Wilburs Advice

Okay. Was just speaking to Firefox Racing and they have just given me a different option.
I can remove both front and rear units and send them over. They will remove the ESA parts and build them on to a pair of new YSS shocks. Turn around time of about week and a half.
Total cost £650-700.
Anyone any thoughts or experience with YSS or Firefox?

Okay. Was just speaking to Firefox Racing and they have just given me a different option.
I can remove both front and rear units and send them over. They will remove the ESA parts and build them on to a pair of new YSS shocks. Turn around time of about week and a half.
Total cost £650-700.
Anyone any thoughts or experience with YSS or Firefox?

Very happy with my YSS shock. Done a bit of searching on the interweb and couldn't find anything negative to be said about them. In the hand, you can tell it's not a Wilburs or an Ohlins but your invoice will also reflect this.

I'm a big lad (as you know) and my bike never gets "bimbled"......it get's ridden hard. I haven't found anything that makes me regret not investing more in the premium brands. I have also found out that Kennedy Motorcycles in Drogheda can look after them, come service time.

Firefox where a pleasure to deal with.

Good to know about Kennedy's. Only down the road from me.
The guy said that these were a new version that they'd only tried this week. Said that they seemed to handle well.
Said that with the ESA, the comfort setting is not just as soft as stock and the sport setting wasn't as firm.
Suppose I'm a bit anxious as they only have two years warranty. Although I suppose to maintain the five year warranty with Wilbers, you have to have them serviced anyway. If I do the same, don't foresee any major issues. You pays yer money...
Don't use the bike for commuting and try to keep it clean.
Think I'll start to remove the units anyway. Back one looks straight forward but front will take a bit longer.

Don't shout at me! :blast
I must stop sitting up late and scouring eBay. I have just bought one of these.
http://www.xparts.net/en/shop/sospensioni/rear-shock/5766/electronical-front-and-rear-mono-shock-eds-ii-system/
It's brand new, in the box and I made the seller a bad offer. Didn't actually expect to win it. £630?
Never even knew there was such a thing. Designed to fit ESA to a GS that didn't have it from the factory.
Means a separate switch to operate but must be reasonable quality?
Any experience anyone?
Might fit it or might not. Decide when I get it.
My wife says I'll never die in an asylum, change my mind too often! :mmmm

I recently fitted a YSS rear shock to my Mono airhead.
Build quality looks good & performs well enough ( limited by frame and front end) time will tell.
They claim to be the worlds largest aftermarket shock manufacturer.
With modern machining tolerances easily achieved and with the amount of material involved I think a "Name" of some shocks is being paid for under the guise of R&D.

Don't shout at me! :blast
I must stop sitting up late and scouring eBay. I have just bought one of these.
http://www.xparts.net/en/shop/sospensioni/rear-shock/5766/electronical-front-and-rear-mono-shock-eds-ii-system/
It's brand new, in the box and I made the seller a bad offer. Didn't actually expect to win it. £630?
Never even knew there was such a thing. Designed to fit ESA to a GS that didn't have it from the factory.
Means a separate switch to operate but must be reasonable quality?
Any experience anyone?
Might fit it or might not. Decide when I get it.
My wife says I'll never die in an asylum, change my mind too often! :mmmm

Jaysus John, I put my bike model into there system............€1800!!!!!

You've got some bargain there if it all works out for you.

Have you got any images of where the electronic preload unit is mounted.....in the pictures it looks like it's a remote unit ??

I recently fitted a YSS rear shock to my Mono airhead.
Build quality looks good & performs well enough ( limited by frame and front end) time will tell.
They claim to be the worlds largest aftermarket shock manufacturer.
With modern machining tolerances easily achieved and with the amount of material involved I think a "Name" of some shocks is being paid for under the guise of R&D.

Yeah I agree. I also think I read somewhere that ex WP executives set up the company.

Aye, it's a bit chunky. Might try to make up a couple of alloy side panels or similar to hide it.
Mind you, the ESA unit on the original shock isn't far off that size. Just looks a bit neater because it's mounted down the side of the shock.
Just a pity I couldn't utilise the existing ESA switch to operate it rather than the one that comes with it.

Aye, it's a bit chunky. Might try to make up a couple of alloy side panels or similar to hide it.
Mind you, the ESA unit on the original shock isn't far off that size. Just looks a bit neater because it's mounted down the side of the shock.
Just a pity I couldn't utilise the existing ESA switch to operate it rather than the one that comes with it.

I'd say it will be savage suspension!!

Must admit, thought I'd just bought the WP version of the stock BMW ESA shock.
But they do look different, with rear having a remote reservoir.
Be a week or two before they arrive and now I've explained to the child bride what a bargain I've been able to get,:rolleyes: I'm looking forward to trying them.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 233
The Dutch ESA sorry can't remember name has the same control/power box as Wilbers WESA X. Cost about £2000 for a GSA hexhead.

A fair bit of installation involved but I'd say it'll be well worth it.

Word of warning if buying stuff on eBay if the item is in Europe.
The cost, including p&p, jumped by £30 between my offer being accepted and the money going out of my bank account.
That's based on their conversion rate at that time.
No doubt they've got you in the small print.

Word of warning if buying stuff on eBay if the item is in Europe.
The cost, including p&p, jumped by £30 between my offer being accepted and the money going out of my bank account.
That's based on their conversion rate at that time.
No doubt they've got you in the small print.
Happens regularly....... if you are buying something in a different currency....... you are at the mercy of PayPal who I think get their exchange rates from the National Bank of Narnia!!

Sent from a OnePlusX.

I was thinking of using PayPal for taking card payments. 2%!!!! A nice way to make money at my expense.

Arrived this morning!
Box a bit tatty but everything inside is as new. According to the label inside it was made in 2008, so guessing maybe bankrupt or retirement NOS.
Feels like quality kit. Even the small bracket holding the control panel beside the clocks is machined alloy.
Make a start this evening.
Might start a thread with pics.

Started this evening and have removed the stock ESA front shock. Takes a minute or two!
Keith had remarked that the regulator on the WP rear shock was chunky, well here's what I removed from the front.
The new front should be a lot easier to install and the rear looks straight forward.
Just a bit wiring to do then. Trying to be ready for a run out at the weekend.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 318
Ahh John.......I wasn't havin' a go. I was more referring to where the rear unit was mounted.

It certainly looks like you got a crackin' deal.

Back
Top Bottom