painting the engine cylinder cover R1150R

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkoPolo

Reaction score
So I came off the bike on the gravel road. Still walking and happy to be alive! Now I am trying to put my bike together and sort the damage. There is a scuff on the engine chrome cylinder cover. Silly question: is it ok to take off the cover and use sanding paper to polish and remove scratches. Any paint that I can then use to restore it to its former glory afterwards? Grateful for any advice.

Glad to hear you're OK. It's a real pisser dropping the bike.

I'm a bit confused by your query. Are the cylinder head covers chromed on your bike. And it's one of those that you want to repair?

There's no way you're going to sand down chrome and re-paint

Yes, they are chromed. Not sure what would be best thing to do then. Would replacing it be a relatively straightforward and easy job to do? can I do it myself? Do I need to drain the engine oil first and use new seals?

You could try Motorworks for a secondhand item. Easy to fit and depending on the damage, it should be a straight swap, reusing the seal.

Is they're any oil leaking from the damaged cover?

there is no oil leak and the damage is purely cosmetic. do I need to drain the oil from the engine first or can I just do a quick swap and top up oil afterwards?

I presume you mean the rocker cover? You should be able to remove and re paint, only a little bit of oil will come out, just stick a rag or some newspaper underneath, you won't get the chrome finish again with paint, but could use something like hammerite smooth.

Is the bike an R1200c by any chance? They came from the factory with chrome rocker covers.

As others have said you won't be able to replicate the finish of Chrome with paint so you have two options,

1. Repair the scrapes in the rocker cover and paint it in a colour that places you, then do the other side the same so they match.
2. Have a chat with Motorworks to see if they have a good condition second hand part available and swap it out.

The Rocker covers come off very easily, just three bolts. You'll lose a tiny bit of oil but it's literally an egg cup full on either side so put something down to catch it. Just top op with oil when you're done.

Don't over tighten the bolts either. It's very soft metal. Torque it correctly and you will be fine. I ended up stripping threads before and had to borrow a helicoil kit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom