GoPro case/mount failure - lost camera

Snowy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was having a hoot riding from Aberystwyth to Devils Bridge to Tregaron last week. I started my GoPro just outside Aberystwyth and went to turn it off at Tregaron to find that it had vanished. I was gutted. I wouldn't expect that sort of failure of the kit. Some may be able to get supersonic on that road but I certainly couldn't. So it definitely wasn't speed that caused it to break. It was 2 years old but hardly used.

I emailed GoPro explaining what had happened and included photos of what was left. I made it very clear the camera had fallen off and was lost. Anyway, It is out of warranty so GoPro offered me 20% off a new camera bought from their website shop as long as I can send the damaged camera back to them :blast

Oh well, time to get a new camera (but probably not a GoPro).

Attachments

• 20170424_110939.jpg
    20170424_110939.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 502
Looks like it's been in a war. Mounted on GSA crash bar? Had the buckles snap but not seen anything like this.

For others with GoPro's... whe we use GoPro's in skydiving, most centres insist on a safety tether from the camera case to another point near the mounting so that IF the junction fractures as this has, the camera doesn't fly free. These are the commercial ones ( https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/accessories-2/camera-tethers/ATBKT-005.html ) but they could easily be manufactured at home

I have a Thieye T5E mounted on my helmet, uses a GoPro type mount, think I had better get one of those security connectors by the look of that. :nenau

It was mounted on the upper crash bar. I had a RAM mount left over from when I bought my Garmin 590 and didn't need it so used that as my GoPro mount. Possibly a bit over engineered for the job but it worked and saved me from having to buy one.

Not sure if the thumbscrew was overtightened or not. It was only ever hand-tightened but clearly something went wrong so guess it has to be a possibility (wouldn't expect that to happen though).

Broke of them, first time lost a black+.
I put up here somwhere, always lanyard the camera.
Those neck straps they hand out free at bike shops and shows work well.

Probably vibration caused a stress fracture in the plastic.

Has anyone else had a similar failure wit hthese mounts?

Mine feels pretty solid on my helmet, same set up as the moto X riders use, and theirs seem to hang on in there OK.

Probably vibration caused a stress fracture in the plastic.

Has anyone else had a similar failure wit hthese mounts?

Mine feels pretty solid on my helmet, same set up as the moto X riders use, and theirs seem to hang on in there OK.

Probably less vibration on your noggin than the bike - though it might not feel like it sometimes - though your set-up does come with its own set of potential problems... ask Herr Schumacher

Yes that's true. The downside of having it helmet mounted is the wind noise, effectively no useable sound at any sort of speed.

I had exactly the same happen to me last year on my France trip. Had a GoPro mounted on the helmet and another mounted on the crash bars. Stopped for petrol on the motorway some 80 miles from Le Havre to discover the GoPro on the engine bars missing. Just like yours, the mount had sheered off in exactly the same way!!!!

Got in touch with GoPro on my return to English, on the basis that GoPro market their stuff as adventure cameras and of high quality therefore the mount should not have failed. Unfortunately because I didn't have the serial number of the camera, nor the purchase receipt GoPro didn't want to know!!!!!!

Having lost a cheap action cam years ago, crashbar mounted,
i use a camera lanyard and the round stick on lanyard loop on the back door
I have noticed mounting on the engine or crash bars the picture showed vibration,
This may be why the case failed, one go pro shut down when mounted on the engine crash bar,
I use ram mounts, the rubber ball offers some insulation from vibes, and dont mount near the engine any more, mainly to avoid damaging the camera through vibes,
Roamer

Having lost a cheap action cam years ago, crashbar mounted,
i use a camera lanyard and the round stick on lanyard loop on the back door
I have noticed mounting on the engine or crash bars the picture showed vibration,
This may be why the case failed, one go pro shut down when mounted on the engine crash bar,
I use ram mounts, the rubber ball offers some insulation from vibes, and dont mount near the engine any more, mainly to avoid damaging the camera through vibes,
Roamer

The only vibration free solution I've found is mounting on the GSA crash bars with a Ram mount.

Back
Top Bottom