Anyone fitted Metxler roadtec 01 ?

Anakee three - came with the bike. Grippy but noisy and wore out quickly.
Pilot Road 4 - a previous favourite on my 12R but not so confidence inspiring on the GS plus they wore out in about 3k miles on hot spanish roads.

Currently wearing Metzler Tourance Next because that was all the dealer had. Rear is getting changed next week after 6500miles. Grippy, great in the wet and preserve handling well even when squaring off.

Oddly enough my 12R came with roadtecs and I didn't like them at all. I wouldn't consider them for my GS but then again the Nexts have broken my bias against Metzler.

Anakee three - came with the bike. Grippy but noisy and wore out quickly.
Pilot Road 4 - a previous favourite on my 12R but not so confidence inspiring on the GS plus they wore out in about 3k miles on hot spanish roads.

Currently wearing Metzler Tourance Next because that was all the dealer had. Rear is getting changed next week after 6500miles. Grippy, great in the wet and preserve handling well even when squaring off.

Oddly enough my 12R came with roadtecs and I didn't like them at all. I wouldn't consider them for my GS but then again the Nexts have broken my bias against Metzler.

Funny because I never had any issues with confidence with PR4's although they did flat spot pretty quickly.

I've now done 1000 miles on 01's absolutely delighted with them. Much quieter than anakee 3 that came with the bike new.

I'm tired of people comparing the A3 with Continental and Metzeler road tyres. Christ ...of course they are louder, the central part of the tyre has big gaps that can improve effectiveness in mud. The increase in volume is the price you pay for trail ability.

YOU CAN RIDE A FIRE ROAD OR TRAIL WITH THE MICHELIN ANAKEE3 YOU CANT WITH THE ROAD ONLY TYRES!

Personally ( and I've had about 4 different tyres in the last 18 months) these are my thoughts;

The Michelin Anakee 3 and similar Continental Trail attack2 are both superb, they wear reasonably well and certainly grip, wet/dry. They also have limited off-road ability.

The Metzeler Roadtec 01 and Continental Road Attack3 are the very latest technology for road ONLY use.
Both give phenomenal grip and make your GS feel "nimble" like a sportbike. The feel is astonishing for those of us bought up on Tourance and older designs.

The snag is they have limited life!
I certainly won't be buying the Roadtec 01's again because after 1000 miles my rear is showing significant wear. (In a similar way to Fredaroony's post above with his PR4)
Bruce Smart, Redrick , it seems pretty much everyone struggles to get reasonable mileage from the Metzeler Roadtecs.

Next purchase, I'll be returning to the Continental trail attack2. Trusted , grippy and lasts longer than 3800 miles :D

I reckon I'll get around 4,500m on Roadtecs (rear) on my S1000XR. Previously, on my GSA - I would get similar on PR4 or Tourance (original pattern, but Chinese-made).

All with similar mix of autoroute and twisties.

Al

I must be a superhero then because it only started happening in the last 700klms after fitting the Roadtecs :) I have the regular suspension GS and other than the pegs the handling seems fine.

I would love to see a picture of those tyres, they must be fried to the edges to get the pegs down.

Conti road attack 3 fitted now just need a bit of sun
They feel in the rain better than anakees but then I never had a problem with grip was just the noise.
As I'm not going off road a gravel car park is about my limits!I hope they will provide a good life and grip balance.
On way home in rain they felt good and I didn't feel nervous as brand new in rain.

Conti road attack 3 fitted now just need a bit of sun
They feel in the rain better than anakees but then I never had a problem with grip was just the noise.
As I'm not going off road a gravel car park is about my limits!I hope they will provide a good life and grip balance.
On way home in rain they felt good and I didn't feel nervous as brand new in rain.

