Another Suspension Question

Rusty Bolts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 66 plate Alpine TE GS with ESA with 7k miles I'm finding that the super smooth Devon roads are causing me a couple of interesting moments particularly in corners. I weigh 99kgs fully kitted out so I have the following settings on the ESA-
Rider plus luggage
Damping on Hard
As I exit corners and the suspension compresses due to bumps and mild acceleration etc but the front end gets a bit of a wobble on. I have tried it with very gentle acceleration and the results are similar. I moved the damping to normal and the seat of pants feeling from the rear feels like it's a bit choppy in the straights and not really under control in the bends.:nenau
Any suggestions to different settings?

I have a 66 plate Alpine TE GS with ESA with 7k miles I'm finding that the super smooth Devon roads are causing me a couple of interesting moments particularly in corners. I weigh 99kgs fully kitted out so I have the following settings on the ESA-
Rider plus luggage
Damping on Hard
As I exit corners and the suspension compresses due to bumps and mild acceleration etc but the front end gets a bit of a wobble on. I have tried it with very gentle acceleration and the results are similar. I moved the damping to normal and the seat of pants feeling from the rear feels like it's a bit choppy in the straights and not really under control in the bends.:nenau
Any suggestions to different settings?

If you are solo, set it just ....to solo, back the damping off to normal or soft

Many people assume they need the damping on hard, on the whole....... they don't

Back the suspension off, the ride will improve

Different bike, but theory is the same -I run virtually no preload on my bike solo and I'm 100 kgs and minimal damping

Other than that, maybe you need a heavier weight spring on the rear...............which is major drawback of ESA, they make a suspension to fit all the people which is nigh on impossible, as suspension experts have told me

Do you actually have anything in the luggage? Might be to much dsmping etc. My gs non esa was harsh and would hop and skip over bumps out of corners. The damping was set to two up. On the rear. Setting back to one up means it actually comprrsses and soaks up bumps etc

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I run mine on solo and normal for 2-up works great for meonly use solo and luggage when we go touring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran my lowered 2015 GS on Rider only preload and normal damping (and never soft), for the most part. I'd toggle it up to Hard for full-on progressive sections only. I could never complain about the handling. It would bottom out very occasionally. I weigh a bit more than you do, but not a lot.

Thanks for the replies, all seem to say similar i.e. too much pre-load and damping. Ill drop the pre-load to single rider and select 'Normal' damping and see how that works.
Cheers :beerjug:

I use solo rider and normal most of the time, change it to hard when fully loaded with pillion and luggage.

Bike is a tad tall for me with pillion setting on.

Well that seems to have sorted it
Solo rider with normal damping and it's calmed it down a lot. Cheers :beerjug: everyone

Back
Top Bottom