What is the best security device for going away abroad

Just get a decent, alarmed disc-lock.

Not too heavy, might even fit under the seat

Al

Disclock to dissuade the opportunist scrote.
If professional thieves want your bike then they'll have it away, regardless of your security.

Stay at from huge towns like central Paris etc and you'll have no bother at all.

Disk lock and a chain with lock.
Never had any problems so far but better to be safe.
Agree with the previous post will only ever be able to stop opportunists, if someone knows what they are doing they'll have it.

This is my solution. I'm hoping that as a result, if my bike is nicked it will by a gentleman thief, not a run-of-the-mill scrote and as such I will feel less aggrieved...

And if it does get nicked, you can have a day in the spa, while you book your flights home!:D

Is it more likely to get nicked abroad than back in Blighty??

I'd have thought the big risk is at home. Surely the chances of a scrote happening to see your bike and get his shit organised whilst your over-nighting in a foreign hotel are considerably lower than somebody clocking your bike at home and planning a lift at their leisure.

Is it more likely to get nicked abroad than back in Blighty??

I'd have thought the big risk is at home. Surely the chances of a scrote happening to see your bike and get his shit organised whilst your over-nighting in a foreign hotel are considerably lower than somebody clocking your bike at home and planning a lift at their leisure.

anecdotally, most people I have known to have bikes stolen have had them taken from home or workplace by organised gangs probably stealing to order. As you imply, they will do their research to know when the bike will be in a particular location unattended and will have suitable equipment to defeat security whilst causing the minimum of fuss.

anecdotally, most people I have known to have bikes stolen have had them taken from home or workplace by organised gangs probably stealing to order. As you imply, they will do their research to know when the bike will be in a particular location unattended and will have suitable equipment to defeat security whilst causing the minimum of fuss.

Feck, got to the gate this morning, and noticed footprints on a cross rail, someone was in my garden last night. Possibly checking out the goods and security.

I gave 3 locks on a gate, bike is under a. Over and each wheel gas a chain through it, one of which is anchored to the house.

CCTV is a next thing I think. Fecking paranoid now. Bike and locks not been touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never bothered with a chain or lock in about 15 trips round Europe.
I have a tracker I leave on the bike if I feel the need for additional security.
Just be sensible where you park.

I use the steering lock plus a plastic coated cable with an Oxford U lock, i like Wapping's idea with the combination cable lock no keys to lose.

I have travelled all over Europe including places like Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, Hungary, Romania . I have only ever carried a disc lock and only used that on the rare occasions the bike has had to stay on the street overnight. In towns I look for accommodation with secure parking and have always found hotel and guest house owners to be very understanding often going out of their way to get my bike indoors.

We spent a whole day in Montenegro unaware that I had left the key in one of the panniers. This was with the bike parked in the centre of a town. The fact is most of our European neighbours appear less dishonest than people here. When I lived in Austria I almost never even removed the ignition key when I parked and certainly did not have to bother with removing my sat nav.

As tourists we tend not to stray into the more dubious areas anyway. Just be sensible about where you leave your bike and you will be fine.

John

Back
Top Bottom