Any Tosser recommendations for accommodation on Arran?

AndyR34

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Iain (The Stimulator) and I are taking the long way home after the Dent weekend, via the Lakes, the Queen's Highway, Tyndrum etc. and we're looking at an overnight stop on Arran on the Sunday night, anyone have any good recommendations for decent accommodation (and grub!) on Arran, just before or just after the ferry ports (Ardrossan/Claonaig)?

Cheers (in anticipation).

Andy :thumby:

There must be a pub there somewhere Andy!
Sorry, I don't know.

Andy, stayed at the KILDONAN hotel for a couple of nights a few years back. great location, great food and views.

There must be a pub there somewhere Andy!
Sorry, I don't know.

Mr Google tells me there are many Iain :) but I want a good one that makes a good breakfast and sets me up for the day... only a Tosser's recommendation will do I'm afraid.
Are you joining us for the ride down on the friday? If so, where do you want to meet up?
Andy

Andy, stayed at the KILDONAN hotel for a couple of nights a few years back. great location, great food and views.

Cheers Russell,
Looks cracking, their online booking is offline at the mo, will see what Iain (The Stimulator) says and get in touch direct with them.
Andy

It's kind of basic, but we head to the Catacol Bay Hotel yearly.

Rooms are basic but cheap, food is hearty stuff, beer decent. A few minutes from the Lochranza Ferry to Claonaig.

Mr Google tells me there are many Iain :) but I want a good one that makes a good breakfast and sets me up for the day... only a Tosser's recommendation will do I'm afraid.
Are you joining us for the ride down on the friday? If so, where do you want to meet up?
Andy

Joining you sounds a good idea (assuming my 4" of snow is well gone by then!)
I'll be going from Dallas to the Lecht and on to Braemar, etc.
Where / when is your plan to be over that area?

+1 for the Kildonan Ive stayed there and it was ace, we had a very nice room with balcony on the first floor with sea view, the grub was vey good and it has a proper bar so decent beer

Joining you sounds a good idea (assuming my 4" of snow is well gone by then!)
I'll be going from Dallas to the Lecht and on to Braemar, etc.
Where / when is your plan to be over that area?

Cool, the more the merrier :)
Iain (The Stimulator) has published a rough route down:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...://1drv.ms/u/s!AgNJVg-GN7W3g4kOYUQjVYbHPVafcg
The snow I am told will be long gone, in fact, it'll be shorts weather all weekend, and pina colados with umbrellas will be the enforced liquid refreshment of choice...
If you want to meet up beforehand to discuss over a pint brew etc. drop me a pm and we can do so.
Andy

Cool, the more the merrier :)
Iain (The Stimulator) has published a rough route down:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...://1drv.ms/u/s!AgNJVg-GN7W3g4kOYUQjVYbHPVafcg
The snow I am told will be long gone, in fact, it'll be shorts weather all weekend, and pina colados with umbrellas will be the enforced liquid refreshment of choice...
If you want to meet up beforehand to discuss over a pint brew etc. drop me a pm and we can do so.
Andy

Hi Andy,

I'll look at that once I get all the Basecamp stuff running again!
Redundant tomorrow afternoon so my head's abit busy at the moment (mainly f****** Nav V and job hunting) but I'll pm you for a chat.

Ta,

Iain

Hi Andy,

I'll look at that once I get all the Basecamp stuff running again!
Redundant tomorrow afternoon so my head's abit busy at the moment (mainly f****** Nav V and job hunting) but I'll pm you for a chat.

Ta,

Iain

No problem, happy to catch up over a brew at a time that suits you.
Also happy to discuss over a good old paper map :)
Andy

Cheers All,

The plan is morphing as I write, we may now look for somewhere on the mainland as our Sunday route is a fairly long one (and our Monday return run is a fairly short one... so we may spend more time on Arran on the Monday AM...).

Any good spots between Ayr and Ardrossan?

Cheers again

On Arran, Lamlash Bay hotel, food is good as well + there is an excellent pub / restaurant called the Drift Inn jus down the road and two other bar / restaurants in Lamlash, I much prefer it to Brodick. Part of the roads on the island need some upgrades but it's still very enjoyable and easy touring around. Ferry is good and cheap as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we've more or less decided to stop on the mainland on the Sunday night, then get the 08:20 ferry from Ardrossan Monday morning. Gives us more time on Arran and a decent days ride on the Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Back
Top Bottom