Final drive oil change

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought i'd give it a go this afternoon :eek

I followed the guides in the how to section.

All seems to have gone reasonably OK,

A couple of parts i will need to change at some stage...

The bolt that goes through the back end of the reaction lever to the FD,

For some reason there was a small brass spacer behind the the large washer that abuts the reaction lever...

No idea what or why, looking at he parts fiche, its not meant to be there so it didn't go

back!Noted that the depth of spline cutting on the associated bolt is near on feck!

At 43Nm, it started to go a bit cheese, I'll order a new nut bolt & washer for when i next do

my FD oil.

FD oil was black, no surprises, but not to smelly, compared to the Gearbox oil.

What looked like filings on the sensor, but was more thick paste when wiped and spread for

examination. Now got some nice Syntrax in there

The input shaft splines had grease on them ( not a lot, but grease non the less)

It now has a healthy covering of Moly grease ;)

The UJ was clean, and had what looked like moly grease around its rotational faces.

It now has a lot more moly grease :)

One quick Q, how do you know if the rubber boot has located correctly??

Everything is back together, and I gave the boot a good push and twist, and it seems to sit

nicely against both faces

Cant see any leaks, but I'll know after running to work tomorrow

Thought i'd give it a go this afternoon :eek

I followed the guides in the how to section.

All seems to have gone reasonably OK,

A couple of parts i will need to change at some stage...

The bolt that goes through the back end of the reaction lever to the FD,

For some reason there was a small brass spacer behind the the large washer that abuts the reaction lever...

No idea what or why, looking at he parts fiche, its not meant to be there so it didn't go

back!Noted that the depth of spline cutting on the associated bolt is near on feck!

At 43Nm, it started to go a bit cheese, I'll order a new nut bolt & washer for when i next do

my FD oil.

FD oil was black, no surprises, but not to smelly, compared to the Gearbox oil.

What looked like filings on the sensor, but was more thick paste when wiped and spread for

examination. Now got some nice Syntrax in there

The input shaft splines had grease on them ( not a lot, but grease non the less)

It now has a healthy covering of Moly grease ;)

The UJ was clean, and had what looked like moly grease around its rotational faces.

It now has a lot more moly grease :)

One quick Q, how do you know if the rubber boot has located correctly??

Everything is back together, and I gave the boot a good push and twist, and it seems to sit

nicely against both faces

Cant see any leaks, but I'll know after running to work tomorrow

If it's ever had an Ilmberger hugger fitted it could be that the washer was a spacer as that is where one of the mountings go.

Out of interest, how much oil did you put in?
If the boot looks in and seated, it probably is.
When you say the joint had grease around it do you mean it is being flung out of it which, if is the case, is not a good thing.
While the rear wheel was off the ground did you slowly rotate it and feel for tight spots in the shaft joints. Always a good thing to do.

As part of the service I did the same job on mine today :thumb2

If it's ever had an Ilmberger hugger fitted it could be that the washer was a spacer as that is where one of the mountings go.

Out of interest, how much oil did you put in?
If the boot looks in and seated, it probably is.
When you say the joint had grease around it do you mean it is being flung out of it which, if is the case, is not a good thing.
While the rear wheel was off the ground did you slowly rotate it and feel for tight spots in the shaft joints. Always a good thing to do.

As part of the service I did the same job on mine today :thumb2

No Hugger that i know of, but the washer is history.

I put 180ml of oil in.

The joint looked dry but lubricated, , and it appeared to have some fine lines of grease around the bearings.

It has a nice coating of moly now,

The main spine had some grease on it, but not a lot. it has a nice covering now.

In terms of feeling for tight spots, not as such, the shaft turned freely, and i reassembled it and span the wheel, It didn't feel tight.

Mart

I use 200ml on oil changes and more than that at least once. Never had it leak due to over filling. IIRC BMW originally specced it for 220ml but dropped the level because they had the odd leak. Makes sense - if it leaks use less oil. What can go wrong?

I use 200ml on oil changes and more than that at least once. Never had it leak due to over filling. IIRC BMW originally specced it for 220ml but dropped the level because they had the odd leak. Makes sense - if it leaks use less oil. What can go wrong?

According to ADV rider there was a change to the refill qty dropping it from 200ml to 180ml

It's no biggie to drop another 20ML if needs be

Mart

The earlier models didn't have a breather so could develop a leak so the amount of oil was dropped. The TC models have a breather so not the same problem. Never heard of 180 ml. But that doesn't mean it's not kosher. I do 190ml.

The earlier models didn't have a breather so could develop a leak so the amount of oil was dropped. The TC models have a breather so not the same problem. Never heard of 180 ml. But that doesn't mean it's not kosher. I do 190ml.

I did a search and 180ml was the one that kept coming up

And the link on the how to page was the same

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_Final_Drive.html

Mart

IIRC there was a post from Mikeyboy, acknowledged master of the FD, saying it should be 200ml on the TC.
If I`m wrong someone will be along shortly.
Always use 200ml on mine since Mike rebuilt it last year.

I put 180ml in my 2006 bike the other week as that was the figure that kept coming up. That took it to bottom of drain bolt which was what was in there to start with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

IIRC there was a post from Mikeyboy, acknowledged master of the FD, saying it should be 200ml on the TC.
If I`m wrong someone will be along shortly.
Always use 200ml on mine since Mike rebuilt it last year.

Always 200ml on my TC, breather on FD so never concerned.

No harm in that :thumb2

TBH i always put 200ml in the bottle i use to transfer the oil into the FD but as some will stick to the sides
i reckon it will probably end up with 195ml. or so.

Back
Top Bottom