I put a set of Roadtec 01s on just before my recent tour of Spain and Portugal. I was heavily loaded with pillion and luggage, except for the return leg from Barcelona as my wife flew back from there. I am probably not the most demanding of riders, but I thought they performed faultlessly, including in pouring rain for the last 100 or so miles to Calais, though the rest of the trip was pretty much dry apart from some brief showers on a couple of occasions. They did feel a little lighter at the front after I first changed from the Anakees but I soon got used to that, and they are definitely much quieter.

Regarding wear, I've done about 3000 miles on them now, almost all of that on the trip, and although they didn't initially look to be significantly squared off when I got back, having had a closer look at them recently, I can see that where some tread slots coincide with the transition from side to centre section the two sides of the slots seem to be slightly unevenly worn which might be an early sign of some squaring. Other than that there is no great wear evident, so I would think I should get another 2-3k miles at least out of them.

I did have a puncture while away. I think I was a bit unlucky in that whatever caused the hole penetrated the tyre in the bottom of one of the quite deep tread grooves where the tyre is obviously not very thick, and maybe wouldn't have done so if it had hit somewhere with a full thickness of rubber. Fixed OK at the second attempt with my Plug and Go kit (the first attempt had a slow leak) but I guess I ought to get it professionally repaired.

I would love to see a picture of those tyres, they must be fried to the edges to get the pegs down.

Nope, nothing special to look at. I'm running the same 36/38 PSI pressures I always have for the last 17,000klms on this bike too. I don't like the feel of 42 in the rear in the twisties.

txd9GoXH8k0pH_phtjFO5MIdCq-Kf6CdORD_PYDC0w1xwMlMMbowWrmyqzxpNdzA2m7VIT1TCRcu8uCZluzootcaMli6UTNWVkY04DmHs6-01ws1Fw6fFZ2CIONJDXttHrvZJlBzMRFLsedVaTPCD7-8xeLV1MVp5dH41mDXm_7arBBmv_9oymj8n4w9E-jD6Q3HhGBeIEpzsG8AlLTFRntQAWxOLA2shDsLylZCH9OzZsmxpfC0khLlKmbqeTbggyfXKHET4GbhWM_8RW3tN0_4nVb6W7-W3XJkeJBd1rXLMbvqSNFmn5nuh6Su3KPyCVlYr4RI4lXxgJRo9GQ6fEuXa32F_9IXD0zYxFwUy-EQOUERPa1cu_qA7-48v9w8UOtoKvBf0UydVJ3GY_RHShbuZq5DWhcfgXfQpqQAY4eeXaelvwoxy83iysclTIvC0Tu2GZuF_bEJWcLy--XFRN1HTLqoUnhvra4kaggzazBNEaqeW6sd1FaC52HBYKx2yYGs231Zu_XaJUd8yDq7FMe7kjeoO2okoJJKkIMGgrSQC1_Q8HUUFx3pZhfmdRizZ8IijeJk67YcAWfb43PXawFlF5sPOCc5vHgfT3HxRw4=w1388-h1850-no

7kVSLBgLn2G1UiICsuNwsDwLEiFcPvI74UHEfga4GS1SmSU1TvMyTx1ZA751pC41O460maKVUBMHb5E5Z_5ttN5vky-ST_fbVdUEtkH0KXuA0G7STvrUK6s9sRPJXxgrCqZsdwe6YhC0SKldv3-gWkV1xQZpxKZy96t-AiGFem7fiAgjkl6QwayKanCw3uq6oQgKPxs4t2oAdrxnju4rchb_wGX5jQuHEtM-G3ggAzT3sLFky2askpJX2fU4pczfhgBWj2bbImS7SLs5HgW50T4VHHm0WeT7JLKCaaSNuVVw-Fb4XobKwnwwgUnk59o9YlNJAw6Zk5I_DRC8W0FqIN2ycX-x02ELewcY--FhUvSk9qCr3kk0NEDY2azt2zIebSq2UNMtfrTGK-d9zggqSN5Ud6KEglQnRBewmPUbDlzh-Su5ZcaURJyd6tDtrmRP6bZ_0_Lb1oe-w7BHpGP46wXsxgRPT0ZvYcJWSDbSdioIph9iCN_5fJdc4snha-MZ_IPnVn_wcnZ70Ux3ar_iOfIgvq1Ajt99tCUFe5ldctxCb8En6S5ETIqVNrll2gvJOMgQEbj0Q27PuOLnmYDhsWn-SQ22Ple0pUTHD2Ic47g=w1388-h1850-no

