Wife is a newbie F700GS Owner, advice needed

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, my wife should be taking delivery of her F700GS this week, she is going to use it to learn to ride on.
I am after advice as to what the best rash protection is for these and the best place to get kit from.
If anyone has some for sale give me a shout :D

Should be interesting as she is a below knee left leg amputee! I have a kliktronics to fit to allow her to ride it. Was taking it on an off a Kawasaki ER6 owned by the school but was a pain trying to fit in the lessons with time I can work.

Hi, my wife should be taking delivery of her F700GS this week, she is going to use it to learn to ride on.
I am after advice as to what the best rash protection is for these and the best place to get kit from.
If anyone has some for sale give me a shout :D

Should be interesting as she is a below knee left leg amputee! I have a kliktronics to fit to allow her to ride it. Was taking it on an off a Kawasaki ER6 owned by the school but was a pain trying to fit in the lessons with time I can work.

I have adventure spec crash bars on my F650 twin, very substantial and well made. Most BUT not all accessories from F650/800GS will fit. And theres always someone selling farkly bits on here.

My suggestion is get a headlight cover, Rugged Roads do one, reason being a stone chip ( not always off-road) can result in a £200 plus replacement. I also use a RR stand enlarger to provide stability.

I hope she enjoys the new bike

I have Givi on - 293383 / tn5103 my 700GS, but the Heed ones give great all round protection.

Givi do an engine guard set also are just that & only protect the engine. ( cheaper ) ;)

And don't forget 650GS / 700GS / 800GS all share the same frame, engines ( different powers ) & so many other parts.
( especially 650GS / 700GS )

So other than the 800 GSA many parts fit.

As Steve has said " Rugged Roads " headlight guard " most important ( I have one )

And again Rugged Roads side stand footprint extension is much better...

Also highly recommended -

R & G Radiator guard.
R & G sump guard / bash plate.
Givi screen AF5107 ( I have the sliding one ) :)
Powerbronze screen.
Plug screen.
Pyramid fender extender.

When I dropped my 700 on a car park �� the only damage was to the bar ends, brake lever, engine bars, and pannier rack.
If you have BMW vario pannier racks, engine bars ( mine were SW Motech) and handguards fitted - (something strong like acerbis) it should minimize any damage.
You could also get some bobbins for the front wheel.
I wouldn't bother with a side stand enlarger, the angle the bike stands at means it is not always easy to account for a larger side stand foot.

I've got Adventure Spec Crash Bars which together with my Heavy Duties pannier frames mean no part of my bike should ever touch the ground!!

D

Upper

I had the Touretech upper bars attached to the om engine bars

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 385
Thanks for the advice, pannier rails and engine guards will start things. Off raiding unlikely until the test is passed. As she is Tall Girls sister who flipping knows !!

My other half has a 2010 F650GS and whilst she can get both feet flat on the ground, she finds it very difficult to manoeuvre as it's somewhat top heavy. (she is 5' 2" and 7 stone) Consequently, the 650 is being put up for sale having only recently bought via Batman of this parish. I removed the aftermarket sidestand foot as this causes the need to stand the bike up beyond vertical to enable the stand to fold up.

I learned on the F800GSA and fitted the touratech engine bars, which was a sound investment - they earned their money. I would recommend the stand enlarger as well. On gravel or soft surfaces (I didnt do much off-roading) it just gave that peace of mind that the bike would end up buried by the time I got back.

Good luck to your Lady.

Well as no one has mentioned where to get kit from may I recommend the Adventure Bike Shop.
Good range of kit for ladies including jackets, trousers, boots, lids, gloves, yada yada.
They are a couple of hours from you but you can find them on line at: http://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/
Probably worth looking on-line and then giving them a ring before you visit.

Hi, my wife should be taking delivery of ....

I am after advice as to what the best rash protection is for these ....

I'd have thought a good pair of well fitting pants with no seams would be a good start .. :D

, but the Heed ones give great all round protection.

But they are not very well made....and if you do actually drop the bike or have an off they self destruct quite quickly.
The finish on them isn't great either and it doesn't take long for regular winter use for rust to start coming through at the joints.
They might be cheaper but I wouldn't use them again...more form than function IMHO.

But they are not very well made....and if you do actually drop the bike or have an off they self destruct quite quickly.
The finish on them isn't great either and it doesn't take long for regular winter use for rust to start coming through at the joints.
They might be cheaper but I wouldn't use them again...more form than function IMHO.

My mate has a set on his & they have been great, perhaps he's been lucky..
I'm more than happy with my GIVI one's..

Thanks for the advice, pannier rails and engine guards will start things. Off raiding unlikely until the test is passed. As she is Tall Girls sister who flipping knows !!

I have the SW-MOTECH - QUICK-LOCK EVO Side Carrier frames on mine.

On /off in 2 minutes if you need them off or just leave them on like I do

Plus Wolfman soft panniers

Superb items...

Pictures of pannier frames & Wolfman panniers

( You can also see the BMW extended rear mudguard, another highly recommended item that keeps the shite of the rear end )

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1493149181759.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493149181759.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 304
  • FB_IMG_1493149188549.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493149188549.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 290
I have Touratech crash bars and the uppers just took off my f800gs. I'd be prepared to part with

I've got sw motech engine bars. Very substantial, quite cheap and black to match the engine. Puig screen is OK but lots of wind noise of the top so a wunderlich extender on top is much better but flaps around a bit. Scottoiler saves lining th chain but even on the lowest setting has a habit of covering the back wheel rim in oily crud on one side. Standard lights are rubbish in the dark so extra lights or brighter bulbs are a must if riding country lanes at night. Some sort of bash plate/crud catcher will prevent the all too common paint peeling off th sump and the Mudsling does a great job of protecting the rear shock. OEM Hand guards fend off some of the weather and actually work better than 1200GS ones.

Oh and a Sargent sport touring seat made a lot of difference for me - the standard seat is horrible and the comfort seat is too soft with no room to move.

Ok, I got Stahlkoffer panniers and rails from a gentleman of this manor, rails are a bit cruddy and could do with a paint but the panniers are ok, Wunderlich crash bars fitted, L Plates fitted and kliktronic on and working. New screen also got from a lady of this manor however not going to be fitted until test passed. The story so far :D

Attachments

• kliktroinc.jpg
    kliktroinc.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 217
  • rachels bike.jpg
    rachels bike.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 217
I have Givi on - 293383 / tn5103 my 700GS, but the Heed ones give great all round protection.

Givi do an engine guard set also are just that & only protect the engine. ( cheaper ) ;)

And don't forget 650GS / 700GS / 800GS all share the same frame, engines ( different powers ) & so many other parts.
( especially 650GS / 700GS )

So other than the 800 GSA many parts fit.

As Steve has said " Rugged Roads " headlight guard " most important ( I have one )

And again Rugged Roads side stand footprint extension is much better...

Also highly recommended -

R & G Radiator guard.
R & G sump guard / bash plate.
Givi screen AF5107 ( I have the sliding one ) :)
Powerbronze screen.
Plug screen.
Pyramid fender extender.
What out of all those screens is your favourite one? I find the original 700 screen useless but my Puig screen can be a bit hot in summer so I'm thinking of getting something a bit bigger than the OEM but something that still gives some protection and a bit of cooling in the summer. I still the 800 screen any good?

Hmm just tried to fit panniers, bolts and spacer's missing. I asked the seller and he said he'd kept them to fit other panniers on his bike. People, if its not all there then tell peeps ffs. If a shop did this to you, you'd go spare!

Back
Top Bottom