Can it be true, and if so ?

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I noticed on a previous thread somewhere, that someone noted that Tourances made in Germany last better than the ones made in China.
I hadn't realised there was different ones.
I've just checked mine and they're Chinese.
So if this is true, what is the difference, and how do you actually specify where you want your tyres to be made when you order some ?

Can't imagine that the same tyre is made in China and Germany....especially one that's not a current version.
Fitted some to my bike, Chinese made ones, never had Tourances before so nowt to compare them with but I really like 'em.

As above - even the Mk1 Tourances are only made in China.

Chinese ones (in my opinion) last perhaps 1000miles less on the rear, grip every bit as well - than the original German ones.

Some owners claim the Chinky ones are noisier on the road.............. I've not noticed that

Al

30 years ago you wouldn't mention you had Chinese tyres on a bike.

If anything you would be taking them off as they were feckin lethal!

Have attitudes changed? or has the quality and perception taken a radical turn for the better?

Changed over to Chinese made just over a year ago.
My tyre supplier pointed it out to me and, as Santa says, wouldn't be happy. We are a conservative bunch aren't we.
Chinese are great at copying stuff but just not quite the same. Especially if your life could depend on it.
I read that it's only recently that they have been able to manufacture the tips for ballpoint pens due to the required tolerances!
Tried PR4's but wasn't keen, bit too firm. Now using Dunlop Roadsmarts. At least as good feel as the Tourance but better mileage.

Got to be honest. 2 sets of Chinese in and they grip better than I'll ever need !
(Even if they don't last as long)

Had two sets on Chinese ones on the 1150 and I found they took a bit longer to scrub-in and wore a bit worse, but they were fine other wise.

Even getting mine direct from Pirelli in Burton-on-Trent, they have 'made in China' on them - in the same way that BMW moved their plant out East, so Metzeler (Pirelli group) moved production facilities to China - same tyre made in riceland by the same company. My original ones 12 years ago lasted between 12000 and 15,000 miles per set (front with a bit left but I always change them as a pair), The Chinese ones I changed at 13,700 - so as near as doesn't matter the same miles. It depends how you ride during that particular sets life - loaded and touring, or scampering around town and the lanes. So I can't tell if there is much difference or no, because any is not glaringly so.

Even getting mine direct from Pirelli in Burton-on-Trent, they have 'made in China' on them - in the same way that BMW moved their plant out East, so Metzeler (Pirelli group) moved production facilities to China - same tyre made in riceland by the same company. My original ones 12 years ago lasted between 12000 and 15,000 miles per set (front with a bit left but I always change them as a pair), The Chinese ones I changed at 13,700 - so as near as doesn't matter the same miles. It depends how you ride during that particular sets life - loaded and touring, or scampering around town and the lanes. So I can't tell if there is much difference or no, because any is not glaringly so.

I'm learning !!
Didn't realise that Metzeler were part of the Pirelli group. Just shows, you're never to old .... :)

The Chinese made tyres are good, when you get back from a ride you always feel like you could just pop back out and do a few more miles.........:aidan :augie: (I'll get my coat)

Back
Top Bottom