Off Road in Morocco 2017

That last drop down to the road did not seem as intimidating as it did last year...

Having now done that route on your 690 and the AT what's your bike preference for that trip?

Given that I rode there and back rather than shipping the bike, the AT was the only option ...

The AT is a heavy old bike and the stock suspension did struggle when we picked the pace up. I've just started stripping the AT down for a nut and bolt restore, and as part of this I will be upgrading the suspension (Boano Marzocchi Forks and a Nitron Shock). Would I take the AT back over the 690, absolutely!! The AT went everywhere the smaller bikes did, albeit a little slower but with a lot more comfort - :thumb

The first day was a nice start to the trip, no real issues other than Mr Butlers bike ran out of fuel 5 mins from the Atlas Hotel. I gave Mr Butler fuel from my spare tank and Paul D had a tow rope (Paul D had everything), and towed him when the bike still wouldn't start.

I zoomed off to the hotel which is on top of the hillside over looking the town, fantastic views. When I got there they were fully booked, which was a supplies as last year at the same time we were just about the only people in the hotel. I pressed the manager and all he could offer us was a suite with 4 double beds and one bathroom but he wanted 2,000 MAD which at 0.078 to the pound is £156.00 not bad but we decided to try somewhere else.

Plan B was to go into the centre of town and stay in the Parador. So off we went, well almost, Mr B was convinced that there was something wrong with the carbs on his bike and wanted to find a place in the shade to work on it. Fortunately the trip from the Atlas hotel into town was all down hill. Part way down his bike started, the petrol I had given him must and made it's way the the carbs and he was on his way, much to everyone's relief.

Get gets to the Parador, Full ! Guy on reception says it's because for the Chinese, a couple of Chinese travel companies had done deals with the hotels in and around Chechaouen. So while the rest of the guys are locking up there bikes Paul D and I go looking for digs. Everywhere is full ! We did get offered one room with two double beds but we declined.

Finally Paul R and Mr Butler go off and look for rooms, they come back and they have found a gem of a place!! Take a look, only 350 MAD inc break fast that's £27.30 each!!

42708c47460af01edf0c6751da64ed4d.jpg

d31f539c49f42578bf1230933eb5c81f.jpg

48255397be872132515d77842c27961b.jpg

d4381878564ccc087132f619641ddd15.jpg

8f29c88a178bbcf85451d83eb281b3c3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We all get settled and walk the short distance to the Parador hotel where their bar is open, we soon learn that just because it's open it doesn't mean they have beer !! We start with a bottle each of Casablanca, then another, then another, they run out of Casablanca, we are reduced to Flag, one Flag and then time for food.

Everyone apart from me is hungry, for some reason I am too tired to eat, Paul R, Paul D and Mr B go off for a nose bag, I buy a bag of nuts, two Snickers bars and two cans of Coke.

There's a reason our hotel was such a bargain! So at 8:14 pm the call to pray starts, the hotel is next door to a Mosque. So 'I can tell you that the call to pray is:
08:14pm
09:44pm
05:11 am
06:44 am

We all agreed that we'd have breakfast around 8:30 - 9:00 and be off before 10am.

Day 2.

All is good, I woke up again! After saying my prays (for the call to stop), I can hear someone lumbering about, looks at the time. Man it's only 6am, walks from the room, looks down and sees Paul R with all his bike stuff ready.

I say "Paul ! Wots up mate? You ok?"

Paul R: "fucking brekky ain't ready !"

Me: "Mate it's 6am ! "

Paul R: "No it's not, it's 8am, brekky is at 8!"

Me: "Did you change your watch?"

Paul R: "wot? Yes forward to Spanish time, then back to English time on the ferry, then back to English time last night, fuck sorry! I might have took the hour off again this morning"

Me: "Tit!"

We head for "Tim's Goat Trail" that's wot it's called ! Look at the maps.

No pics, I was trying to stay on, hopefully Paul D has vid of it.

Paul R came off, he hit a very tight gap between two rocks and was catapulted into the water, he learns fast, he was out of the water and on his bike before I could get my phone out !!

