2018 MY

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I have it on good authority the the new frame is coming in 2018.... Standardised across the range Dyna / Touring with a choice of 107 & 114 M8 engines.

My "source " was also pretty adamant that they are dropping the Softail...

That I find hard to believe, but he was certain...:nenau

So, modular Harleys for next year....... Same frame/engine with differing builds

He also told me they have 1340 EVO crate engines, brand new, in stock at the Oxford RDC... Just £3,700 if I wanted one.....:thumb2 ( which I don't)

Harley dropping the Softail would be like BMW dropping the GS :loopy

agreed, I reckon a standard frame, but differing rear sub frames...

Or, the Softail will continue as is, and the Dyna/Touring bikes will share....

'bout time Dynas really need a more rigid frame, and the tourers need a lighter one.

I have been told by a buddy in America that they are building over 100 new models over the next few years but I don't think that the softail is going

The CEO has stated 50 new models - he is obviously mad.. and I suspect variants is the answer - Street Bob with single seat, double seat, springer seat... there's three..

100 new models...or a 100 new "versions"... i.e. Dressed up versions of the same bike...the way they have always done it..?

He just said "100 different models" so I will ask him next time I speak to him and check exactly what he meant

Google HD CEO and you will find the statement - its in a 2017 strategic announcement...

For some reason I cannot repost the link..

Why? You want a sports bike...buy a sport bike...you want a Harley...buy a Harley..:nenau

Probably asking for too much Doris but I want a Harley variant that handles and rides very well, not one with a flexy frame, wimpy forks, harsh limited travel suspension, and very limited ground clearance. In other words a modern FXDX or XR1200X with good stuff incorporated in the design not just patched on. With a new chassis coming now is the opportunity.

Probably asking for too much Doris but I want a Harley variant that handles and rides very well, not one with a flexy frame, wimpy forks, harsh limited travel suspension, and very limited ground clearance. In other words a modern FXDX or XR1200X with good stuff incorporated in the design not just patched on. With a new chassis coming now is the opportunity.

still asking for far too much from Harley

the new 107 has more problems than a very used PanHead lol

Suspect your gonna be disappointed, platform sharing is a cost cutting exercise. The tourers are the big hitters for Harley, any shared frame is going to be biased to those models, not the Dynas.

Maybe. But Dyna's may benefit the most from an all new frame. The touring platform already saw an update 8 years back to stiffen it up while the flexy Dyna hasn't seen any chassis improvement in years. We all know they both need it. IMO the whole Dyna line is underwhelming with the same drivetrain as the tourer but with even poorer suspension. The potential is there, let's hope the new frame is a stressed member.

What's the gen on the 107 then?

Oil pump & oil pressure problems - HD are changing out the Pumps, and also the Cams (??) - quite a few stories on the Internet... Lots of talk of scored bores and metal bits in the oil....

Maybe. But Dyna's may benefit the most from an all new frame. The touring platform already saw an update 8 years back to stiffen it up while the flexy Dyna hasn't seen any chassis improvement in years. We all know they both need it. IMO the whole Dyna line is underwhelming with the same drivetrain as the tourer but with even poorer suspension. The potential is there, let's hope the new frame is a stressed member.

I take it you mean that you hope the engine becomes a stressed member? Not sure I agree. The joy, for me, of a Harley is that it isn't perfect...but a good base to play about with. If I wanted a "perfect" motorcycle, I would look elsewhere....:D

As a Harley engine is made up of three parts, I don't see how it can be stressed......

Yes "engine" being a stressed member.

You're probably right Twizzle but even though it's bolted together and not a unit construction I was hoping the new counterbalanced motor solidly mounted in a frame would add rigidity and save weight relative to the current rubber isolated setup.

Anyway I've been riding around the southeast US on my old Twin Cam Road King this week and it's been running perfectly. I really like this bike but give it a more compliment, longer travel suspension, and remove 75+ pounds and it'd be outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom