Main beam set & MOT

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick Q,

Is the main beam set / position an MOT requirement / Pass/ Fail

Looking at the regs, i can clearly see dipped beam is a requirement & Pass / fail , but main beam is vague

Just need to know whether i need to spend some money on an adjustor rod

Quick Q,

Is the main beam set / position an MOT requirement / Pass/ Fail

Looking at the regs, i can clearly see dipped beam is a requirement & Pass / fail , but main beam is vague

Just need to know whether i need to spend some money on an adjustor rod
It's normally shone into the beam tester and flipped from dip to main to make sure it shines in the correct area so it doesn't dazzle.

It's normally shone into the beam tester and flipped from dip to main to make sure it shines in the correct area so it doesn't dazzle.

Unless you're an MoT tester, in which case I bow to your superior knowledge, I think this is misleading to the OP. Yes, it's shone into the beam tester to make sure the alignment is good and doesn't dazzle on dip beam. But of course main beam will dazzle - that's why you have to dip it for oncoming traffic! Flicking it on to main beam while still aiming at the beam tester is surely just to ensure that main beam works and points higher than dip? I'm sure there's no specific directional test for main beam.

Unless you're an MoT tester, in which case I bow to your superior knowledge, I think this is misleading to the OP. Yes, it's shone into the beam tester to make sure the alignment is good and doesn't dazzle on dip beam. But of course main beam will dazzle - that's why you have to dip it for oncoming traffic! Flicking it on to main beam while still aiming at the beam tester is surely just to ensure that main beam works and points higher than dip? I'm sure there's no specific directional test for main beam.
You are correct young man and will receive a coconut.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The hexhead dip and main are a linked unit...

If the dip needs dipping down a touch wind the preload on and make sure the fat tester is not sat on the bike.

Main beam set & MOT

Set dip beam so it won't dazzle then set it a bit lower. Sorted. If you can't set it lower wind the rear shock preload to full height.
Main beam is irrelevant unless it scatters light everywhere which it won't even with a yobbo brand HID.
If you have LED markers spots etc they should all work and not cause dazzle.

The hexhead dip and main are a linked unit...

If the dip needs dipping down a touch wind the preload on and make sure the fat tester is not sat on the bike.

I only have the adjustor on the top right of the light cluster

The lower one in the middle (two up adjustor? ) has gone walkabout £20 for a replacement :)

Back
Top Bottom