; though risk losing what you've already got and are happy with.

If, after an unsuccessful update, your holiday is at risk, then decide if you are still prepared to go and / or work to cure the problem, using the various fixes described in assorted posts on this site and others.

If you decide to leave it as it is until after you come back, see above.

In short: Do it or don't. It's your urge, your device, your holiday, your life. Nobody but you cares what you do.

Yep, I get it, thnx for the last line.... sorry to have wasted anyone's time :beerjug:

I can't find any "img" files after a search yet GExpress says my maps are all up to date!
I losing the will to continue!
Plus, my Nav V seems to be locked and won't switch on and stay on - and my new data cable hasn't help it be found by my pc!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Take the memory card out and see if it will turn on

I think he drinks then posts BigA. Ignore his arrogance I think he may have issues, maybe small penis syndrome :D

I guess I am just new to this, wonkey. I am new to having the bike I have always wanted, going on an awesome trip in the summer with swmbo happy on the back,and I am finding so much good stuff on this forum. I don't often post, but thought the odd 'general' comment was a good thing:blast :D mind you the factual stuff related to by others on how to get the best out of the Nav V has been invaluable... :beerjug:

Im off to the Baden Baden next week for a few days... map routes are loaded to the Nav5 to include a couple of day rides round the Northern & Southern parts of the forest. My Nav5 has the maps ticked as per #52 so am hoping we won't have any issues.

Wish me luck

Best of luck with your ride, FT... let us know how it turns out... :beerjug:

The very fact that so many of us have contributed to this thread shows that the comment about nobody else caring is not true. Why some people find it hard to admit they do care about others is a mystery. This site and the help and advice freely given is a testament to caring. Many of us, myself included, have been helped by the collective pool of knowledge found on here. That some people have to wrap their (often very helpful) contributions in a cloak of sarcasm says something about their own hangups. Please don't let it put you off, if you have a question or need advice this is still the place to come.

Enjoy your trip.

John

Oh, I'm sorry, did I forget the little :D and :beerjug: at the end?

I'll put them in now.

Mr Wapping... you did put them in... and they were appreciated..... it was the "Nobody but you cares what you do" comment that was unnecessary. I, and other absolutely recognise the effort you put in on here to help us newbies out, but the snide comment such as the one above is unhelpful.... buts that's your choice:rolleyes:

Thnx to Wonkey and John :beerjug: hope Khulu gets it sorted.... when you do, it will be worth it. It's a great bit of kit... honest:blagblah

The maps have hit the 4gb FAT32 limit so...
you need to rename them.

Rename them like this:
North map as gmapsupp.img
South map as gmapsup1.img

Total size is around the 7.8 gig mark

Not for the first time either! I have had to replace Express a couple of times to enable an update to work. However my update to 2017.3 gave the appearance of working, all of Europe appeared on my laptop and my 390 showed both Europe North and South but turned out to only have detailed maps of the UK or at least no detailed maps for that part of northern France I ventured into. Express gave no warning of this failure, a new twist in the rather poor record of Garmin updates. It appears we have to check more carefully.

John

Both of you gentlemen seem to be a lot more experienced / lucky than me with this topic!

Redboots - I looked on my pc (Basecamp says Europe 2018.10 is loaded) but could not find the map files anywhere, even searching. [I don't have an Appdata or local folder!]

When I go to update maps I'm told by Garmin Express that I'm to data but I can't find them. If I could I'd be ready to download to my Nav V if it worked!

Nav V - I downloaded North on Sat. (South didn't download) but reformated SD card on Sunday to try and also took the battery out and back in again (bad idea I think)!
Since then the Nav V switches to loading maps screen and then goes blank - I may have a bad battery connection. I put it on the bike last night for a different power source but the same happened!

I wish I'd left it all as I bought it last year and not updated - hindsight is great.

Any help very, very much appreciated.

TIA,

Iain

The maps have hit the 4gb FAT32 limit so...
you need to rename them.

Rename them like this:
North map as gmapsupp.img
South map as gmapsup1.img

Total size is around the 7.8 gig mark

Not for the first time either! I have had to replace Express a couple of times to enable an update to work. However my update to 2017.3 gave the appearance of working, all of Europe appeared on my laptop and my 390 showed both Europe North and South but turned out to only have detailed maps of the UK or at least no detailed maps for that part of northern France I ventured into. Express gave no warning of this failure, a new twist in the rather poor record of Garmin updates. It appears we have to check more carefully.

John

Check that System files are NOT hidden in Windows explorer.

show-hidden-files-windows

Thanks.

I'll try that tonight.

Do you know if you can buy replacement NAV V batteries - I'm searching google for one at the moment.

Ta,

Iain

Back
Top Bottom