No Maps in France.

What on earth are Garmin thinking. Cnuts.:rob

Just spoke to Garmin, after the update I only had North, on their advice have reloaded the maps, now have North and South. Its a known problem to them, surprise surprise.

So what did they have you do to make sure that you have both North and South sets of maps?

It would perhaps help those that have the same problem as you

I presume I am safe if I do not do the latest update prior to going to France next week? Considering the problems faced by others and all my routes having been planned and downloaded I think I am safer not doing the update? Anyone have any thought?

I have plotted 10 days of trips to alps and lake como for summer on my computer, and downloaded to my nav v . Zoomed in to check, all seems ok, so trying to resist updating to latest maps... :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume I am safe if I do not do the latest update prior to going to France next week? Considering the problems faced by others and all my routes having been planned and downloaded I think I am safer not doing the update? Anyone have any thought?

Do it when you come back. Your routes will work fine with your existing maps

So what did they have you do to make sure that you have both North and South sets of maps?

It would perhaps help those that have the same problem as you

Just plug the Nav V in, once connected on Garmin Express and it sees the Nav V. Select device and go to reload maps, and just agree terms etc and reload. It took 45mins and everything was good at the end.

The maps have hit the 4gb FAT32 limit so...
you need to rename them.

Rename them like this:
North map as gmapsupp.img
South map as gmapsup1.img

Total size is around the 7.8 gig mark

Reinstall option chosen and now have 2018.10 All South, 2018.10 All North and of course 2018.10 3D. All done without any questions/selections. Really not sure if the missing chunk of Europe (South) is operator error (Me) or a software issue.

Reinstall option chosen and now have 2018.10 All South, 2018.10 All North and of course 2018.10 3D. All done without any questions/selections. Really not sure if the missing chunk of Europe (South) is operator error (Me) or a software issue.

It's a software issue. It transpires that you need the very latest version of Garmin Express to do the full map update. If you're running an old operating system on your computer (Mac or Windows), you won't get all the maps. I loaded Garmin Express on my wife's brand new laptop with Windows 10, and it did the full update in an hour.

The maps have hit the 4gb FAT32 limit so...
you need to rename them.

Rename them like this:
North map as gmapsupp.img
South map as gmapsup1.img

Total size is around the 7.8 gig mark

Sounds excessive CN EU 2017.20 NTU was only 3.98GB
Now got larger than 4GB so 2 separate map files required hence the split.

It's a software issue. It transpires that you need the very latest version of Garmin Express to do the full map update. If you're running an old operating system on your computer (Mac or Windows), you won't get all the maps. I loaded Garmin Express on my wife's brand new laptop with Windows 10, and it did the full update in an hour.

Not for the first time either! I have had to replace Express a couple of times to enable an update to work. However my update to 2017.3 gave the appearance of working, all of Europe appeared on my laptop and my 390 showed both Europe North and South but turned out to only have detailed maps of the UK or at least no detailed maps for that part of northern France I ventured into. Express gave no warning of this failure, a new twist in the rather poor record of Garmin updates. It appears we have to check more carefully.

John

Not for the first time either! I have had to replace Express a couple of times to enable an update to work. However my update to 2017.3 gave the appearance of working, all of Europe appeared on my laptop and my 390 showed both Europe North and South but turned out to only have detailed maps of the UK or at least no detailed maps for that part of northern France I ventured into. Express gave no warning of this failure, a new twist in the rather poor record of Garmin updates. It appears we have to check more carefully.

John

When I did my update I had the latest version of Express, and it still only loaded North. Did the reinstall with exactly the same version of Express. now both maps are there. Its a Garmin error, same as the 2017 update, which did the same thing initially

I get a regular prompt on my mac that there is an update for Garmin Express,which I always install.

Update to 2018.10 on both 50LMT and 590 took less than 20 minutes each.
I updated both my Garmin Luxe50LMT and 590 2 days ago.Both updated in about 20 minutes and both have updated will full maps.I double-checked as I'm off to Bonnie Tylerland (France) next week and made sure France was in the country list.

Yet I'd expect maps, the core of the business, to work! I can imagine music or Bluetooth problems but maps!

I get a regular prompt on my mac that there is an update for Garmin Express,which I always install.

Update to 2018.10 on both 50LMT and 590 took less than 20 minutes each.
I updated both my Garmin Luxe50LMT and 590 2 days ago.Both updated in about 20 minutes and both have updated will full maps.I double-checked as I'm off to Bonnie Tylerland (France) next week and made sure France was in the country list.

I saw the prompt as well but ignored it as have 3 lots of routes all done and didn't want anything tampering with them, including me. Think I will wait until end of the year then update, as long as the old version keeps working can't see any benefit.

Back
Top Bottom