Kombi on, but no one home

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's an odd one

As i was driving home tonight, the Lampf cropped up on the Kombi

Initial thoughts were the sidelight bulb i had replaced , i thought the housing was a bit iffy, so

was expecting to do some soldering over the weekend.

Anyway, as i am approaching the usual stationary traffic i noticed i couldnt see my dipped beam reflect in any of the cars.

So i popped on full beam as a quick fix.

No full beam either, but the full beam symbol in the Kombi was lit.

Once i got home, the side light was fine, the dipped beam & full beam were inoperative

Wiggleing the cable and they came on ....

The cable / plug looks ok, so im wondering if its the headlamp housing fitting..

Time to get the bypass cable in operation

Any ideas why the lamp on the kombi was working, but not the bulb?

mart

I think the display indication lamp for high beam is just an indication which switches on/off when you operate switchgear, regardless of actual lamp status. You could unplug the lamp holders and prove/disprove this.

It could be a loose connection as you say, hence the front lamp failure warning message in the display. It could also be a chafed loom (not uncommon on these bikes).

I recently had issues with an intermittently seizing alternator (cracked casing) which gave lampf and no headlamp, I guess the engine was running on battery power after it seized, then it freed up again and all faults cleared. A couple of days later it seized again with a squealing belt (a new alternator sorted it.)

Might be worth checking your alternator isn't corroded/split casing just in case.

I had my dip beam bulb blow last autumn (these bikes are SO unreliable.....:rolleyes: ) and of course the Lampf warning came up. A couple of days later the warning came up again on my way home from work. I went around the bike and every single light, including indicators, was working normally. Turned it off and on again and all was fine. Then a couple of days later the same thing. After a few more false alarms I wiggled the headlight connector and haven't seen the warning since. Worth a try - sometimes it really is something simple!

When I changed the bulb in the dark and the rain I lost the metal u-shaped clip that holds the connector onto the bulb (I think that's what it's for? Can't quite remember). Much later, I found the clip lodged somewhere when I had the beak off. I haven't got around to re-fitting it yet but I suspect the lack of that clip to hold it all together may have contributed to a less than perfect connection.

Back
Top Bottom