R100GS paralever advice

spen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been offered a R 100 GS square headlight was an import purple and black , someone didn't like the colour and got it repainted all black ,It has been owned buy the seller for around 10 years ,original tool kit and history , decent condition say 7 out of 10 , sorry I have no pics but I was wondering what is the price range for these ,he's looking £3500 firm no offers , worth the money or to much ?

Cheers

Okay Edit your title its an R100GS or a 1000cc GS Paralever

GS1000 was a Suzuki

If ya wanna "walk the walk" then you have to learn "to talk the talk"

Purple and Black would have been Carica Blue and around about 1992

Service history, Mileage, etc, would be an advantage and also if it has had any modifications ??

Okay Edit your title its an R100GS or a 1000cc GS Paralever

GS1000 was a Suzuki

If ya wanna "walk the walk" then you have to learn "to talk the talk"

Thanks Jay, I was in a hurry
R100GS NOT A SUZUKI , yes I think 1993 German import , also had some purple on the seat ( which has been covered over ) sent you a pic on whats app

With no detail as to the bikes condition etc it's hard to say but it seems that even a dog of a R100GS will fetch good money. If I'm not mistaken Spen, you are quite handy with a spanner and have great cleaning skills. I don't think you can go far wrong at that price and would be pushed to find a really nice one for much less. Service history is important, just like any other vehicle and it would be interest to know if it has had a reconditioned gearbox, new drive shaft or suspension etc. If it has, that is a good thing because on a boxer of high miles (I don't know your mileage) it is likely those items will have been changed, serviced or knackered if not.

You know the score and you're not daft, I know you'll make the right decision. Let us know how you get on and a picture would be nice. Oh, I don't like the Carica Blue although I'm sure it is a acquired taste but if it's been painted well, that would be a bonus to me :). Good luck.:thumb2

as above, pics, mileage? Sounds like its been messed a bit cosmetically, which in my mind is always a worry as it could be a way of replacing or concealing damage, but then again it might all be perfectly innocent. I recently imported a purple 1992 R100Gs from germany, and while I initially was set to change the colour to red I now strangely find myself head over heels in love with the colour. :D

I have to say speaking to the owner I would be confident that the bike has been looked after ,if I remember it has around the 40 K miles on it

If the 40,000 miles is genuine factor in the cost of a new EI rebuilable driveshaft, EI rear paralever bearings and maybe a new starter------------.
And start saving for a gearbox rebuild!

Gearbox life on Paralever bikes varies, and depends a lot on how had you are on the throttle, and how well the sliding splines at the rear of the driveshaft are lubed.
If you are heavy on the throttle and the splines are a little dry they will gall, or lock up, which locks the suspension and results in the drive shaft trying to pull the output shaft out of the box.
A quality lube with at least 50% moly helps prevent this, Honda make one and some of the greases for the CV joints on FWD drive cars are good too.
Renault sold one 50 years ago which was the only thing that would keep the IRS on the rear of a Triumph sports car moving!
So put 5 quid a week aside and when the time comes you will have something in the kitty yo pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom