BATTERY??

gaz238

Reaction score
Hi,
just had bmw do a health check on my 1200 gsa and they recommend a new battery, the printout being as follows:

volts 13.00
measured 156 cca
rating 333 cca
battery number ytx12-bs
capacity 46%

the strange thing is I fitted a brand new motobatt mbtx12u about a month ago so that battery number on the printout is incorrect for a start unless the printout just automatically shows the oem battery number. also the motobatt was advertised as having a cca of 200. :nenau

all advice welcome, PLEASE

regards, gary

Sounds like a load of bs to me, if it starts your bike ok doesn't go flat I wouldn't replace it, ask them where they get the info from if they don't even know what battery is in it,

Starting an engine normally uses very little of a battery's capacity. The biggest stress for any lead acid is hard sulphation due to lack of use. Use a conditioning charger or get a battery that wont suffer supination damage.

Only true way to measure battery condition is with voltage drop meter, but I'm rather set in my ways !

I'd be tempted to ask for written report that battery is duff, so that you can make warranty claim, as battery is only a month old.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

update

currently waiting for bmw to ring me back but had a reply from motobatt saying that the motobatt is only 200 cca so the test is invalid and also even if it was the yuasa battery then that is even less cca at 180 so basically the whole test is bs, ill let u know what bmw say. btw this whole thing only happened cos I was told by an independent that I needed new o2 sensors but the bike as running ok and economical soo thought id get a second opinion, turns out it was the throttle bodies which the independent said were fine at the time of the service, also there was too much brake fluid in rear brake so with expansion things could have got nasty, so be warned about trying to save a few quid with an independent. mind you things don't seem to be going much better with bmw do they??:blast

Back
Top Bottom