Can you help with features on a motorbike cover?

Banjaxed

Reaction score
OK, I've searched all over the place and haven't found the ideal motorcycle cover. There are lots around, and some have useful features and some are... crap!

So I'm thinking of getting a batch made in China and seeing how they sell. I've taken a look at a number available around the world and am looking at producing a higher-cost, but durable item. I'm not looking at the '£9.99 melt onto your exhaust and disappear in a high wind' type...

Here's what seems to be popular (although none seem to have all these features):
  • Fully waterproof
  • Breathable (or weatherproof air vents)
  • Strong construction
  • UV-resistant
  • Reflective strips (? in seams)
  • Different sizes available (and possibly colours, too?)
  • Largest size to allow for panniers/top-box
  • Elasticated bottom hem
  • Heatproof lower part (MUST NOT melt on hot exhaust pipe)
  • One or two bottom fixing straps (must be strong - withstand high wind)
  • Cutouts at front to accept locking chain, etc.
  • Carry bag to pack away cover
What have I missed? If I manage to get a good cover made, with features experienced riders appreciate, I'll certainly make them available here at a discount! :beerjug:

Thanks!

more than one strap is needed, certainly. Our weather is increasingly stormy. I have found that eventually the elastic degrades so the the wind is able to lift the cover off the front and/or rear of the bike. I've ended up using additional bungee cords to stop the cover flapping about.

The central strap needs to be long so you do not have to grovel under the bike trying to reach the hook on a piece of elasticated cord. Maybe use one of those quick release webbing straps like you get on luggage.

It's a pretty crowded market - is it worth the bother?

Thanks Wessie - good points. I think the quick-release clips would be a best and two straps would indeed be ideal.
You may be right - there are quite a few on sale, but it's surprising how little thought seems to have gone into most of them. I'll do a bit more research, then see. Thanks!

Both my 'bikes have slept outside from new ... the others before them, so I've been using motorcycle covers for thirty years!

One cover isn't sufficient, I use a soft kind of cover that isn't waterproof but is kind to the paintwork. I use an old sweat shirt with the arms cut off and sewn up, over the windscreen! Then a heavy duty fully waterproof cover over the top ... over the years I've found only the blue Wunderlich cover up to the job. Durable, they last for six or seven years easily, fully waterproof. I would never ever put a cover over a hot recently ridden motorcycle, so the 'anti melt' isn't required and would be almost impossible to achieve methinks!

As Wessie says about the straps ... I don't even bother. I use a couple of the long straps used to secure new BMW bikes in their crates. They have aluminium buckles at one end, the strap slides through and grips when you pull tight. A thumb lock on the strap releases. With these I can 'throw' the buckle under the bike and pick up at the other side and then pull tight over the top. This is all that is required and stops the cover from flapping in any wind ... no chaffing of the bike paintwork at all!

My bikes haven't suffered, no corrosion and clean up like new using covers as per above :thumb

:beerjug:

My wife made a made to measure one for my electraglide out of large tent fly sheet (son used to work in a camping shop). It has at simple pair of ties where it meets front wheel , and some at the back as well just a strap like above over the middle . Withstood a gale when camped on a beach on mull, more than I can say for the tent.

Soft lined where the waterproof cover contacts the screen, paintwork and clocks , the top of the range car ones are triple layered with a fleece lining ?

Would you not be better sorting out the specs and speak to a manufacturer in the UK (one of the companies that make up bespoke car covers ) to make up a prototype of exactly what you want before you take the plunge .

Then at least if the venture doesn't take off you will not be too much out of pocket and you will have exactly the cover you are after

No graphics on it. Stealth is your friend - in the city or country. Please look into a light weight option that's perfect for those camping trips when you don't want junk in your trunk.

If I could buy one off the shelf it would be like the Wunderlich one I have with two extra webbing straps underneath. Ideally stitched to the cover with adjustable side release buckles. I still have to secure the cover at the front and back to stop them lifting in the wind. There is elastic in the Wunderlich cover but it is not strong enough and if it was it would make it really difficult to put the cover on so a draw string type adjuster that can be pulled tight when the cover is on the bike.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 237
Looks good with the list so far, it's got to be functional without screaming "Look at my expensive cover for my expensive bike that's hidden underneath"

I'd not think a number plate window was a good idea personally as I'd want as much hidden as possible.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with as I use my K16 for work a lot and always take my crappy, holed and stained M&P non branded XXL cover which does do the job, but is now on it's last legs after 3 years use.

It should come with its own compression sack for storage when not in use or for taking it with you. Thos could be turned into a feature so that when compact, it had a strap /velcro to attach it to your rack.

Long straps that dont connect underneath the bike but on the side so you are not scrabbling on your hands and knees.

Reflective strips

Why on earth?
Suggestion, make it black or dark. No stupid strips/logos, camouflage. I agree with G&T: stealth is your friend.

don't cover a warm bike... the condensation can't get out and it consequently encourages corrosion very quickly.

anti melt would have to be asbestos or kevlar and that might scratch the bike as you fit the cover ... so 2 reasons not to bother with the point.

Back
Top Bottom