OMIl24oDgP51M3IBa8qa8RUQWpfSBS1e685F11PfUx2lalDWu65Ra6H1T9BtxnxI2FPYpJEn0H46qiq22PtTsCRTlspvAkbPwTz643KtvUep2QH0-SIZcbB8kjKWafRsb8xiE1iKKoKbWJs0ujNJPUmfAEXWHu7VxyRmxfKBciHAIwQ9rNS8nkJBuT6WOpgbqwgawYoSemKK-D21Y5Ug6dUQKmc7fTSUIg1yOtGlz-xTe16vACY8dZB9PT8lQ_gnpdGovcGNFvTd4C0GcAPAkPgUndo1oahQiGMQOsfTDRp01zmZW1IkDbGv1oHlPXy7RO-TYCBYJrQkDg_xOY3NaH3wgf9PvZAiaxS3aRBdAF7Z0qXmPvcIsGDAks0iifn79SL_6BnccmvgEAvodch00E1jPwrkVMpzZvmohY_R4VUENFO35HfyQTgcqHYExqq2qND3enX6L4Gcwsf9W_WnbFPisY6Lz0gCLWmmVQXaTMToVTxJgcol90jRVnFdNgtN0hLwdj5IGYPfrLOOhDx_ryGXpYFHwBBC_o5gh-fi8jzt8NRACnbuVrTpUGZ5x0ZIXSf71frgVvpHmFTHsP0MTt9HZbWOgXpPb-hF2qMyDtY=w1388-h1850-no

It might be worth getting the ride height checked , my tyres are the same as yours on the low chassis and no pegs down even fully loaded.

It might be worth getting the ride height checked , my tyres are the same as yours on the low chassis and no pegs down even fully loaded.

Yeah maybe but just weird is only recently started happening. Thought I'd ask if other had the same experience with these tyres.

I have a GS911 so might try calibrating the ride height sensor.

I have a set only covered around 700 miles .
I took them off as for me the front end seemed to squirm under hard breaking and follow a lot of the road surface but the grip was very good and the tyre did follow the lines like a laser , but did not suit my riding style, I switched to PR5 .
The first set I used was on tour with the wife 2 up fully loaded over , but through the trip I was constantly thinking I wish I had different tyres on , MHO of course.

I have a set only covered around 700 miles .
I took them off as for me the front end seemed to squirm under hard breaking and follow a lot of the road surface but the grip was very good and the tyre did follow the lines like a laser , but did not suit my riding style, I switched to PR5 .
The first set I used was on tour with the wife 2 up fully loaded over , but through the trip I was constantly thinking I wish I had different tyres on , MHO of course.

But you are mad.............:beerjug:

Running roadtecs too. Regularly scrape my toes on the twisties so could see how a bit more lean might scrape the pegs.
No complaints generally except the rear has squared a fair bit after 3k miles

I put them on my s1000xr and loved them so much that I fitted them to my gs as well. They feel better suited to the XR. However, as they come to the end of their life they have become unreliable in heavy cornering on the gs, and I almost had an off ... twice. So much so that I have put my spare set of wheels on with PR4’s. These felt much better, if noisier on the front end.

I personally wouldn’t fit another set. Really great at the outset, but a bit lightweight to me for the GS.

Well , done 700 miles so far in the wet and really good , may go against my judgment and try the cr3 again , I think It’s worth a go , as I can’t see 2500 plus out of this set

At least they are good in the wet, gonna give PR5 a try in the spring, hopefully might get a few good winter days to finish off the A3,s

Back
Top Bottom