Don't understand insurance companies

sherpatensing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My other half passed her full test last year and her first 'big' bike was a Triumph Street Triple R.100hp ish. Bought mainly due to it being lowered and light (she's 5' 2" and 7 stone). Insurance no problem. She later decided that she wanted heated grips, some luggage carrying capability, well handbag and shoes.! So she bought an F650GS off this parish 75hp ish and upon changing the insurance, received a £50 refund. Now whilst the GS seat height is low, she finds it very difficult to wheel around etc and it feels too heavy. Sooo now she has a Honda CB500F 47hp. Same insurance company won't insure her 'because it's a sports bike'...!!! Can anyone explain this madness?

125V varadero fully comp £130 51 years young 4yrs NCB

Midterm change to R1200gs £10 and £30 admin fee (FFS)

R1200gs fully comp 5yrs NCB 52 year £169 .... 1 mod, aftermarket adjustable brake & clutch levers .. Insurer wont cover !!!

New insurer who will cover £189.. Taking the Piss springs to mind ....

I see Swinton are axing staff as people are preferring to get cover over the web,

No Shit Sherlock!,

That would be because when you get a quote off the web,

it doesn't just "run it through the system" when you call to check,

and find the price quoted, has suddenly gone up £50

My other half passed her full test last year and her first 'big' bike was a Triumph Street Triple R.100hp ish. Bought mainly due to it being lowered and light (she's 5' 2" and 7 stone). Insurance no problem. She later decided that she wanted heated grips, some luggage carrying capability, well handbag and shoes.! So she bought an F650GS off this parish 75hp ish and upon changing the insurance, received a £50 refund. Now whilst the GS seat height is low, she finds it very difficult to wheel around etc and it feels too heavy. Sooo now she has a Honda CB500F 47hp. Same insurance company won't insure her 'because it's a sports bike'...!!! Can anyone explain this madness?

My guess would be that as a 500 it is insured by more people and they have stats that say that it cost them more to insure one than the others you have had, I DONT say it makes any sense but thats a guess. Its cost them more for that model so they charge more to insure it, after a point in the quote, its less about the person and more about the vehicle, type etc and thats based on their past experience of it and nothing to do with you.

So it followed Bell ends ride CB500F's (statistically speaking) and dont ride street triples or GS, or more of them do, and they make more claims, and the bikes are fragile so expensive to fix and the parts are expensive, OK thats all a guess and made up but it sounds about right :)

Presumably they pay out more for CB500F policy holders than F650 policy holders and load the premiums accordingly.

CB500F thats one of the bikes used by most motorcycle training schools, that may be the reason.

Carole Nash: '17 GSA and '14 NineT, 11yrs NCB, garaged and the premium has gone from £598 to £978.

Thanks for your comments, I think the explanations are feasible. It just seems a bit crazy that a relative novice can insure a Street Triple R but not a CB500F..!

Jeremy, I dumped CN a few years ago for their hike in premiums and extortionate costs for an address change

I presume the CB500F has a fairing.

so new rider likely to drop the bike and fairing needs replacing

as others have said insurance is a minefield.
Just changed from a R1200 GS Triple Black to a R1200 Rallye sport - refund on premium - I was expecting an increase

Carole Nash: '17 GSA and '14 NineT, 11yrs NCB, garaged and the premium has gone from £598 to £978.

BMW quoted £450 excess and £644 premium.

The title of this thread is:
Don't understand insurance companies
here's an explanation.

Your expiring insurer, who maybe insured you for years or just bought your insurance in at a discount for just one year, has decided to put your renewal premium up.

You did not like their renewal offer (which you were under no obligation to accept) so you shopped around.

A different insurer was not prepared to match your expiring premium of £598. The closest they / you could get to is £644. This is £46 more than your last year's premium or a 7% increase. Changes in your excess and / or other terms, unknown. It's that simple. Though some bods might think you are being roundly shafted with a pineapple for paying £644; they may be right or wrong. In under a year you'll be in a position to compare 2018 with 2016 and 2015.

I presume the CB500F has a fairing.

so new rider likely to drop the bike and fairing needs replacing

as others have said insurance is a minefield.
Just changed from a R1200 GS Triple Black to a R1200 Rallye sport - refund on premium - I was expecting an increase
I doubt it.

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that damage to the bike is a trivial risk for the insurance company. Their biggest risk is the number of people you're likely to kill or maim. The difference between TPFT and fully comp is often minor.

Work this one out, helping a mate out the other day delivering a car and got talking to the neighbour who was telling us his son has just passed his test at 17 years of age .

He had saved up and bought himself a nice little one owner 52 plate 1.2 VW Polo only to be told that for him to insure it would be over £2200 fully comp and just under £1900 TPFT for a car that cost £400.

As his parents were about to get rid of his mothers 3 year old Audi A1 1.0 tfsi se they got a quote for fully comp insurance on it for the lad as the owner and main driver ......£1200 fully comp , so now the lad is the new owner and registered keeper of a 3 year old Audi and the Polo has been sold off .

Ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom