Battery dead - can I use car charger ?

roadiesean

Reaction score
My 1100gs has got a low charged battery, not completely dead. Can I charge it with a car battery charger or not ? I kind of feel like not but not sure why. If I can where do I clip the charger on ??
Thanks
Sean

No harm in using a car battery charger.... if you can get to both the terminals on the battery best to clip the charger on to those ... just don't leave it, and keep an eye on it.... a couple of hours will be plenty. you could always get a lithium ion jump starter kit.... they work a treat, jump it then take it for a long ride ;)

Depends upon output, if it is under 4 amps, then yes you can charge it no problem.

Just lift seat and connect it up, it should take approx 4 hours to give it full charge.

If it is an old battery, then either look to replace or get something like an optimate or a lithium ion starter pack, they're around £40 on amazon.

Sadly, it maybe on its way out and a new one is best option.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Thanks lads. I'll order a new one and try the charger to get on the road. It's been sat a lot for a long while.

Hi Sean, my old fashioned car battery charger has fried my battery - so be carefull !! You should buy an Optimate or similar - and keep the battery topped up regularly.

Don't buy a have-to-top-it-up battery ! Get a gel or mat - not one that holds dilute sulfuric. What other vehicle manufacturer requires an owner to undo thirteen bolts, unclip an electrical connector and detach four fuel lines, as well as loosening the attachment of two oil cooler modules, just to access the vehicle's battery ? Ridiculous.

Don't buy a have-to-top-it-up battery ! Get a gel or mat - not one that holds dilute sulfuric. What other vehicle manufacturer requires an owner to undo thirteen bolts, unclip an electrical connector and detach four fuel lines, as well as loosening the attachment of two oil cooler modules, just to access the vehicle's battery ? Ridiculous.

I think you have a different GS to the rest of us.

I think an Optimate to get it going and I'll get a gel battery fitted. Thanks guys. Is there a specific one to go for ? Whats the Can-Bus specific one ? Do I need that for my 1100 ??

Thanks
Sean :aidan

1100 doesn't have canbus, Lithium Ion is the way forward, better tham agm or gel, lighter (every little bit helps) and hold a charge longer and give higher output at start.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I think you have the wrong vehicle here, you can get to the battery for charging simply by lifting the rear of the tank. I can get the tank off my 1150 in a couple of minutes,pull off side panel, remove one bolt, one block connector,pull two overflow pipes and two fuel lines,takes no time! granted not all bikes have the quick release fuel lines though. Or, even easier, just plug a charger into the accessory socket.

John

Will the Optimate 2 work for my bike ? Sorry for the twenty stupid questions ! Will it fit in the accessories hole (??!!) on the side ??

Back
Top Bottom