What is the best security device for going away abroad

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a security device/chain when leaving bike unatended abroad, be it when stopping for lunch/supermarket shopping, overnight camping/hotel carparks etc.

I rather not carry a massive almax chain and use the space in the pannier for something else.

What do you guys recommend?

Fire away with your suggestions.

EV

I always carry this. Home & abroad. But to be fair I always take my chain for overnight especially as it'll be left outdoors when camping

42d84acbcc8992af3eb123867e12967b.jpg

Won't stop the bike being carried off. But it'll stop kids.

Should say there is a cheaper older version sledg granit just has more rubber on it. But it's the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realistic threat vs compromise:

How much do you value your bike?

How real is the prospect of theft?

What level of hassle are you prepared to accept?

I don't regard a bike "locked" unless it's locked to something immovable. But anything heftier than a 13mm chain will probably be too bulky to fit in travel kit. On my France/Spain/Portugal trip next year, I'll be taking my Abus Granit Extreme chain & padlock (1.2m x 11mm links), a Granit disc lock, and my Aldi light bike cover. My mate will have similar, so we'll at least be able to secure the bikes together, if not to anything solid/immovable.

I always carry this. Home & abroad. But to be fair I always take my chain for overnight especially as it'll be left outdoors when camping

42d84acbcc8992af3eb123867e12967b.jpg

Won't stop the bike being carried off. But it'll stop kids.

Should say there is a cheaper older version sledg granit just has more rubber on it. But it's the same

Will look into these.

What about abus d-locks, thinking to secure it over driveshaft and through the rear wheel. I Might take my lighter than almax chain, just in case.

Realistic threat vs compromise:

How much do you value your bike?

How real is the prospect of theft?

What level of hassle are you prepared to accept?

I don't regard a bike "locked" unless it's locked to something immovable. But anything heftier than a 13mm chain will probably be too bulky to fit in travel kit. On my France/Spain/Portugal trip next year, I'll be taking my Abus Granit Extreme chain & padlock (1.2m x 11mm links), a Granit disc lock, and my Aldi light bike cover. My mate will have similar, so we'll at least be able to secure the bikes together, if not to anything solid/immovable.

Very valid point, which i have thought off, however carrying unnecessary weight, doesn't mean that i shall go away with ought security device.

A conundrum for sure. Taking the biggest bad boy lock and chain, as I did last time is a waste of space and weighs a friggin ton.

As said earlier it is a balancing act and read Reviews of people using security cable. So not wanting to spend a fortune, have bought a disc lock and this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-braided-steel-security-cable-3m-x-15mm/7161g

Long enough to pass through bikermate bike and mine, if unable to find a solid structure to fasten to, so lifting them will take some doing, and bought a hefty padlock for it. Pretty light set up that will give the appearance of being secure to the scrotes who may try to grab an opportunity. If not touring with 'mates' though would look for a shorter cable, one around 1.5m.

As said earlier don't sweat it too much. Chances of it happening are low and if it's nicked and insured it's hassle, but so is taking 18mm Almax chains etc with you. Good comprise in the above I have found so far.

Watch some fecker nick me bike in France next week now :blast

Get a Roadlok, and stay in half decent hotels.;)

Looking for a security device/chain when leaving bike unatended abroad, be it when stopping for lunch/supermarket shopping, overnight camping/hotel carparks etc.

I rather not carry a massive almax chain and use the space in the pannier for something else.

What do you guys recommend?

Fire away with your suggestions.

I use:

An Abus coil combination lock. Why? It's reasonably strong, so will resist a simple opportunist thief's go at pinching your awesome steed, which is all you can hope for. Anything more and they'll have bike away if they really want it, irrespective. It coils up reasonably small, it has no key (so nothing to lose) and it's quick and easy to use, so.... guess what.... I use it. I have seen others cart heavy locks and chains not use them, because they discover it's a faff and they then cannot be arsed. They might as well have left it all at home, saved the weight and reduced the size of their panniers *

An Abus retractable cable combination lock. Small enough to fit in your hand, extending to about one metre of cable. Great for holding a helmet and jacket to your bike whilst you wander about or just stop for a coffee. Easy and reliable to use, so guess what...

And of course I always keep a pound of butter in the fridge.....

* If in doubt:

Taking the biggest bad boy lock and chain, as I did last time is a waste of space and weighs a friggin ton.

I must be both lucky and chilled. I take a small Xena disk lock and use it only if the bike is to be left on a street overnight. Otherwise it's the steering lock. When camping security mostly consists of remembering to take the key out.

Most places I have travelled to in Europe , North America, and Africa local bikers take a very relaxed attitude to security with helmets and jackets routinely left unsecured to the bike and I can't really recall seeing bikes secured with chains. But, I don't go in big towns much and definitely not into major cities or capitals. I was warned once not to take my bike into Amsterdam as "100% guaranteed it will be stolen".

Just my experience. I will probably walk to an empty parking space where I last put my bike soon. Ho hum.

Get a cheap plastic cover to go over the bike. ime people rarely lift a cover to see whats underneath.

I don't carry a lock, just use the steering lock and choose hotels or BnBs with safe parking

Never had a problem parking in towns either, I put the lids in the top box which is reserved for them and I leave the side cases on for the jackets when touring

I do have an Abus retractable cable combination lock for the jackets when the side cases are full

Cue, plaintive noise from stage right..... "My cheap plastic cover has melted onto me exhaust. How do I get the residue off, mate?'

Usual caveats apply, regarding letting the bike cool down before covering. :)

Lock and chain, every time...............and use it

You can't be too careful, in those dark lands

Usual caveats apply, regarding letting the bike cool down before covering. :)

Someone (a thief, probably) will espy the awesome steed during this possibly extended period, absolutely negating or at best, significantly reducing the cover's efficacy. Taking asbestos wrapping is the only answer.... just don't breath in too much.

I don't take my Almax and Pragmassis pin on tour, it's just too heavy. I do take an Oxford Boss alarmed shank lock for the front wheel and a plastic covered steel cable to put around a post. I also use the cable when wild camping; one end attached to the bike and the other to the duffel bag inside the tent so if some scrote wants to try and push it off in the night it will pull the bag and wake me up. But the most effective thing is the rain cover IMO, out of sight is out of mind. I can normally stick all of this in a Kriega 10L on top of a pannier lid.

50338FBA-BEE4-4561-911C-A0DB553CF77D_zpsgugyy3id.jpg

C16BAC1B-5994-42AC-9756-57995F41FCDD_zpsnh3w7qnd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom