Lockable Cubby Holes

Silver Rat

Reaction score
I have just ordered an R1200RT LE with all the extras except the Audio!

I didnt think it was worth the £1075 and from reading various forums, there seemed to be a lack of compatability between BMW bluetooth and other comms......

Anyway, the bike I test rode had two lockable 'glove boxes' or 'cubby holes' , which I assumed would be on my bike but I learned this afternoon that a non Audio bike only has one at the left and the one on the right is blanked off!! Can anyone confirm this?

Also, if that is the case, can a lockable glove box be retrofitted as I assume there will be an electrical connection for the solenoid? Anyone done this as the the blanked off one looks pants!

Yes it's a easy conversion.

46 63 8 544 950 SEAL FLAP, RIGHT 1 £39.20

46 63 8 544 958. STORAGE BIN LOWER SECTION, RIGHT 1 £83.51

46 63 8 544 946 SEAL FOR STORAGE BIN, RIGHT 1 £19.31

46 63 8 532 314 SELF-LOCKING PLUG NUT - M5. 1 £1.25

46 63 8 534 872 SPRING. 2 £6.50 (£3.25 each)

46 63 8 549 852 FOAM INSERT, RIGHT. 1 £3.71

46 63 8 521 654 BODY SCREW WITH SHOULDER - M5X17,5MM 2 £2.78 (£1.39 each)

You will need to cover the large hole in the glove box if you don't get the wire as it has an oval grommet

They look like this

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1493009071.572800.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1493009071.572800.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 600
Is there any/much drilling or cutting to do it is this a replacement bin which just drops into place of the existing blank?

Forgot to add that you need a lock barrel as well https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=46_1627

Also, think the USB cable is part of the audio system, so you would have to get a USB power and or a rubber grommet to fill the hole.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=77_0737

Keep the chainsaw off, it's a torx bit only replacement!

Good news as I am not safe with cutting tools! Please keep this thread going if OP does ahead as I would love to see how to get the job done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You remove the front right side panel (sorry, lateral trim panel), by the two screws (or three) at the front and peel back, (newer models have Velcro) and disengage the panel where it joins the black plastic trim with the 12v outlet.

Three screws hold the panel with new cubby hole in, but one of them is in the inside, so assume two on. On cubby models.

On the basis you assembled the lock and key and solenoid before you stared work, fit cubby and connect solenoid.

Re-assemble.

15mins should do the trick, plus assembly of the lock and solenoid.

Excellent Wobble.

Thanks for the update. I did phone the dealer today to ask if when being built, mine could be specified with this but it was obviously too difficult!!

That said, its something I can easily do myself. I assume that power for the solenoid will be there in the loom somewhere.

K

PS. As an aside, I have read somewhere that the sat nav 'could' be added to the central locking with a little bit of work. I assume this solenoid would do the business for that too? I do like the lock that was manufactured by someone else but having to carry a key would defeat the object of me ordering a keyless bike!! I think it will become a little project when I get my bike at the end of May.

Sounds like a very expensive "plan" ... for a very small space . I have just one on mine (non audio) ... and it holds very very little.
Much better to use the space behind the speaker grills ... for the likes of tyre compressor (which hopefully never has to come out) , or a "big" toolkit .. other side, like wise

just make sure you keep the small toolkit under the seat , with necessary torx in it .... to gain access (2 screws)

and if you have speakers .................. no space !

Much better to use the space behind the speaker grills ... for the likes of tyre compressor (which hopefully never has to come out) , or a "big" toolkit .. other side, like wise

just make sure you keep the small toolkit under the seat , with necessary torx in it .... to gain access (2 screws)

and if you have speakers .................. no space !

Plus one ! Behind me speaker grills I have a kewood radio in the upright position, a small tool kit, air compressor and puncture kit. The Torx screws have been replaced with D-zus quick release fasteners. It's a doddle to get at them if and when needed.

I didn't realise they come out ? Is it east to and how do stop anything coming out? Is it hard to do ??

I didn't realise they come out ? Is it east to and how do stop anything coming out? Is it hard to do ??

See wobbles post 8 quite simple job to be honest

Back
Top Bottom