USB socket

k12pfc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wanna fit a USB socket to my 2006 1200gs I bought one from eBay fitted it, powered direct from battery but the power light is on permanently which will obviously eventually drain the battery, so is there anywhere else to wire this? Do I need to put a switch in somewhere?

If you want to leave it connected direct to the battery and do not want it (inevitably) permanently on, fit a switch.

If you want a power supply that is switched via the ignition, try any of the power supplies to BMW's auxiliary power sockets that are (maybe) fitted to your bike.

Failing that, the rear light power feed, taking care not to use the brake light feed or the USB socket will only be live when you brake. The sidelight power feed, is another alternative.

Nor sure about the 2006 model but my 2011 gsa had a switched live lead under the beak that is normally used to power a permanantly wired sat nav cradle , if the earlier bike has one then it would be your best bet

i

I've done exactly that, put a small push button switch in line and it works perfectly. Good thing now is that I can charge whatever rubbish I need to without running the bike or turning on the ignition. Fitted the switch into the side of the plastic box under the seat with the wires inside and the button on the side.

It's like Wapping said. USB ports permanently draw power if connected directly to the battery, even if there's nothing plugged in.

Either fit a switch or wire in to the ignition.

There are loads of options out there but I went down this's route for my LC because the socket is mounted up front and I don't use it for anything else.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brand-Cliff-Top-Motorcycle-Socket-Adaptor/dp/B01ASLBHA2

I bought one of these for my LC off the back of this recommendation. In the month I've had it, it's been permanently connected to the din socket up front where it is unnoticeable and seems fully weatherproof. It draws no power when the ignition is off as that socket times out.

Note that there are 2 types selectable from the same add under different pictures - they look the same but one is 2.1a total and the other is 3.3a.

Just connect the live lead to the live that goes to the dip beam, that way it’ll only come on when the ignition is on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom