New RT on order, what to look out for

thomo57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi RT type people, I've been on a '09 F800 GS for over 80,000 miles and I've bit the bullet and got a new RT coming in May.
The GS has been a cracking bike, but it gets loaded like a mule when we go two up touring, so its going into semi retirement and I'm keen to know is there anything I need to watch out for on the new'un ?

I've ordered the first addition today, got a Hornig GPS mount coming to fit the faithfull TomTom Rider on
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....n-and-Communication/GPS-Mount-R1200RT-LC.html

I was going to buy the Nav 6, but reading the forum page on here, there is currently a problem with the supply and I'm no lover of Garmins.

Really looking forward to getting to know the RT, having some extra space and it will be good to be back on tubeless tyres :)

i have the same combination an RTlc and a GS 800

My RT is fully loaded except a top box and audio. i put some cylinder head Protectors on and a bigger foot for the side stand, Apart from that ,enjoy the bike,its a fantastic machine

The mirrors have a big blind spot, and it's not as easy to load up as a GS,especially if you want to take a tent etc. But a great bike to ride, and it's a lot faster than you think it would be for a large bike that's heavier than a GS but doesn't feel it at all. Better on fuel as well.

Thanks all for the replies and tips..

Got the bike booked in for Ventureshield , soon after I take delivery & cylinder head guards are on order.
Just realised I may have to buy BMW communicators for our BMW helmets, to get bluetooth from bike to both helmets, as currently using Cardo Scala G4's :blast
Really looking forward to getting out on the new'un

Probably about to take the same leap.

Enjoy and do let us know how you get on.

What colour have you ordered?

Probably about to take the same leap.

Enjoy and do let us know how you get on.

What colour have you ordered?

Davel, I've been dithering on whether to buy an RT since a test ride three years ago..
I was not too keen on the colours available, and couldn't make my mind up Black, White or Platinum Bronze.
My good lady made an executive decision and announced it would be Platinum Bronze.... who was I to argue.

I'll keep you posted on how we get on:cool:

What you and the wife or you and the bike?

Also struggling on colour. Not keen on blue or carbon black.

I like the white but don't want to look like a copper.

Thanks all for the replies and tips..

Got the bike booked in for Ventureshield , soon after I take delivery & cylinder head guards are on order.
Just realised I may have to buy BMW communicators for our BMW helmets, to get bluetooth from bike to both helmets, as currently using Cardo Scala G4's :blast
Really looking forward to getting out on the new'un

The BMW com's are a nightmare! Log in to SENA , get paired up and your good to go .

Make sure they include the free pipe and slippers. Some dealers forget these. :D

Hi

I looked for an alternative to the mount bars that fit over the faring

I removed the Garmin connection and made a bracket to fit the tomtom so its in the same place without any extra bits on show. I can refit the Garmin bits when I sell.
Basically it is a stainless hasp from a DIY Store Hasp and staple plus a strong Neodymium magnet One side I drilled to match the holes left by the Garmin mount the other side I drilled to match the Tomtom mount. Cost me less than GBP 10.00 Power is from the battery via a relay triggered by the aux socket on the fairing. The magnet meas I can remove the tomtom easily but it stays in place whist I am riding

Back
Top Bottom