So with "Tim's goat trail" all done, it's a long haul South towards Azrou, we weren't long off the trail and the roads are rubbish we are heading down a steep hill which has some tight turns on it, the surface of the road is small loose stones most of which have all been forced to the centre of the road due to traffic, Paul R hits a patch of loose stones on the approach to a tight left hand bend and looses the back wheel and comes off. He's up quick as a flash but he's been unlucky.

fb423241f6b7f6931411689ef02ece42.jpg

505d21565558bac00b5ad18ea48ca277.jpg

d215cf94fb467b6f6d3c41e3199e17dd.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

When he fell off a stone has made a hole in the casing just under the oil filler cap.

As you can see from the picture above Paul R was able to bodge it with ABRO Steel putty.

Again, thanks to Paul D.

Oh, forgot to say that Paul R hurt his arm (well a scratch really) then moaned about every time we stopped. I can say that cos he's reading this RR now !! Girl !

As you ride towards Azrou you pass a number of orange orchards, the smell of the orange blossom is magical, it doesn't smell of oranges but more of a bitter sweet floral smell, very distinctive.

By the side of the road there are locals selling oranges to passing motorists. Mr B decides he'd like a couple of oranges so we stop and goes to one of the vendors, the takes his money then proceeds to stuff a large plastic bag with oranges. Mr B is saying "no, no, I just want two!!"

We are riding on decent (ish) tarmac for a while and we get near the area where the Roman site called Volubilis is when Mr B pulls up with a problem with his bike, he says that the front wheel doesn't feel right, after a couple of minutes he decides to ride with it and see how it goes.

We continue and there doesn't seem to be any further problems, we get to Azrou around 5:30pm which isn't bad time for the number of stops we had.

We check into the local hotel, I make a mental note not to stay there again, we drop our stuff off and go to find food and if possible a beer.

Which hotel in Azrou did you stop at? We were there a few days ago and stopped at the Panorama.

The Moroccan oranges are the best I have ever tasted and huge to boot and dirt cheap; everyday we stopped in small towns and villages and bought fruit from the local traders, 15 dirhams (just over a pound) would buy you a bag of oranges, bananas, etc - I lived on oranges during the day on our trip, we arrived back in Spain yesterday.

Which hotel in Azrou did you stop at? We were there a few days ago and stopped at the Panorama.

The Moroccan oranges are the best I have ever tasted and huge to boot and dirt cheap; everyday we stopped in small towns and villages and bought fruit from the local traders, 15 dirhams (just over a pound) would buy you a bag of oranges, bananas, etc - I lived on oranges during the day on our trip, we arrived back in Spain yesterday.

We stayed in the Hotel des Cedres, in the town just down from the Panorama. We did go for a couple beers in the Panorama, looked nice enough, think I'll stay there next time. Here's a picture from 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 546
We bumped into Tiffany Coates in Chefchouan at the hotel Atlas the morning we left for Azrou, she said her group were staying at the Palais du Cerisiers which we went past on the main road going into Azrou, looked pretty good so may be worth checking out next time.

Before our beers we had a wander around town, we got some local soup which was veg, lentil with little balls of lamb, a little spicy and very flavour some, this came with a local flat bread, which was more like a Roti and was made while we waited. I think for the four of us it was less than £5 !!

Next morning we went to the cafe across the road and round to the same shop we had our soup from, I had warm bread and cheese and two boiled eggs, very tasty it was too. We had a lot of eggs on this trip! We ate our breakfast with our coffee, all very civilised.

We packed our bike, paid the little security man our 100 MAD and off we went.

DAY 3

If I had to pick a favourite day from the last couple years I'd probably pick Day 3, we cover so much ground and hit almost no tarmac, it can be a little challenging but it's not a race and we have all day. The scenery changes throughout the day from thick forest to flat plains, to mountain climbs and drops, truly fantastic, which I'd took more pictures.

Here's some:

54cfd9c047e2983ea9b70b06fb45f212.jpg

1941827f7dff7a19d28a07a56d9b8a85.jpg

5f5d4287aa057661b31a97c33a678336.jpg

You'll notice from now on every picture of Paul R's KTM he's either on it or it's against a wall, tree or something, he's been mounting the bike by standing on the peg while the stand was down and has fucked the stand. Who ate all the pies ??

Back
Top Bottom